To Robby Pants (late responce)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: To Robby Pants (late responce)
(31-07-2015 04:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:28 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Truly? "every teaching has some parts of truth"?
Yes, every teaching.
In order to deceive someone you have to gain some trust. In order to gain some trust you have to teach something that is true.

How much have you read or heard about the neuroscience of what makes people believe things or self deception? How well do you know how brains work in this manners?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-07-2015, 04:46 PM
(31-07-2015 04:28 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Truly? "every teaching has some parts of truth"?

Yes, every teaching.
In order to deceive someone you have to gain some trust. In order to gain some trust you have to teach something that is true.

That's not remotely true.

You don't need to teach true stuff to get people to trust you; you just need sufficiently gullible people.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
31-07-2015, 05:24 PM
(31-07-2015 04:46 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:36 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, every teaching.

How much have you read or heard about the neuroscience of what makes people believe things or self deception? How well do you know how brains work in this manners?
Not that much. But I know that there is at least one way to deceive someone:
I have to gain trust of the person/people. One way to gain trust is to say something that is true.
All those who preach false religions believe what they teach. If there was no at least one drop of the truth they wouldn't believe the rest.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
31-07-2015, 05:25 PM
(31-07-2015 04:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

That's not remotely true.

You don't need to teach true stuff to get people to trust you; you just need sufficiently gullible people.
Give me one example, please.

31-07-2015, 05:29 PM
(31-07-2015 05:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:46 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  How much have you read or heard about the neuroscience of what makes people believe things or self deception? How well do you know how brains work in this manners?
Not that much. But I know that there is at least one way to deceive someone:
I have to gain trust of the person/people. One way to gain trust is to say something that is true.
All those who preach false religions believe what they teach. If there was no at least one drop of the truth they wouldn't believe the rest.

I keep thinking nobody could ever be more wrong than that... and the you post again and I have to lower my expectations again.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
31-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Yes, every teaching.

I think what she's trying to say is -
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell

But I could be wrong.

#sigh
31-07-2015, 05:33 PM
(31-07-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That's not remotely true.

GWG already linked three examples.

But for my example, I submit the work of one Andrew Wakefield, who released a fraudulent research paper claiming to have found a causal link between the MMR vaccine and autism.
His 'work' has been thoroughly demonstrated to be inaccurate by every scientist who examined it; it has not a single iota of truth within, and yet people still cite him on a daily basis when arguing against vaccination.

You don't need truth, just sufficiently credulous people.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
31-07-2015, 05:34 PM
(31-07-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 04:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That's not remotely true.

Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker for one. Ted Haggard for another. And let's not forget Jim Jones. There are many more.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2015, 05:40 PM
(31-07-2015 05:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:25 PM)Alla Wrote:  Give me one example, please.

GWG already linked three examples.

But for my example, I submit the work of one Andrew Wakefield, who released a fraudulent research paper claiming to have found a causal link between the MMR vaccine and autism.
His 'work' has been thoroughly demonstrated to be inaccurate by every scientist who examined it; it has not a single iota of truth within, and yet people still cite him on a daily basis when arguing against vaccination.

You don't need truth, just sufficiently credulous people.
Without reading this research I know that there is at least one drop of the truth. Otherwise Andrew Wakefield would not believe it himself.

31-07-2015, 05:42 PM
(31-07-2015 05:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think what she's trying to say is -
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell

But I could be wrong.
There is some truth(one drop) in your statement, my dear GirlyManSmile
"Every religion is true one way or another."