'Tis the season

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: 'Tis the season
My 7 year old asked my wife if he could stop going to church.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Tis the season alright.
12-12-2014, 09:52 AM
(11-12-2014 05:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I think you should set it up after she goes to sleep on Christmas Eve...and wrap it! Angel

Yeah, that's not happening. Smile

First, I'd have to drag it all the way to the back of the house and outside because it's too big for inside. Then I'd have to be really quiet about setting it up because my daughter's bedroom has a wall at the back of the house. Finally, there's no way I'd be wrapping it....
...because I'd be having too much fun jumping on it for the rest of the night. Weeeeeeee! Woooohoooooo! (oops, people sleeping... shhhhhh!!) Tongue
I'll be dragging it over to the tree and putting a really big bow on it. Yes

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Make a tag (the usual "To [daughter] From Dad") and put it on the tree. Then attach a string and wind it all through the house, eventually ending in the closet.

Then she can help you carry it outside. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
12-12-2014, 11:50 AM
My (step)dad set mine up Christmas Eve night when I was 8 and put a big red bow in the middle of it - it was my first Christmas I didn't believe in Santa. I just now remembered that he did that... Wow. That was actually really sweet of him.

My son's teacher sent home a letter he wrote for us to mail to Santa - he wants a small nerf gun that will shoot fake bullets "as high as outer space," a remote control T. rex, and the new WiiU Smashbrothers.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
12-12-2014, 12:20 PM
(12-12-2014 11:14 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Make a tag (the usual "To [daughter] From Dad") and put it on the tree. Then attach a string and wind it all through the house, eventually ending in the closet.

Then she can help you carry it outside. Big Grin

Lol, a variation I have done in the past is to start with a note that says "look under the sofa cushion for your present". Under the sofa cushion is another note saying to look somewhere else. That goes on 10 or 15 times until they finally find their present in the last location.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
12-12-2014, 12:25 PM
(12-12-2014 11:50 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My (step)dad set mine up Christmas Eve night when I was 8 and put a big red bow in the middle of it - it was my first Christmas I didn't believe in Santa. I just now remembered that he did that... Wow. That was actually really sweet of him.

That was nice of him. I would ordinarily do that too, but between the fact that she's old enough to no longer believe in Santa and this particular present being so heavy, she's just going to have to understand with this one. Tongue

(12-12-2014 11:50 AM)Nurse Wrote:  My son's teacher sent home a letter he wrote for us to mail to Santa - he wants a small nerf gun that will shoot fake bullets "as high as outer space," a remote control T. rex, and the new WiiU Smashbrothers.

So where are you going to find a nerf gun that shoots fake bullets that far. Unsure Santa might have some explaining to do. Smile Does he realize that "outer space" begins at the atmosphere that he can reach up and touch? Smartass

12-12-2014, 12:38 PM
We are still working on that concept. Tongue It's his way of saying he wants it to shoot really really really really far and be useful patrolling space and fighting mean aliens. He just turned six a few days ago. Sometimes he wants to be an astronaut, other times he says he's not brave enough and is afraid he will get lost in space because he doesn't know the directions. Granted, he knows how to read, can give you street directions to the next town over/grandparents/school/Mexican Restaurant and Panera, and has been interested in maps since he was three.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
12-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Cute. Well, in that case, you may have to tell him that his new nerf gun (assuming he's getting one) will shoot fake bullets as high as outer space, but first he's going to need a rocket to take him up that high. And for that, he needs to be old enough to become an astronaut. Tongue