To be a woman: Sometimes I think it must suck!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: To be a woman: Sometimes I think it must suck!
(21-11-2013 12:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying there are obvious (to me) social pressures on women people to put their body through specific procedures in order to even be considered normal.

Fixed that for you.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 12:59 PM
(21-11-2013 12:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying there are obvious (to me) social pressures on women to put their body through specific procedures in order to even be considered normal.

Balderdash. People don't have to put their body through specific procedures to be considered normal.

Young folk with their hormones peaking will do any nonsense to attract as many possible mates as they can. Some women like it and "feel naked" without their rituals, it becomes a ritual.

Others, like me, don't like it and go natural and I have never had any issues attracting possible mates.

I like to think I attract a better quality mate.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
21-11-2013, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 01:06 PM by Adrianime.)
(21-11-2013 12:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 12:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying there are obvious (to me) social pressures on women people to put their body through specific procedures in order to even be considered normal.

Fixed that for you.

I wholly don't understand, perhaps our cultures are very different, but the pressure on men to do anything to be considered "normal" men PALE in comparison to what women have to do.

What do you feel men need to do to be considered normal men because of social pressure? If they don't do these things are they judged? And keep in mind I'm mostly speaking of physical changes one has to make to their natural self.
21-11-2013, 01:06 PM
(21-11-2013 12:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 12:45 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Well, I like men who don't think of women as this other entity that they'd hate to imagine being. I enjoy who I am, and it would be strange even being friends with a guy who actually thought, "Haha, it would really suck being you." To me, it is a childish way to think. No one's perfect, but that isn't something I could tolerate. In the same way you couldn't tolerate a woman with an unshaven face. Wink

But I didn't say, "Haha it would suck to be you." I don't think the matter is funny at all. I'm saying there are obvious (to me) social pressures on women to put their body through specific procedures in order to even be considered normal.

How is showing sympathy towards what MANY women have to go through...a bad thing?

And please, introduce me to a guy who doesn't think that it would suck to have to shave his legs on a regular basis. I'm betting that is a small minority.

In your title, you said "Sometimes it must suck!" That reads similarly to me. But if you truly didn't mean that it would suck to be a woman, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Sure, most guys would hate to have to shave their legs I'm sure. I don't know for sure though, I try to speak with people about more interesting topics.

Interestingly enough, I seem to get more compliments when I wear less makeup? Weird.
21-11-2013, 01:08 PM
(21-11-2013 12:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 12:53 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm saying there are obvious (to me) social pressures on women to put their body through specific procedures in order to even be considered normal.

Balderdash. People don't have to put their body through specific procedures to be considered normal.

Young folk with their hormones peaking will do any nonsense to attract as many possible mates as they can. Some women like it and "feel naked" without their rituals, it becomes a ritual.

Others, like me, don't like it and go natural and I have never had any issues attracting possible mates.

Dom, obviously we disagree. But what does your last sentence have to do with anything. Or are you just trying to get a jab in to imply that I am a "low quality mate"?
21-11-2013, 01:10 PM
(21-11-2013 01:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 12:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Balderdash. People don't have to put their body through specific procedures to be considered normal.

Dom, obviously we disagree. But what does your last sentence have to do with anything. Or are you just trying to get a jab in to imply that I am a "low quality mate"?

It's a matter of superficiality versus depth.

And we don't disagree, we are living life in different ways. You can't disagree that I never had to go through those rituals. It's a fact.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
(21-11-2013 01:06 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Interestingly enough, I seem to get more compliments when I wear less makeup? Weird.
I love it when girls don't wear makeup. I wasn't even going to list it, but since it is a part of my culture, and something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing as a male, I did.
(21-11-2013 12:55 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 12:46 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Of course some rules are stupid.

They change over time, sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much.
But you have to live today, not decades ago or decades from now.

Sure.

And also you probably did live decades ago.

And also you probably will live decades from now.

(21-11-2013 12:46 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Anyone who wants to start a change in standards, be my guest. I am not a pessimist, I just play with cards that were dealt to me rather then ask for new ones.

But that's literally the dumbest attitude ever. And not even coherent! "Playing the cards" implicitly assumes some agency on your behalf. You can't not affect things. Even apathy is always a political action.

I think you don't understand what I mean.

Sure I lived decades ago, and then I played by the rules to then and if I get to live decades from now I will live by the rules that will apply then, of course to the extent I want to follow the rules weighing benefits to effort needed.

About "playing the cards"
If you want to play tennis, you can play by the existing rues, or you can insist that the rules be changed because they are stupid , or you can sit by the court and cry because you don't like the rules.

I choose to learn the rules and play by them. Some people choose to make an effort to change the rules if they find them stupid, also correct.
If they succeed in changing them, I'll learn new ones and play by them if I want.

It's not apathy, I don't understand why you see it that way.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-11-2013, 01:13 PM
(21-11-2013 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 01:08 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Dom, obviously we disagree. But what does your last sentence have to do with anything. Or are you just trying to get a jab in to imply that I am a "low quality mate"?

It's a matter of superficiality versus depth.
In your opinion. You believe that depth cannot coexist with a physical attraction apparently? Either way, I'm actually kind of lost at what you are getting at. You disagree that women have an unfair role, yes. You yourself did not have pressure to conform, OK. What else?
21-11-2013, 01:17 PM
(21-11-2013 01:13 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's a matter of superficiality versus depth.
In your opinion. You believe that depth cannot coexist with a physical attraction apparently? Either way, I'm actually kind of lost at what you are getting at. You disagree that women have an unfair role, yes. You yourself did not have pressure to conform, OK. What else?

I am pointing out that your perception of women is one that appears to be localized and confined to a certain age group.

Also, this stuff becomes a ritual for many women, one that they do not like to do without. All humans have rituals, from drinking coffee in the morning to what have you.

Apart from the hormonally driven desire to attract as many possible mates as one can, there is no such pressure. And that desire is confined to a certain age group.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post