To build a toaster

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2012, 05:44 PM
To build a toaster
I recently came across this and found it be quite interesting,

http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites...ratch.html

TLDR
A man woke up one day, looked around, and came to the conclusion that he had no idea how anything around him worked. So, he picked an item, in this case a toaster, and decided that he would learn how it worked and build it from scratch.

I found this story to be really interesting, because he came to a conclusion that I believe most don't think about or would accept. Yet it is absolutely true! Every one of us is surrounded by advanced technology painstakingly developed via science, and most of people have little to no clue how any of it works.

This realization in turn lead me to a puzzling question. How can people in the US accept all this technology around them without question, yet be skeptical of the source, science? By that same logic, the next time they get a call they should look at their cell phones with a completely bewildered look, and then smash it on the ground. After all it is a product of science, which obviously can't be trusted.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
RE: To build a toaster
I like that he had to use a microwave to build a toaster.

This would be a good man to know after the Zombiepocalypse has destroyed most of civilization!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Speaking of Zombiepocalypse training.

My buddy has a younger sister. She's all of like five feet tall. maybe 110?
She has taken it upon herself to learn how to fend for herself just incase the apocalypse happens.

She has since learned how to grow her own food, build her own house, hunt and prepare the meat, shoot guns, bows, and wield a sword. She can ride horses and make her own clothes. Start a fire using found objects and treat minor to medium wounds. She also has two belts in martial arts. She's fucking gangster.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
(06-03-2012 08:53 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Speaking of Zombiepocalypse training.

My buddy has a younger sister. She's all of like five feet tall. maybe 110?
She has taken it upon herself to learn how to fend for herself just incase the apocalypse happens.

She has since learned how to grow her own food, build her own house, hunt and prepare the meat, shoot guns, bows, and wield a sword. She can ride horses and make her own clothes. Start a fire using found objects and treat minor to medium wounds. She also has two belts in martial arts. She's fucking gangster.

I wonder how hard it would be to cross the border. Probably not too tough since the border guards would likely be the first to be eaten, sitting there in their little glass booths.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm the nerd kind of guy so I know how almost everything I own works, not that I can make them from scratch, but in case of a zombie apocalypse I may be useful for a couple of months and then of course die, nerds always die.
Now that I think about it, I must go to the gym in order to increase my chances of surviving Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 3 users Like nach_in's post