To be a woman: Sometimes I think it must suck!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: To be a woman: Sometimes I think it must suck!
I don't think this is cognitive dissonance , I would just call it bad reasoning.

Nobody is making anybody shave their legs, the fact that some women feel they need to do it, doesn't make it so.

Personally , I have a rule, if I'm gonna be making out with somebody, only one of us can have facial hair , and that one can only be me.
I can promise you it's my preference and not a social construct.

As far as I'm concerned, everybody can do with their bodies whatever they want, but what they can't do is grow mustache and then demand that I find them attractive.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 06:53 PM
(20-11-2013 06:41 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I dunno. Getting cramps, birthing babies and bleeding every month with no control over it kinda passes the leg shaving and make-up application shittiness.

See? That's what I thought the thread was gonna be about. I wouldn't wanna be a girl. No

The. I read it, and this guy jumps up, and Dom slaps him down, and I lol'd. I'm a bad man. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2013 07:07 PM by Adrianime.)
Haha, nobody slapped me down first of all. I fully expected people to interpret it and react as Dom did (Indicated by my opening sentence.)

And I'm not talking about the natural pains of being a woman (periods/birth/PMS), there's not much debate over the pains that go along with those (that I'm aware of).

I'm talking about the social expectations that burden women.
20-11-2013, 07:00 PM
(20-11-2013 06:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:41 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I dunno. Getting cramps, birthing babies and bleeding every month with no control over it kinda passes the leg shaving and make-up application shittiness.

See? That's what I thought the thread was gonna be about. I wouldn't wanna be a girl.

You ever been kicked in the balls? Ohmy
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
20-11-2013, 07:02 PM
(20-11-2013 06:52 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Nobody is making anybody shave their legs, the fact that some women feel they need to do it, doesn't make it so.

Personally , I have a rule, if I'm gonna be making out with somebody, only one of us can have facial hair , and that one can only be me.

So you are saying there isn't overwhelming social pressure for women to shave/wax their legs or mustache? And you can gaurantee that you finding these features attractive have nothing to do with the culture you were raised in?
20-11-2013, 07:19 PM
(20-11-2013 06:59 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, nobody slapped me down first of all. I fully expected people to interpret it and react as Dom did (Indicated by my opening sentence.)

And I'm not talking about the natural pains of being a woman (periods/birth/PMS), there's not much debate over the pains that go along with those (that I'm aware of).

Plenty of those to go around. Tongue

(20-11-2013 07:00 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  See? That's what I thought the thread was gonna be about. I wouldn't wanna be a girl.

You ever been kicked in the balls? Ohmy

Yeah. Just not every month.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-11-2013, 07:23 PM
(20-11-2013 06:59 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Haha, nobody slapped me down first of all. I fully expected people to interpret it and react as Dom did (Indicated by my opening sentence.)

Well, in that case.

What about the overwhelming social pressure to grow the thickest beard, be tall, thick head of hair, not stink, have chest hairs (and then shave them to show manly barrel chest), not have voice crack, know how to fix EVERYTHING that's broken, have the best mowed lawn and biggest man bit?

Of course there are social pressures, but you make them the standard and you lose the best parts about people, the parts that make all that trivial shit- well, trivial. I choose, in some ways, to conform to social pressures for the reasons of enjoyment, but my day to day life is very comfortable and I never feel like I'm not 'me' in the ways I want to be.
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
20-11-2013, 07:26 PM
(20-11-2013 07:02 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:52 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Nobody is making anybody shave their legs, the fact that some women feel they need to do it, doesn't make it so.

So you are saying there isn't overwhelming social pressure for women to shave/wax their legs or mustache? And you can gaurantee that you finding these features attractive have nothing to do with the culture you were raised in?

Nope, that's not what I'm saying.

What I am saying is, if you want people to find you attractive, you make the effort to appear attractive , if you don't ...you don't.
Regardless of the features required to be considered attractive.

It would be the same way if there were different traits that people find attractive.

And it's the same way for both men and women. Different traits, but same principle , if you want the other sex to find you attractive ( or to be precise, more attractive then your peers ) you need to put in the effort. It is not a social pressure, it's means to an end.

That's like saying that is a social pressure that somebody need to train a lot in order to be an professional athlete.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
20-11-2013, 08:21 PM
(20-11-2013 07:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Well, in that case.

What about the overwhelming social pressure to grow the thickest beard, be tall, thick head of hair, not stink, have chest hairs (and then shave them to show manly barrel chest), not have voice crack, know how to fix EVERYTHING that's broken, have the best mowed lawn and biggest man bit?

Of course there are social pressures, but you make them the standard and you lose the best parts about people, the parts that make all that trivial shit- well, trivial. I choose, in some ways, to conform to social pressures for the reasons of enjoyment, but my day to day life is very comfortable and I never feel like I'm not 'me' in the ways I want to be.
Hmm, I've never been exposed to those social pressures (fortunately?) so I'm not at liberty to say much about it. My growing up experience in Washington has required very little for me to be accepted as a "proper guy". Of course there have been a few small things like.....I dunno sports? I don't like sports, which makes me less fun to talk to I guess. But I don't feel like I've ever been judged over it.

I think the proportion of expectations put on females drastically outweighs those put on males. You don't agree?
20-11-2013, 08:27 PM
(20-11-2013 07:26 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 07:02 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So you are saying there isn't overwhelming social pressure for women to shave/wax their legs or mustache? And you can gaurantee that you finding these features attractive have nothing to do with the culture you were raised in?

Nope, that's not what I'm saying.

What I am saying is, if you want people to find you attractive, you make the effort to appear attractive , if you don't ...you don't.
Regardless of the features required to be considered attractive.

It would be the same way if there were different traits that people find attractive.

And it's the same way for both men and women. Different traits, but same principle , if you want the other sex to find you attractive ( or to be precise, more attractive then your peers ) you need to put in the effort. It is not a social pressure, it's means to an end.

That's like saying that is a social pressure that somebody need to train a lot in order to be an professional athlete.

Well I agree with you (aside from your last two sentences).

All I'm saying is that I feel that women have been largely been given a pretty strict idea of what is generally considered attractive (or even normal/acceptable). Their efforts on the matter seem to be much greater than that of most males. It seems unfair, and culturally and historically forced.