To Kikko: I expect better from fellow atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2011, 08:06 PM
RE: To Kikko: I expect better from fellow atheist
One thing Americans can do to improve their international image is to put a lid on over-zealous religious movementents that are, or at least appear to be, threatening to infilterate the government and educational systems in a bid to destroy the seperation of church and state, plus erode the already sagging education system.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2011, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2011 09:16 PM by omega21.)
(23-01-2011 07:59 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Well, the only thing I found said by Hikk0/Kikko was
Hikk0 Wrote:RexRyan is either a troll or from america.
Which the case may be made that it is a joke in bad humor, but I don't take it as anything else but a joke. I've been more offended by most of my favorite comics.

Unless there is something else that was said, I would say you're over-reacting a bit.

It's just that the person RexRyan is a bad person and you can tell by his comments, and youtube page. Kikko/Hikko said that he has to be from America because of that. I don't think he was joking. It seems to me that he intentionally meant to attack Americans, and in an immature mean way. On the other hand you may be right, and I could be wrong. We won't know untill he logs back on and replies to this thread. If I am right he may not be mature enough to respond.
(23-01-2011 08:03 PM)silent_drgn Wrote:  
Quote:I think that we are making great strides though. Our current goverment is not what it was in 2000-2008 and is helping our image after it was destroyed during those years. Our current liberal goverment can help us in letting the world know that Americans are not bad afterall, and that we want to work with other countries in making the world a better place, not against them.

I definitely agree with you on that. For me the largest amount of work is with the general public. Average people. Americans, in general, are not very kind to those that are from other countries and this gives us a very bad name.

Thats also not something that will change very quickly or easily.

Yeah most Americans do need to be nicer to people from other countries. I hear people talk down about other cultures all the time. I would here people say things like all europeans this, or all asians that. Sometimes when Americans talk like that they are just being funny, and don't really mean it, in which i ignore it. On the other hand sometimes people say it to be offensive and that has to stop.
23-01-2011, 09:19 PM
(23-01-2011 09:11 PM)omega21 Wrote:  If I am right he may not be mature enough to respond.

....OR, he intended it as humor, and he will feel that a more appropriate reaction would have been to air your opinion to him privately to clarify what his intent was. If that is the case, then perhaps no response at all WOULD be mature.....

Just playing Devils Advocate.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
23-01-2011, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2011 09:28 PM by omega21.)
(23-01-2011 08:06 PM)No J. Wrote:  One thing Americans can do to improve their international image is to put a lid on over-zealous religious movementents that are, or at least appear to be, threatening to infilterate the government and educational systems in a bid to destroy the seperation of church and state, plus erode the already sagging education system.

I couldn't agree more. We need to be more secular. Statistically speaking the United States is the most religious industrialized country. Extreme religious movements need to leave our society and that would be a step in the right direction. If we can prove to the rest of the world we as a country are mature enough to dismiss religion from politics completely then that would help our reputation.
(23-01-2011 09:19 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(23-01-2011 09:11 PM)omega21 Wrote:  If I am right he may not be mature enough to respond.

....OR, he intended it as humor, and he will feel that a more appropriate reaction would have been to air your opinion to him privately to clarify what his intent was. If that is the case, then perhaps no response at all WOULD be mature.....

Just playing Devils Advocate.

I just don't think that it was humor. I really cannot make myself think that. With the image Americans have to the rest of the world some people enjoy making attacks on Americans as if we are all the same. It is all over the media and I didn't see a lol or any other text that would make me think it was a joke. I felt the need to display it in that I wanted to see what other people think about how Americans are portrayed in the world and what steps need to be taken to improve it. I am using him as an example and I have had this subject on my mind for a while.
23-01-2011, 09:44 PM
(23-01-2011 09:21 PM)omega21 Wrote:  I just don't think that it was humor. I really cannot make myself think that. With the image Americans have to the rest of the world some people enjoy making attacks on Americans as if we are all the same. It is all over the media and I didn't see a lol or any other text that would make me think it was a joke. I felt the need to display it in that I wanted to see what other people think about how Americans are portrayed in the world and what steps need to be taken to improve it. I am using him as an example and I have had this subject on my mind for a while.

Fair enough. I think though, that a better approach would have been to ask, "What do you think think about how Americans are portrayed in the world and what steps need to be taken to improve it?" I don't really think it's your place, or anyone elses to "make an example" of someone, when you have nothing but a single sentence to go on. Benefit of the doubt is what I'm getting at.

I can understand how what he said upset you. In fact, I don't think it was a very good thing to say, even in jest. But I also can't bring myself to make the assumption that Kikko really thinks negatively about all Americans with so little information.

I'm honestly not trying to get on your case here. I just want you to explore the idea that posting a thread about someone to make an example of them might have been somewhat rash and emotionally driven.

23-01-2011, 10:15 PM
(23-01-2011 09:44 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(23-01-2011 09:21 PM)omega21 Wrote:  I just don't think that it was humor. I really cannot make myself think that. With the image Americans have to the rest of the world some people enjoy making attacks on Americans as if we are all the same. It is all over the media and I didn't see a lol or any other text that would make me think it was a joke. I felt the need to display it in that I wanted to see what other people think about how Americans are portrayed in the world and what steps need to be taken to improve it. I am using him as an example and I have had this subject on my mind for a while.

Fair enough. I think though, that a better approach would have been to ask, "What do you think think about how Americans are portrayed in the world and what steps need to be taken to improve it?" I don't really think it's your place, or anyone elses to "make an example" of someone, when you have nothing but a single sentence to go on. Benefit of the doubt is what I'm getting at.

I can understand how what he said upset you. In fact, I don't think it was a very good thing to say, even in jest. But I also can't bring myself to make the assumption that Kikko really thinks negatively about all Americans with so little information.

I'm honestly not trying to get on your case here. I just want you to explore the idea that posting a thread about someone to make an example of them might have been somewhat rash and emotionally driven.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I guess we will not know exactly what he meant unless he responds to this thread. Now that I have had time to calm down I guess he could have meant not all Americans, and never intended for someone to get upset over it like I did. One sentence isn't enough evidence for his opinion and I would like for him to respond to my post.

All in all, it is just that I am frustrated over my countries bad reputation and I wanted to spill my emotions. I understand that most people from other countries don't think all Americans are bad people. Hopefully in my lifetime most the world will like the United States as a country again.
23-01-2011, 10:27 PM
(23-01-2011 10:15 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Yeah I know what you mean, but I guess we will not know exactly what he meant unless he responds to this thread. Now that I have had time to calm down I guess he could have meant not all Americans, and never intended for someone to get upset over it like I did. One sentence isn't enough evidence for his opinion and I would like for him to respond to my post.

All in all, it is just that I am frustrated over my countries bad reputation and I wanted to spill my emotions. I understand that most people from other countries don't think all Americans are bad people. Hopefully in my lifetime most the world will like the United States as a country again.

Well that's big of you to say so. I admire someone who can look at things and admit they may be wrong more than someone who never says anything wrong. And I'm not even saying you are wrong. But you earn my respect by considering the possibility. THAT'S critical thinking!

24-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm surprised kikkos not actually been on here yet.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
24-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Uhm , from what I've read , it's just humor.
If you're on the Internet - grow thicker skin.
If someone said all Romanians were thieves , I would agree and tell them to nuke my country.
There's dark humor you know.
24-01-2011, 04:08 AM
(24-01-2011 03:22 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Uhm , from what I've read , it's just humor.
If you're on the Internet - grow thicker skin.
If someone said all Romanians were thieves , I would agree and tell them to nuke my country.
There's dark humor you know.

I agree. And that is another issue. People let too much bother them.

So whats worse. Actions that lead to certain stereotypes or the fact that people are over sensitive. Which do you strive to fix?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user