Poll: Do you tip when picking up take out food?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
To Tip or Not to Tip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: To Tip or Not to Tip
(04-11-2016 03:38 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 03:11 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I do not give additional money to people in supermarkets so there is no reason for doing such in restaurants.

I tip anywhere there is a personal service of some sort provided to me and where the one performing the service has the opportunity and the liberty to excel or not. Back when my kids were younger and I shopped at my local small town grocery store, the bag boy would offer to help take my groceries to the car. I always accepted and tipped generously. My ex-wife on the other hand, was always rude to the boys if they didn't hurry or if they didn't bag stuff the "right" way. Guess who gets great service with a smile? Guess who waits when the store is busy and there are more registers than baggers? Guess whose cold stuff always gets bagged together and whose bread never gets squished? Just sayin'...

I always try to tip someone who could go the extra mile, even if they just provide mediocre service. Before long, almost everyone learns and appreciates those that appreciate them. For those businesses where this doesn't work for what ever reason, I just stop going there.

There are no bag boys here and I couldn't care less if cashier is smilling or not. Also good service should be standard not something that must be paid extra for.

I just don't get the tipping, just like I don't get why people - allegedly - constantly smile at one another in USA.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2016, 03:53 PM
(04-11-2016 03:38 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 02:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I never tip. I see no reason for it - waiters, etc. are already paid and I won't give them money for just doing their job.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Just an FYI, in the US, waiters are basically not paid by the restaurant. They get a nominal paycheck, but the pay structure is set up that their tips are their wage.

I know.

Quote: DO tip if you travel to the US. Work it into your travel budget. Yes

Me travelling to USA is about as probable as Poland stopping being shithole during my life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Did you hear about the terrible automobile accident in Warsaw last night?

A polish family on vacation lost all of their children. The pickup truck they were riding in ran off the road into a lake and sank to the bottom. The parents got out of the cab OK but all the kids in the back drowned...they couldn't get the tailgate open.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
04-11-2016, 04:14 PM
(04-11-2016 04:08 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Did you hear about the terrible automobile accident in Warsaw last night?

A polish family on vacation lost all of their children. The pickup truck they were riding in ran off the road into a lake and sank to the bottom. The parents got out of the cab OK but all the kids in the back drowned...they couldn't get the tailgate open.

I didn't heard about it and I don't quite get why you mention it. Life is full of suffering and there is nothing particularly memorable about this deaths. As cold as it sound shit happens and while it is tragic it don't have bearing on my life.

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Why the fuck should I pay for good customer service?
I should just get good customer service. It's called doing your fucking job.

And this "waiters/waitresses are paid poorly" is a very poor excuse. All the more reason NOT to tip because you encourage that behaviour.
Maybe if waiters/waitresses never got tipped they might start demanding better wages/unionising.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
(04-11-2016 04:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 04:08 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Did you hear about the terrible automobile accident in Warsaw last night?

I didn't heard about it and I don't quite get why you mention it. Life is full of suffering and there is nothing particularly memorable about this deaths. As cold as it sound shit happens and while it is tragic it don't have bearing on my life.

He was making a "Polack joke" -- I used to hear them all the time when I was a kid (I'm part Polish).

Sample: How do you drive a Polack crazy? Put him in a round room and tell him there's a penny in the corner (the stereotypical Polack was obsessed with pennies for some reason).

Likewise, people in the state of Montana tell "NoDak jokes" (about their neighbors in North Dakota).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM
(04-11-2016 04:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 04:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I didn't heard about it and I don't quite get why you mention it. Life is full of suffering and there is nothing particularly memorable about this deaths. As cold as it sound shit happens and while it is tragic it don't have bearing on my life.

He was making a "Polack joke" -- I used to hear them all the time when I was a kid (I'm part Polish).

Sample: How do you drive a Polack crazy? Put him in a round room and tell him there's a penny in the corner (the stereotypical Polack was obsessed with pennies for some reason).

Likewise, people in the state of Montana tell "NoDak jokes" (about their neighbors in North Dakota).
Ah. I wouldn't get it without you. It seems that my grasp of English is weakening daily Wink

Mikhail Bakunin.
04-11-2016, 04:26 PM
(04-11-2016 04:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck should I pay for good customer service?
I should just get good customer service. It's called doing your fucking job.

And this "waiters/waitresses are paid poorly" is a very poor excuse. All the more reason NOT to tip because you encourage that behaviour.
Maybe if waiters/waitresses never got tipped they might start demanding better wages/unionising.

See your point, Muffs, but perhaps you get "bare service".

We get smiles, hellos, a waiter/ress who comes within moments of my catching their eye, preference over the obnoxious noisy bastard three tables away, bigger bits of brownie. . .

Worth a couple of quid or so...

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
04-11-2016, 04:47 PM
(04-11-2016 04:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 04:22 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  He was making a "Polack joke" -- I used to hear them all the time when I was a kid (I'm part Polish).

Ah. I wouldn't get it without you. It seems that my grasp of English is weakening daily Wink

No problem. I don't know a single word of Polish, and I can't really use any language except English, so you're way ahead of me.

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Thank you for your responses everyone Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi