To all fans of TAE / dillahunty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: To all fans of TAE / dillahunty
(14-08-2016 05:39 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Looks like a new debate is out between Dillahunty and Giunta.

At the end Matt was talking about what evidence he'd need to believe and starting at 2:25:03 we get this from Blake (my transcription):
Quote:As I explained at the end of my opening statement that I had rushed through very quickly, I believe that at the end of the day god wants two things. On the one hand he wants people to freely love him and worship him and he wants to eliminate all of evil and if you have someone who is not going to freely submit in that way, who's not going to say "god, transform me and make me your own but... you can be in control lord; you are good". If you're not willing and ready to make that then god doesn't have a reason to bring you to belief or to ensure that you believe in him.

I think that nicely sums up the demeaning nature of faith. First, any relationship that involves love doesn't require one party to submit to another like that. Second, anybody that wants to be loved freely without first demonstrating the qualities that make them worthy of receiving love is demonstrating that they aren't worthy of it. Third, if wanting a relationship with somebody isn't a reason to demonstrate to them that you exist I don't know what is. Last, a god that wants you to believe but won't bring you to belief or provide the evidence that would let you believe is a psychopath.

I doubt that I will ever understand the mindset that makes people want to be slaves. They set up their god as if he were an abusive spouse and they revel in grovelling at his feet. Listening to people like Blake go on about this is just infuriating because it clearly shows how religion has destroyed their humanity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-08-2016, 09:21 AM
A couple more related videos....

Matt & Blake do a joint debate review but it just degrades into a continuation of the debate and isn't very worthwhile:

Matt & Blake talk about methodological naturalism; this one is more interesting

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-08-2016, 10:47 AM
To be honest, i could only watch small parts of this. Too much nonsense...
Giunta seems to be pretty genuine tho and less of an patroinizing, self-important lying and weaseling ass than others. Looks like he tries to dig really deep regarding the topics and questions at hand. He (at least to me) shows quite some intellect.
But still, i have the strange feeling that all of this is part of leading the evidence where he wants than vice versa.

In short: he seems to be genuinely intellectually dishonest to himself first of all.

What to the "experts" of TTA think?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
26-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Dillahunty has fans?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
26-08-2016, 11:50 AM
(26-08-2016 11:26 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Dillahunty has fans?
Of course, you need to circulate that hot Texas air.

Lame jokes! Drinking Beverage

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I'd like to watch these debates but I can't sit and listen to these Craig types who do nothing but word salad and mental gymnastics that makes it even hard to respond to what they say. Like it's so contrived and stupid I literally don't know what to say. It just ends up making me frustrated.

If someone is presupposing that God exists and presupposing that Jesus was real and all that crucifixition stuff happened, then there really is no point to even talk about it. It's like people who will start the "something can't come from nothing, therefore there has to be a God" then you say "But where did your God come from?" and they reply "He's always existed". At that point just walk away, because if someone is going to make certain aspects of their beliefs off limits to even question, then fuck 'em.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-09-2016, 06:36 PM
(14-08-2016 06:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The best part was when AronRa stepped up at the mic after the debate.
It ended up looking like a WWF/WWE tag team.

Oh and that smug old man, who made dillahunty angry: One does not make Dillahunty angry! Facepalm

My first thought was the Christiano brothers film "A Matter of Faith". Because basically the protagonist debater tags out to have Clarence Gilliard come in, tell the other guy he hates him, insults him, cries, and then walks off stage and "wins". I'll have to watch this debate, it has to be better than that movie...

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2016, 11:15 PM
(15-08-2016 09:29 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I was very disappointed by Aron's performance.
The topic is poor since it presupposes that a god exists but, even ignoring that, Aron didn't address the question. He argued that god is the source of some things that are bad but that's a separate issue from the main topic.

I don't understand your point there. If someone makes a universal claim like "God is the source of all that is good" (which John Lepp was making by arguing for the affirmative of the debate topic), and you want to make a counterargument, one only needs to demonstrate the existence of the negation of the original claim, e.g., the existence of a thing that came from God that is not good.

How would you have wanted Aron to engage the debate?
[+] 1 user Likes FrozenSea's post
04-09-2016, 02:55 AM
(02-09-2016 06:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-08-2016 06:18 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The best part was when AronRa stepped up at the mic after the debate.
It ended up looking like a WWF/WWE tag team.

Oh and that smug old man, who made dillahunty angry: One does not make Dillahunty angry! Facepalm

My first thought was the Christiano brothers film "A Matter of Faith". Because basically the protagonist debater tags out to have Clarence Gilliard come in, tell the other guy he hates him, insults him, cries, and then walks off stage and "wins". I'll have to watch this debate, it has to be better than that movie...

Have to post his, seeing as how the Christiano Film Group and The Bible Reloaded are right in the middle of litigation at the moment.

Short Story: Someone at Christiano Film Group had abused YouTube's DMCA system in an attempt to shut down their channel and rob them of their livelihood, as they are full time YT content creators. This came months after a previous DMCA claim, which had been resolved, and upon which they thought they had worked out an agreement to stay out of each other's hair. So their content is protected under the Fair Use doctrine, so now they're suing the film group for filing false DMCA's (itself perjury) and for harassment (for making 5 frivolous claims at once in an attempt to shut down their YT channel). They hope to set precedent, making life easier for other content creators.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-09-2016, 04:45 AM
I actually have little respect for guy like MD. I realised religion was BS at age 4. He's a white belt, I'm a 10th dan. I have no interest in what he or anyone like him has to say.

I have decades on him. He's a beginner.

I do appreciate his efforts though. But to loosely quote Kerouac, "Protesting seems like you want to be famous."

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.