Poll: Do you tip when picking up take out food?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
To Tip or Not to Tip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: To Tip or Not to Tip
(04-11-2016 02:55 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I usually do, though not necessarily out of obligation or etiquette. It's quite selfish really. Most places learn which of their regulars tip and which do not. Even with take-out, there are perks to being the customer known for always leaving a good tip. Occasional extras get thrown in, your containers get stacked with a little more care so as to not spill or squash your food, your order might get prioritized when it's really busy, and always getting your "usual" with no onions like you like it even when you forget to ask.
We always tip our local Thai place either dining in or out. Not much with the takeout but we consider Vicki our friend.
We get free surprise desserts from her all the time when we dine in. That's just how she rolls.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
04-11-2016, 03:08 PM
I voted no.
Reason: When I worked in a restaurant, the people who prepared the takeout orders were paid a percentage of the bill on top of their hourly wage. They were the best paid employees in the place.
I don't know if this is common, but I don't think a tip is necessary for just handing me a bag of food.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-11-2016, 03:08 PM
(04-11-2016 03:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ah, but in my country (USA), waiters and waitresses are paid ridiculously low wages, on the assumption that they will make it up in tips. Way back in high school, I worked in a fast food restaurant, flipping burgers. I got paid $1.80 per hour (this was in the early 1970s), and the waitresses got $1.10. They worked harder than I did. But if they were good (and especially if they were also good-looking), I'll bet they ended up making more than me. The system is basically fucked up, but the end result seemed pretty fair (although it's probably not fair that better-looking waitresses got better tips).

Especially with bartending. The girls who wore the extra tight jeans and low cut tops and flirted with the customers made the most.
04-11-2016, 03:11 PM
(04-11-2016 03:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ah, but in my country (USA), waiters and waitresses are paid ridiculously low wages, on the assumption that they will make it up in tips. Way back in high school, I worked in a fast food restaurant, flipping burgers. I got paid $1.80 per hour (this was in the early 1970s), and the waitresses got $1.10. They worked harder than I did. But if they were good (and especially if they were also good-looking), I'll bet they ended up making more than me. The system is basically fucked up, but the end result seemed pretty fair (although it's probably not fair that better-looking waitresses got better tips).

I'm aware of that. Here situation looks different though, but for me entire idea of tipping is strange. I do not give additional money to people in supermarkets so there is no reason for doing such in restaurants.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-11-2016, 03:11 PM
(04-11-2016 03:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Ah, but in my country (USA), waiters and waitresses are paid ridiculously low wages, on the assumption that they will make it up in tips. Way back in high school, I worked in a fast food restaurant, flipping burgers. I got paid $1.80 per hour (this was in the early 1970s), and the waitresses got $1.10. They worked harder than I did. But if they were good (and especially if they were also good-looking), I'll bet they ended up making more than me. The system is basically fucked up, but the end result seemed pretty fair (although it's probably not fair that better-looking waitresses got better tips).

Especially with bartending. The girls who wore the extra tight jeans and low cut tops and flirted with the customers made the most.

Well men are pigs. I'm sure no woman would ever level a big tip or maybe a number for a bartender that looked like this.

[Image: 6c61bf35fd42a9e6ce25355dbf85bbe8.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
04-11-2016, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 03:17 PM by jennybee.)
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Especially with bartending. The girls who wore the extra tight jeans and low cut tops and flirted with the customers made the most.

Well men are pigs. I'm sure no woman would ever level a big tip or maybe a number for a bartender that looked like this.

Laugh out load Well, he was hot until I saw the cross around his neck--that would make me run in the other direction, I don't care how hot he was Tongue

But of course, I'd still tip him Wink
04-11-2016, 03:16 PM
On the poll question, I voted yes, but that's conditional. When I pick up take-out food, I will generally tip if and only if they have a tip jar out. But it will be a smaller tip than I would give at a sit-down restaurant or for delivered food.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-11-2016, 03:19 PM
(04-11-2016 03:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Well men are pigs. I'm sure no woman would ever level a big tip or maybe a number for a bartender that looked like this.

Laugh out load Well, he was hot until I saw the cross around his neck--that would make me run in the other direction, I don't care how hot he was Tongue

But of course, I'd still tip him Wink

Just tell yourself it's a lowercase "t". Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-11-2016, 03:21 PM
They should tip me for coming to buy stuff in their store.

I always tip when I dine at a restaurant, etc. I know what it's like to have to hope you'll get enough tips to cover the bus fare to get there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
04-11-2016, 03:22 PM
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:08 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Especially with bartending. The girls who wore the extra tight jeans and low cut tops and flirted with the customers made the most.

Not my type. Nipples are too big.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post