Poll: Do you tip when picking up take out food?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
To Tip or Not to Tip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
To Tip or Not to Tip
I always considered myself to be a good tipper. I always tip really well when eating at restaurants, ordering a drink at a bar, getting a coffee or a smoothie, for various services, like pet grooming etc. However, recently a friend of mine said that she always tips when picking up take-out food. I always tip if I get food delivered, but I have never tipped if I go and pick up the food myself. Now I'm wondering if I should be tipping during these times too Consider

So...should/do you guys tip if you pick up take out food?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2016, 02:42 PM
RE: To Tip or Not to Tip
If there's no service involved beyond cashiering I don't feel obligated to tip, though if I happen to have a dollar or two in change (more likely with Canadian currency Tongue) I'll drop it in the tip jar. I've gotta be sneaky though cause my girlfriend gives me dirty looks if she sees it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I usually tip 10-15% for take out food.
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
(04-11-2016 02:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If there's no service involved beyond cashiering I don't feel obligated to tip, though if I happen to have a dollar or two in change (more likely with Canadian currency Tongue) I'll drop it in the tip jar. I've gotta be sneaky though cause my girlfriend gives me dirty looks if she sees it.

This is how I pretty much feel re: tipping when just picking up food. If there's a tip jar, I'll throw something in, but I don't typically hand a tip to anyone if just picking things up. My friend's stance is that there are still people who make your food and due to that, you should tip them.
04-11-2016, 02:53 PM
I never tip for anything.

It's good to live in a modern country with wages.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I usually do, though not necessarily out of obligation or etiquette. It's quite selfish really. Most places learn which of their regulars tip and which do not. Even with take-out, there are perks to being the customer known for always leaving a good tip. Occasional extras get thrown in, your containers get stacked with a little more care so as to not spill or squash your food, your order might get prioritized when it's really busy, and always getting your "usual" with no onions like you like it even when you forget to ask.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 4 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
04-11-2016, 02:58 PM
I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
04-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Depends.

If I have to drive to pick the food up to bring it home. I'm doing most of the foot work. No tip.

Delivery gets a tip, so long as they don't take an hour and a half to get there. Only one time have I broken that rule and it was because i heard the guy crying on the other side before he thought i answered, beggin to himself "please be cool, please be cool." It was his first day on the the job, and he didn't want to get fired. I felt bad. and my pizza was still hot. so I was fine with it.

Waiters/Waitresses get a 15% tip. Or I round up to the nearest dollar. Hate giving 63 cent in change. Amazing service will get 20%-25%. (as long as i have the money) Unless they completely ignore us or are assholes. I've left no tips, or pennies for really bad service.

Fast food. No. It's a conveyor belt. On person in the back throws a patty on a heat rack, it pops out the other side and someone else puts bread and lettuce. I feel bad for the people that work in those thankless jobs. Handing me something, as appose to seeing if i need more, or if something is wrong is way different.

Tipping is an American thing to do. Most of Europe tips are included in the bill. And the only reason why tips are a thing is because the employers don't want to pay them a fair salary. Back in the 1920 or earlier it was considered rude to give a tip. And would often get refused. Then the employers found out they could cut the salerys and just have the customer pay them.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
04-11-2016, 03:04 PM
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Ah, but in my country (USA), waiters and waitresses are paid ridiculously low wages, on the assumption that they will make it up in tips. Way back in high school, I worked in a fast food restaurant, flipping burgers. I got paid $1.80 per hour (this was in the early 1970s), and the waitresses got $1.10. They worked harder than I did. But if they were good (and especially if they were also good-looking), I'll bet they ended up making more than me. The system is basically fucked up, but the end result seemed pretty fair (although it's probably not fair that better-looking waitresses got better tips).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-11-2016, 03:05 PM
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Here in the US, waiters and waitresses are paid shit. They make their money off tips. I used to waitress and bartend and work my butt off trying to making customers happy. I always tip them because I know how hard it is to make a decent wage doing that sort of thing.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post