Poll: Without any reference to whether or not you are certain of your answer or not, do you as an Atheist simply lack belief in God, or do you believe that there is in fact no God?
I lack belief in God.
I believe that God does not exist.
[Show Results]

To Be(lieve) or Not to Be(lieve)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
To Be(lieve) or Not to Be(lieve)
Sup, erbody.

I'm curious.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: To Be(lieve) or Not to Be(lieve)
That is(nt) the question!?

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I lack a belief in a general God. A prime-mover, if you will.

I positively believe that the gods of Christianity, Islam, Norse mythology, and many, many other such gods do not exist.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like Misanthropik's post
12-01-2013, 04:33 PM
(12-01-2013 04:30 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I lack a belief in a general God. A prime-mover, if you will.

I positively believe that the gods of Christianity, Islam, Norse mythology, and many, many other such gods do not exist.
Beat me to it! Weeping

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
12-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Hehehehe. What he said. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 05:00 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(12-01-2013 04:30 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I lack a belief in a general God. A prime-mover, if you will.

You beat me to it as well.

Evidence can be provided that humans predate the first mention of these gods by hundreds of thousands of years. These gods and their attributes can also be linguistically and culturally linked, showing that some are based on earlier models. Additionally, creation myths from various holy books can be disproven based on what modern science tells us about the universe. However, the belief in some sort of deistic prime-mover goes beyond science and anthropology into the realm of philosophy. I have seen no evidence for the existence of such a being or consciousness, so I lack a belief in it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
It's funny how many concepts get mixed up too.
God, the existence of any God, is rediculous. Absolutely. A single omniscient, omnipotent being who created the entire Universe and guides our movements with a master plan.Just saying that is rediculous.

We then mix that with the existence of heaven. God's Heaven, where only the good and righteous go. In Christian mythology, only the "true believers" go to heaven. That would mean that a true christian believer who beat his wife and children, spat on coloured people and lusted after children would end up in heaven while a Jewish person who spent his entire life being fair, decent and kindly would end up elsewhere. Then there is the whole issue of who do you share heaven with? Any "heaven" that had my mother and my wife in close proximity would have to be called pure hell. And yet I know of no reason either my wife or my mother should go to hell. Maybe me, but niether of them. Of course if I did end up in Heaven standing between those two, then I indeed would be in hell (and it would be just a re-run of this life anyway)

It's all a crock.

On the other hand, there may be an "afterlife": I have seen enough anecdotal reports of ghosts, near-death experiences and the like to suggest that there may be something beyond this Earth once anything dies. It's just not Heaven.
I can sort of go with some alternative universe (multi-verse) idea as suggested by Physic's "String Theory".
I am not suggesting I am embracing this as my belief system, I would just say I would not be surprised if someday physicists proved that there is something beyond our current existence (I just want to know if, when I die, do I get to get rid of the damn arthritis and be 25 again?)
[+] 1 user Likes Bryce Fleming's post
12-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Can't get much better than this.

3 simple sentences pretty much covers it.
12-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Before I answer, can I get a working definition of "God"?

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
There is no box for "other".

So, other! I don't believe in any gods of any religion that's practiced that I know of. Then again, I don't care enough to look for a religion that worships anything worthy of being worshiped, except maybe the Pastafarians. I used to be one myself, but it required to much commitment for my tastes.