To get to Hell from Texas, Head North

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: To get to Hell from Texas, Head North
I've hot rodded a few over the years, especially when I worked as a mechanic. I jsold my '68 Buick Skylark California GS a few months back, so I'm down to 5 vehicles. I turned my hand to wood carving to supplement my wood working. In fact, I am selling my ornamental mill, http://legacywoodworking.com/ornamentalmilling.cfm as I don't see my having my plate clear for using it in my lifetime, based on my other pursuits (I also work with copper).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Indiana has been pretty warm the past couple of months, nothing like that though.

I still miss Kodiak's fair 80 degree summers. I'll take the whole winter up there over a day of summer down here!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
15-08-2016, 12:33 AM
Quote:In fact, I am selling my ornamental mill, http://legacywoodworking.com/ornamentalmilling.cfm as I don't see my having my plate clear for using it in my lifetime, based on my other pursuits (I also work with copper).

I work wood when I have to, and I'm ok at it, but my forte is metal...it's so much more forgiving. I am set up to electroplate and powder coat here in my shop, I have a hot blueing tank, every kind of welder and torch ever created- probably several of each, lol...I have a pretty well outfitted machine shop, mill, lathe, pipe benders, shears, brakes, etc...stand alone and an Edwards Ironworker too, coolest tool ever invented.
I'm into blacksmithing, and have 3 forges, large and small gas forges and a bellows coal forge for sword making. Copper is one of my favorite metals, I use it a lot in the hotrods, in custom dashes and things. I love running a metal lathe, it's just amazing what you can create...to me it's similar to playing guitar, I like to chuck up a big chunk of steel or copper or brass and just "noodle" like with one of my Gibsons...no plan, just see where the lathe takes me. :roll eyes:

I love making blades, particularly Damascus. For me it's a winter only hobby though...it's really hard to fire up the forge in Texas summer. Ugh.
I have a Nemesis, which is a Katana made in the traditional way. VERY time consuming but if done properly, some of the strongest steel ever made. I have made 4 so far, and every one warped during the temper process. It's maddening. Angry
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
15-08-2016, 12:40 AM
(14-08-2016 01:55 PM)Loom Wrote:  Indiana has been pretty warm the past couple of months, nothing like that though.

I still miss Kodiak's fair 80 degree summers. I'll take the whole winter up there over a day of summer down here!

I lived all over Alaska, and I think Fairbanks was my favorite. (North Pole, actually) Stooopid cold in winter, I saw 70 below, even -80F in pilot creek once. But summers you get constant daylight- even though the sun "technically" dips below the horizon a bit, it stays light...and usually low 80's, although I did see a 104F one summer. Very dry, so not as bas as Texas, and it was brief, but...104 summer to a -65 winter that year. Talk about a seasonal variance!

I would go flyfishing off in the bush with my dog, and the third day I'd feel like I'd taken LSD...I'd suddenly realize that I had forgotten to sleep for 3 days! The sun stays up, so...your body clock freezes. Then the trippy peripheral vision and vibrant colors and 60's acid trip flashbacks...wow.
15-08-2016, 02:36 AM
(13-08-2016 02:12 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Reminds me, I need to recharge the AC in my truck, it's a goddamned greenhouse in there.

I just had to replace the compressor, dryer, condenser, evaporator and expansion valve on my daughter's car last week, the compressor ate itself and threw chunks all throughout the system. Replaced everything and power flushed the lines, then set my big vacuum pump on it...took 20 minutes to draw down, but it was still pulling moisture an hour later. Humidity sucks. Finally got it dry inside and charged it, damned thing blows ice, 34 degrees at the center vent. Aaahhhhh....I sat in it to test it out and dozed off, woke up an hour and a half later and had to go put gas in it for her, lol. A dad's work is never done...Smile

I'm hoping it's just a recharge I need. It's been blowing uncooled for so long, and perhaps showing signs of compressor failure --though not catastrophic, as in her case.

Glad you decided to stick around, too -- the forum needs more Texans. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-08-2016, 02:39 AM
(14-08-2016 08:46 AM)JakSiemasz Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 01:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  NW Travis county here, we've been sitting around a hundred for a few weeks now, indices from 104 to 110. High humidity.

Still not as bad as Aug 2012 -- 21 days straight in triple digits, heat index well above that.

Reminds me, I need to recharge the AC in my truck, it's a goddamned greenhouse in there.

Hi, Thump.....on Lake Travis near Briarcliff.

You play at any of the local spots?

lol, my mom lives in Briarcliff. I live on the other side of the river off Paleface Ranch road. Damned glad for the rain, I've been wanting October to hurry along, this is a short tease but we gotta take what we get.

I play Poodie's open-mic about every few weeks. I won't be up there this upcoming Wednesday, but will next Wed, I'd be happy to meet ya there and we can get a cold one, bud. Shoot me a PM and we'll set it up.

I probably already know you, from work -- I'm the night mgr at the Exxon at Bob Wire Rd ... the ugly asshole with a goatee and limp. Smile
15-08-2016, 02:41 AM
<edited, double-post>
15-08-2016, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2016 11:58 AM by Anjele.)
The high temperature here in DFW was 107 degrees Friday...pretty much where it had been for several days prior. Today the high is supposed to reach 78 degrees. Time to dig out long-sleeved shirts, hoodies, and close up the pool for the season. Tongue

Seriously, a nice break from the heat is quite welcome as is the light rain we have right now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-08-2016, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2016 01:00 PM by The Dark One.)
Quote:Seriously, a nice break from the heat is quite welcome as is the light rain we have right now.

I think we're still reaching 90, but it's much better with all of the rain. I'll take what I can get this time of year! I cannot figure out why my heat tolerance is so poor and my cold tolerance almost limitless. I am a 6th generation Texan, at least...yet I can go around in tank tops in Alaska when it's 20 below, and anything over 80 in Texas and I'm leaning towards miserable. Crazy. My wife wants us to relocate, maybe to the USVI, St. Croix...or depending on the election, to an island where we can be ex-pats, lol. I don't know about never having a winter again...despite the moderate summer temps there, I do like bundling up in coats sometimes. Smile
15-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Quote:the ugly asshole with a goatee and limp. Smile

Hang on a minute...I'm the ugly asshole with the goatee and limp who plays guitar. Are you sure you aren't me? What number are we thinking of?