Poll: Without any reference to whether or not you are certain of your answer or not, do you as an Atheist simply lack belief in God, or do you believe that there is in fact no God?
I lack belief in God.
I believe that God does not exist.
[Show Results]

To Be(lieve) or Not to Be(lieve)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: To Be(lieve) or Not to Be(lieve)
Matt, I see your point now and I must admit that I hadn't considered the position of non-position.
Neither being a believer nor a non-believer.

If someone asked me if I believed that the Beatles were the best band ever in the history of music, I wouldn't have an opinion either way because it's not something I have ever given any thought to.

My position on the topic would be Null. Once I consider it and examine it, then I can say something about my belief one way or the other, but at present "I don't know".

Matt - I wasn't expecting to learn something today, but I did.
Thank you

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 12:24 AM
You're more than welcome, Rahn.

I'm genuinely glad that it meant something to you. Let me know when you want to switch sides and become an Agnostic Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
14-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Hmm...

Well, I lack a belief in a god. And I believe that theistic gods cannot exist, while finding panpsychist god to be ridiculous at best and equally improbable...

However I do recognise the slim possibility of a Deist or pantheist conception of god.

Gee whatever do I pick?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
14-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I believe that God does not exist.

And, by "God", I mean any god.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
14-01-2013, 12:42 PM
But what do us theist pick? Undecided

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 05:00 PM
That's easy.
Theists, pick any god that's not yours.
You're 99% atheist anyway. You don't believe any of the other gods exist anyway right ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-01-2013, 07:16 AM
To any of those slightly still confused about Ghost's reasoning in asking the questions these days. He is a Thomas Huxley defined Agnostic. It gets confusing to some who are just accepting of the whole agnostic-atheist label. I do not see any issue with him sticking to that stance but when the topic comes up, it always seems to get sticky.

I've voted as lack belief in god. Pretty much as summed up early by Mis in other words...I think the defined Gods of our modern and ancient religions are false.. but I just lack belief in a deistic God. Maybe borderline agnostic toward it because I don't think we can ever rule that idea completely in or out.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
15-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Hey, Clyde.

Thank you very much for understanding me and for fostering understanding of me. It is very much appreciated.

So, for clarification, is this a reasonable encapsulation of what you and others are saying. You believe that the Judeo Christian God of the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, does not exist (presumably through some combination of lack of evidence or examples in which God should have interacted with the world in one way but acted another way). When it comes to the God concept itself, you don't possess a belief, but you're not ruling out the possibility as a consequence.

How'd I do?

Hey, Legend.

Sorry, it just isn't a question for Theists. I was after a very specific demographic. Is there something you think could be added in order to include Theists?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
15-01-2013, 08:26 AM
I lack belief in gods.

But...

I do believe in Ghost.

Does that count?

Dodgy

15-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Hey ghost I find your reasoning insightful but in this case I disagree. If one has reserved judgement then so far one does not believe a proposition is true. Belief is something one has or not. I myself believe there is no god and I base this belief on faith - not evidence. I am convinced a god would have revealed him/her/itself if it existed.
Now knowledge is a whole other kettle of fish. I've done some reading on theories of epistemology and I'm totally at sea so I don't "know" if I'm gnostic or ag...