To DanDare: Being an atheist father

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2011, 04:25 PM

RE: To DanDare: Being an atheist father
First, congratulations The_Observer on being a new dad! I'm sure you're as excited for the kid to be out as your wife is. It's such a wonderful thing to watch them grow every day and you'll soon know what I'm talking about.

I'm glad someone brought this up too. My daughter is almost 8 months old and I know my wife is going to want to bring her to church. It's going to be tough for me, but I'm also going to make sure she is exposed to other thought processes as well. I was brought up going to church and I think the biggest problem was that the adults that I looked up to and looked for answers from in the church didn't have very good answers. They were all very much like a fairy tale: my conscience was god, someone is always watching me, if I'm bad I'll burn in hell, all basically everything to tell a kid that gets them to follow the rules. In hindsight, I realize now that those were the wrong people to ask, but I was taught to hold their opinions in high value. Religion is a great tool for control.

As I said, the best thing I think I can do is to guide my daughter to ask good questions and to consider the answers thoughtfully. As a young kid I'd hate to take her imagination and childhood wonder away by hammering her with cold hard facts of the world around her, but by the same sense I think censorship causes blindness. I figure she'll believe in santa for a while, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, heaven, hell, and all of that mythical stuff, but she's eventually going to learn about the truth. I think when she's old enough she will ask me the right kinds of questions that will show me that she's ready for the right kinds of answers.
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 06:23 PM
The heaven and hell part I would question. Having a kid believe that s/he is a sinner and going to burn for eternity has cause much psychological damage that has taken some people a life-time to get over.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 12:35 PM
(14-02-2011 10:48 AM)Dregs -tread: Christmas trees- Wrote:  I thought this fit here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXxkfu8dGs&list=SL
Upon seeing this vid, I get the feeling that more people then expected struggle with the idea on how to fill in atheism for their children. So I’m *bumping* this tread in an effort to catch more viewpoints.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 12:39 PM

How cool when I saw this thread with a new post I immediately thought of that video I posted earlier today. Obviously so did 'The observer'. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply