Poll: Do you tip when picking up take out food?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
To Tip or Not to Tip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
RE: To Tip or Not to Tip
(04-11-2016 03:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Here in the US, waiters and waitresses are paid shit. They make their money off tips. I used to waitress and bartend and work my butt off trying to making customers happy. I always tip them because I know how hard it is to make a decent wage doing that sort of thing.

In Poland everybody are paid shit so tipping is far from popular, at least in my experience. For me tipping is just strange - nobody gets extra money from me for doing his job, so people who make/serve food are no exception.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
(04-11-2016 03:22 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Well men are pigs. I'm sure no woman would ever level a big tip or maybe a number for a bartender that looked like this.

[Image: 6c61bf35fd42a9e6ce25355dbf85bbe8.jpg]

Not my type. Nipples are too big.

Laugh out load Heart

Agreed Drinking Beverage

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-11-2016, 03:29 PM
(04-11-2016 02:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If there's no service involved beyond cashiering I don't feel obligated to tip, though if I happen to have a dollar or two in change (more likely with Canadian currency Tongue) I'll drop it in the tip jar. I've gotta be sneaky though cause my girlfriend gives me dirty looks if she sees it.

Someone has to cook it.

Someone else needs to make sure the order is right.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-11-2016, 03:35 PM
(04-11-2016 03:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here in the US, waiters and waitresses are paid shit. They make their money off tips. I used to waitress and bartend and work my butt off trying to making customers happy. I always tip them because I know how hard it is to make a decent wage doing that sort of thing.

Weren't you guys supposed to have abolished slavery?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I do not give additional money to people in supermarkets so there is no reason for doing such in restaurants.

I tip anywhere there is a personal service of some sort provided to me and where the one performing the service has the opportunity and the liberty to excel or not. Back when my kids were younger and I shopped at my local small town grocery store, the bag boy would offer to help take my groceries to the car. I always accepted and tipped generously. My ex-wife on the other hand, was always rude to the boys if they didn't hurry or if they didn't bag stuff the "right" way. Guess who gets great service with a smile? Guess who waits when the store is busy and there are more registers than baggers? Guess whose cold stuff always gets bagged together and whose bread never gets squished? Just sayin'...

I always try to tip someone who could go the extra mile, even if they just provide mediocre service. Before long, almost everyone learns and appreciates those that appreciate them. For those businesses where this doesn't work for what ever reason, I just stop going there.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Just an FYI, in the US, waiters are basically not paid by the restaurant. They get a nominal paycheck, but the pay structure is set up that their tips are their wage.

DO tip if you travel to the US. Work it into your travel budget. Yes
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
04-11-2016, 03:40 PM
The customer pays the wages.

America looks worse and worse.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
04-11-2016, 03:41 PM
I used to deliver pizza.

I remember one customer, after I gave him back his change,gave me a smile and said, "Buy low, sell high."

I guess it was a tip.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-11-2016, 03:46 PM
A friend and I go to one of six local resturants or gastropubs every week for lunch. We usualy try to get our usual tables and thus usual waitress/er.

Having built up a good relationship via friendliness and 10% tips we always get quick angpd good service and our little foibles (like a sharp steak knife for all meat dishes, instead of the blunt table knife, and a spoon for chilli con carne etc) catered to automatically.

Many years ago I was advised that you tipped only in the places you frequented regularly, not the once only places. That way the staff remember you with a little affection when next you ate there!

With delivered meals I usually make sure there is an excuse to say, "Keep the change" because deliverers don't get paid much.

One time when there was a new waitress and I was feeling a bit devilish, I told her that I was learning fortune telling and could I read her palm. She offered her hand. "Ah, I can definitely tell you that you are in for an increase in your fortunes." Then I pressed the tip into her hand - "There, told you so!"

I got an extra large piece of chocolate brownie with my ice-cream the next time she was on when we visited!

But my friend moves to Devon in two weeks, gotta find a new lunch pal, eat alone or at home Sad

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
04-11-2016, 03:48 PM
(04-11-2016 03:40 PM)Banjo Wrote:  The customer pays the wages.

America looks worse and worse.

It's not the best system. But I used to make some pretty good money in tips. It was nice to go home and have some extra cash for the night (instead of having to wait for my paycheck at the end of the week). I waitressed first at a small family style restaurant, they were assholes and charged us full price for any food or drink we ate while there. No employee discount Dodgy

I then moved onto bartending at another place. The bartender at one of the bars I went to in my college days said I would be good at it and I had the personality to make some good tips. I did make good tips and it was fun, but the pay was meh and I relied heavily on my tips. I agree with your post--the employers should pay a decent wage and then tips should be the icing on the cake.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi