Tithing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2013, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 04:05 PM by mec.)
Tithing
Was watching the insp channel doing some research. While watching the tithing issue came up requesting $360 from all believers watching the show. There was promise of great rewards in your life and in the afterlife as well.

To me it reminded me of a ponzie scheme similar to Bernie Madoff.

Often times when I used to attend church in my younger days money was often brought up in sermons as well. We need money for this or for that and requests for additional proceeds often asked for building a bigger church.

These things often caused doubts and skepticism for me. If you can relate feel free to reply.

Diety Free in Dixieland
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mec's post
16-06-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: Tithing
Yeah those televangelists have no compunction about separating people from their hard-earned cash, even poor old folks on a fixed income. Like George Carlin said in the Religion is Bullshit sketch, god will send you to hell, but he loves you, and he needs money!

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
16-06-2013, 09:23 AM
It makes you wonder about the whole doing good deeds, belief in God and worship of same, following specific rules, etc. Sounds a lot more like paying your way into Heaven through an installment plan.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
16-06-2013, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 12:23 PM by Bjorn.)
The churches want power, and money gives them power... Like the catholic 10% tithe plan. Say a rich catholic has a salarie of 500k. If hes devout enough he provides his parish or church with 50k! Well i suck at math but im pretty sure thats right Smile
Right or not, that's a massive amount of money to give to a bullshit club
[+] 2 users Like Bjorn's post
16-06-2013, 12:39 PM
The three top runners for this kind of thing is as follows:

1. Catholic church, which likes to use guilt and bribes like the idea that whatever extra they tithe will be returned to them ten-fold. The Catholic Church's income is estimated somewhere in the billions of dollars per year. The church usually only ask a mandatory 10%.

2. The Evangelist church, much like the Catholic church they use the promise of getting back more than they are giving. It's like playing a perpetual lottery to me...
Anyway, they also use the kind of fiery speeches that would have made Hitler cream in his pants, to rile people up into a frenzy and lose track of their judgement. It's playing on their emotion is the worst possible way. The Evangelical church usually rakes in a cool 500 million per year.

3. The Mormon church takes a more direct approach in that they take anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of their member's income. The estimated annual income of the Mormon church is around anywhere from 50 million to 200 million per year.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DeathsNotoriousAngel's post
16-06-2013, 03:56 PM
(16-06-2013 09:23 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It makes you wonder about the whole doing good deeds, belief in God and worship of same, following specific rules, etc. Sounds a lot more like paying your way into Heaven through an installment plan.

You are exactly right in your comment. Thanks for your feedback..

Diety Free in Dixieland
16-06-2013, 03:57 PM
(16-06-2013 08:57 AM)cjs Wrote:  Yeah those televangelists have no compunction about separating people from their hard-earned cash, even poor old folks on a fixed income. Like George Carlin said in the Religion is Bullshit sketch, god will send you to hell, but he loves you, and he needs money!

Thanks for your comments my friend.

Diety Free in Dixieland
[+] 1 user Likes mec's post
16-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Love the siggy, mec!

Godless in the Magnolia State
16-06-2013, 05:32 PM
The bible used for fraud? Say it isn't so!

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
17-06-2013, 06:06 PM
(16-06-2013 04:31 PM)cjs Wrote:  Love the siggy, mec!

Thanks cjs

Diety Free in Dixieland

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Spritual Mathematics (Or Make Sure You're Tithing When You're Drowning In Debt) Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 6 404 11-06-2012 06:51 PM
Last Post: AmishLatinJew