Tithing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: Tithing
(15-06-2013 10:55 AM)mec Wrote:  Was watching the insp channel doing some research. While watching the tithing issue came up requesting $360 from all believers watching the show. There was promise of great rewards in your life and in the afterlife as well.

To me it reminded me of a ponzie scheme similar to Bernie Madoff.

Often times when I used to attend church in my younger days money was often brought up in sermons as well. We need money for this or for that and requests for additional proceeds often asked for building a bigger church.

These things often caused doubts and skepticism for me. If you can relate feel free to reply.

One of the things that apparently turned my grandparents away from going to church was the constant begging for money, for this, that, and the other thing. They just stopped attending church, and I never knew them to be religious or church-going from my childhood.

When the Jehovah's Witnesses came calling on my parents, one of the things that they found attractive was the fact that there was no passing the collection plate at their services. Instead, there are "contribution boxes" in all Kingdom Halls and donations are voluntary and private.

Moving ahead 25 years to around the time when I quit, the contribution boxes were still there, however I started noticing a lot more direct requests for financial support. They would ask at almost all meetings to support local Kingdom Hall improvements, Branch Office construction projects, the "world wide preaching work" (missionaries, branch office volunteers known as "Bethelites", "special pioneers" who devote approximately 150 hours/month in the public ministry, etc.).

I later learned from another exJW who regularly volunteered in the receivables department at the big conventions, that there is a total scam involved in how funds are raised at these conventions. During the course of each convention day, there are sort of housekeeping announcements just before breaking for lunch. One of the announcements involves how much money has been donated to cover the cost of renting the venue. Oddly enough there is never a surplus. One of the reasons for this is because (a) before any revenue pays for the venue, a per capita donation is sent to the mothership [my term, not theirs] - the Watchtower Society - and (b) because their procedure is set up so that the revenue disclosed in the announcements is the previous day's total, not the actual revenue collected thus far. Then they lay a huge guilt trip on everyone to make them think that they haven't donated enough to even cover expenses and that unless the expenses are covered they may not have the premises next year.

One thing I have to say the JWs got right was when their second president stated "Religion is a snare and a racket."

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2013, 09:15 PM
(17-06-2013 06:06 PM)mec Wrote:  
(16-06-2013 04:31 PM)cjs Wrote:  Love the siggy, mec!

Thanks cjs

"Deity"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Oops, mec, Chas is correct on the spelling of "deity."

Godless in the Magnolia State
19-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I have actually taken up the old concept of tithing in that you take 10% of one's income and divide it by three. First third goes to the church for upkeep and the like. and the other two thirds are for partying on High holy days. Which in Canada is Christmas, Easter and Annunciation (New Years). So that is like 11 days to spend six percent of your money on a party Wooo! Tongue .

Personally I don't mind this style. It is a little different from what the church recommends with it's straight 10% (which can be avoided helping out the church by singing in the choir or Alter server.) I disagree with this as the first collection that happens normally goes to the main catholic charity in the region while the second (which occurs after mass and rarely equals much) is for building and the like. I dislike this as charity is never meant to be mandatory. So I intend on giving my 3% directly to the church for building repair, running costs and the like (which I would like to think includes other things like supporting science and the arts) and do charity on my own.

But mainly it's for the wicked parties.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc