To college or not to college...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2013, 10:59 AM
To college or not to college...
What do you guys think about this idea...

I have my bachelor's degree in economy, with major in tourism, my IT technician degree and web design certificate. I know a few languages, but all of this if bullshit. I hate tourism, I don't want to work with people, people are stupid. Economy sucks balls, there are thousands upon thousands of unemployed economists and although I have a job (accounting of some sort), working as an economist is the most boring shit ever. I can feel my intelligence lowering every day I spend like this. IT technician's degree is not specialized enough, or high enough to do some serious work.

So I have decided to become even more great, even more cool and go get myself another degree, but this time try and do it while working full time job and not go for some crappy economy, but the real deal. Usually it's a 3 year long college, but since I am working, it's a 4 year long college.

So what do you say, bachelor's degree as Electronics Engineer or Electroenergetics Engineer?

I was thinking of going with electroenergetic engineering, it's very similar and close to classic electronics, but it focuses more on things like solar panels, wind turbines and this new stuff that is in high demand these days.

Also, I need a bunch of recommendations for anything that will keep me concentrated for the next 4 years, because I have a terrible problem of ADD. And I smoke a lot. That does not help, I know, but I have lowered my smoking as much as I can and will continue to lower it.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
25-06-2013, 11:10 AM
RE: To college or not to college...
(25-06-2013 10:59 AM)Filox Wrote:  What do you guys think about this idea...

I have my bachelor's degree in economy, with major in tourism, my IT technician degree and web design certificate. I know a few languages, but all of this if bullshit. I hate tourism, I don't want to work with people, people are stupid. Economy sucks balls, there are thousands upon thousands of unemployed economists and although I have a job (accounting of some sort), working as an economist is the most boring shit ever. I can feel my intelligence lowering every day I spend like this. IT technician's degree is not specialized enough, or high enough to do some serious work.

So I have decided to become even more great, even more cool and go get myself another degree, but this time try and do it while working full time job and not go for some crappy economy, but the real deal. Usually it's a 3 year long college, but since I am working, it's a 4 year long college.

So what do you say, bachelor's degree as Electronics Engineer or Electroenergetics Engineer?

I was thinking of going with electroenergetic engineering, it's very similar and close to classic electronics, but it focuses more on things like solar panels, wind turbines and this new stuff that is in high demand these days.

Also, I need a bunch of recommendations for anything that will keep me concentrated for the next 4 years, because I have a terrible problem of ADD. And I smoke a lot. That does not help, I know, but I have lowered my smoking as much as I can and will continue to lower it.

Big Grin

Electroenergetics sounds promising. And I imagine they will be similar too, so doing one or the other may make little difference in the long-run anyways.

I say, go for it Thumbsup

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
25-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I think you should take the opportunity, while you're still alive on this dying planet and its suicidal species, to do whatever the hell you want to, instead of doing what you think you should, or instead of doing what you think is most practical to get ahead and secure yourself.

In other words, whichever one you really want to do, do that.

Do not waste your short life in this universe.

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
25-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Neither, be a lawyer.

In failing that, the later one with the solar panels and shit.
Like you say, that's an in high demand up and coming ever increasing in popularity and need (not just want) industry.
It sounds like it could be a very financially satisfying industry too and is easily relocatable all over the world.

That way you could help me with one of my business ideas I've got on my list of selling clean energy to the Chinese.
But because you'd be fresh out of college your wages would have to be low, you know how it is, I'm not running a charity here. Tongue

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Neither, become a professional ballerina.

In failing that, the later one with the solar panels and shit.
Like you say, that's an in high demand up and coming ever increasing in popularity and need (not just want) industry.
It sounds like it could be a very financially satisfying industry too and is easily relocatable all over the world.

That way you could help me with one of my business ideas I've got on my list of selling clean energy to the Chinese (and tutu's!).
But because you'd be fresh out of college your wages would have to be low, you know how it is, I'm not running a charity here.

In other words, what muffs said... allllllmost. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
25-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Stop thinking like an employee and start thinking like an entrepreneur.

Look around your city, identify a need, and fill the need. It doesn't have to be glamorous.

Concentrate on finding a need that will eventually throw off residual income, something that won't require your presence every waking hour of every day.

Unless you have a passion, and this passion earns you a comfortable living working for a company, I think the best choice is to be your own boss.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-06-2013, 06:22 AM
If you are a reading man, I suggest the book Worthless, by Aaron Clarey, available on kindle. He's a professor of economics who tells it like it is not sparing "feelings" about which degrees are useful for future earnings potential and which are a waste of time and money. I'm only a little bit into this book but it's sobering. You seem to me to be the kind of guy who can handle the truth. He'd approve of electrical engineering though
27-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Maybe I explained it a bit wrong, so it seems I am thinking about this only because of a better job and more money, but the truth is that electronics and electricity in general were and are my favorite subjects and things that interest me. More specifically, computers, hi-end audios systems and clean, stable, safe power for those two. I want to build my own tube amplifier.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
27-06-2013, 12:20 PM
(27-06-2013 11:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  Maybe I explained it a bit wrong, so it seems I am thinking about this only because of a better job and more money, but the truth is that electronics and electricity in general were and are my favorite subjects and things that interest me. More specifically, computers, hi-end audios systems and clean, stable, safe power for those two. I want to build my own tube amplifier.

Big Grin

Oh, definitely college.

Wanting to learn something is the best (I'd almost say only) reason to go to a university. If you get a better job out of it, so much the nicer for you.

Vacuum tubes are AWESOME. I never had a chance to do much playing with them, but one time we used them instead of transistors on a little robot we built. It was adorable.
28-06-2013, 05:01 AM
(27-06-2013 11:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  Maybe I explained it a bit wrong, so it seems I am thinking about this only because of a better job and more money, but the truth is that electronics and electricity in general were and are my favorite subjects and things that interest me. More specifically, computers, hi-end audios systems and clean, stable, safe power for those two. I want to build my own tube amplifier.

Big Grin

Bullshit.
If people got jobs based on what they want to do in life then we'd have 7billion ice cream tasters and nobody to do anything else.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.