'Tis the season

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 10:19 AM
'Tis the season
Got any entertaining stories from this holiday season?

Here's mine (I hope it's entertaining Tongue )

My 13 year old daughter requested a trampoline for Christmas (she's a 2-time state champion on trampoline so it definitely wouldn't go to waste). The local sporting goods store was having a sale and I bought one for less than half price! Woohoo! But that's not the story. A guy from the store helped me load the box into my car so, with the two of us, I didn't realize just how heavy it is. On my way home, I was thinking "where am I going to hide this big box". We were going out as a family that night so I had to get it out of my car right away.

When I got home, I noticed the box said it weighs 170 lbs! Oh crap! Not only did I have to find some creative place to hide this box that's about 6' x 4' x 4', but with that weight the attic was definitely not an option. In fact, lifting it by myself was not an option, but no one else was home. So I backed my car halfway into the garage, used the end of the back of the car (it's an SUV) to hold one end of the box and lowered the other end to the ground. I tumbled it end for end into the house and pushed it across the carpet. I decided the coat closet would be the best hiding place since no one goes in there very often. But, of course, the box didn't fit through the door. It's a folding door so it takes up some room folded. I was finally able to take the door off the hinges and get the trampoline in there. Whew! The things we do to make people happy at holiday time! Oh and no, I'm not wrapping it. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Impulse's post
04-12-2014, 11:54 AM
RE: 'Tis the season
Got in a fight at a Halloween party with the husband of a woman I'm sleeping with. But I made sure to let him make the first move so he ended up looking like a lunatic and I look like an innocent victim of unfounded suspicions. As a result, he's not allowed at our parties anymore.

I found that pretty entertaining.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-12-2014, 12:25 PM
(04-12-2014 11:54 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Got in a fight at a Halloween party with the husband of a woman I'm sleeping with. But I made sure to let him make the first move so he ended up looking like a lunatic and I look like an innocent victim of unfounded suspicions. As a result, he's not allowed at our parties anymore.

Wow! I don't know what to do with this....
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
10-12-2014, 09:32 AM
(04-12-2014 12:25 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 11:54 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Got in a fight at a Halloween party with the husband of a woman I'm sleeping with. But I made sure to let him make the first move so he ended up looking like a lunatic and I look like an innocent victim of unfounded suspicions. As a result, he's not allowed at our parties anymore.

Wow! I don't know what to do with this....

Wrap it in a tortilla, deep-fry it, and serve it with an ice-cold beer, because it's delicious. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Our neighborhood has ordered 15 truckloads (? I forget the term used) of snow to make a sledding hill for this weekend.

I am very curious how well this will turn out, I live in SC, temps are between 50-70 degrees this week.

We are going to have a mountain of slush, or a flood, not sure which.

stay tuned.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
11-12-2014, 07:57 AM
LMFAO.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
11-12-2014, 08:49 AM
How big was it? 10ft? 12ft? Because yea, I feel ya pain about lifting boxes of trampolines (and bbq's and various large furniture items and pools).

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
(10-12-2014 09:42 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Our neighborhood has ordered 15 truckloads (? I forget the term used) of snow to make a sledding hill for this weekend.

I am very curious how well this will turn out, I live in SC, temps are between 50-70 degrees this week.

We are going to have a mountain of slush, or a flood, not sure which.

stay tuned.

Lol, let us know how that goes! It doesn't sound very promising unless those temperatures drop quite a bit. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
11-12-2014, 01:11 PM
(11-12-2014 08:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  How big was it? 10ft? 12ft? Because yea, I feel ya pain about lifting boxes of trampolines (and bbq's and various large furniture items and pools).

12 ft.
Yeah, I did the same thing years ago with my treadmill, but at least then I knew it was going to be that heavy.

11-12-2014, 05:33 PM
(04-12-2014 10:19 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Got any entertaining stories from this holiday season?

Here's mine (I hope it's entertaining Tongue )

My 13 year old daughter requested a trampoline for Christmas (she's a 2-time state champion on trampoline so it definitely wouldn't go to waste). The local sporting goods store was having a sale and I bought one for less than half price! Woohoo! But that's not the story. A guy from the store helped me load the box into my car so, with the two of us, I didn't realize just how heavy it is. On my way home, I was thinking "where am I going to hide this big box". We were going out as a family that night so I had to get it out of my car right away.

When I got home, I noticed the box said it weighs 170 lbs! Oh crap! Not only did I have to find some creative place to hide this box that's about 6' x 4' x 4', but with that weight the attic was definitely not an option. In fact, lifting it by myself was not an option, but no one else was home. So I backed my car halfway into the garage, used the end of the back of the car (it's an SUV) to hold one end of the box and lowered the other end to the ground. I tumbled it end for end into the house and pushed it across the carpet. I decided the coat closet would be the best hiding place since no one goes in there very often. But, of course, the box didn't fit through the door. It's a folding door so it takes up some room folded. I was finally able to take the door off the hinges and get the trampoline in there. Whew! The things we do to make people happy at holiday time! Oh and no, I'm not wrapping it. Smile

I think you should set it up after she goes to sleep on Christmas Eve...and wrap it! Angel

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post