To go from atheist to theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2015, 10:32 PM
While I was trying to figure out if Christianity was true, I stumbled upon the Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel. He claimed to be an atheist who discovered Christ and became a born-again. I can understand someone becoming an atheist by discovering that God is non-existent, but how could someone go honestly begin to believe in the crap that religion spews after not believing in it for so long. I have come across some stories like this, a life-long atheist finally finding Jesus and believing the truth. I would think that becoming a non-believer would be a more truthful reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 10:36 PM
RE: To go from atheist to theist
(04-04-2015 10:32 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  While I was trying to figure out if Christianity was true, I stumbled upon the Case for Christ, by Lee Strobel. He claimed to be an atheist who discovered Christ and became a born-again. I can understand someone becoming an atheist by discovering that God is non-existent, but how could someone go honestly begin to believe in the crap that religion spews after not believing in it for so long. I have come across some stories like this, a life-long atheist finally finding Jesus and believing the truth. I would think that becoming a non-believer would be a more truthful reality.

Is it possible? Yes.

Do I buy Lee Stobel's story? Fuck no, I think it's nothing more than a ploy to sell his false legitimacy to his intended audience, the people who already believe his shit. His book is not written for the skeptic, it written to reinforce those who already agree with him.

An Atheist Reads The Case for Christ

Were I to take the most charitable position possible after reading this book, were I to accept Strobel’s claims that he was an atheist and that his intention was to present the facts about Jesus to other atheists and skeptics so that they might judge for themselves, were I to ignore the bias and attempts at manipulation, the best I could say for The Case for Christ is that it is a chronicle of its author’s credulity. If this was the evidence and these were the arguments that transformed Strobel from an atheist to a born-again evangelical Christian, I’m afraid it doesn’t say much for him.
-Steve Shives

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-04-2015, 10:51 PM
He probably wasn't a true athe... Nevermind. Big Grin
[+] 10 users Like pablo's post
04-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm with EK. For me it's not so much the story, it's that it's Strobel.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
04-04-2015, 11:30 PM
It's a common story. It's like a bait and switch, the guy who never thinks about religion, didn't care about it all. Then starts going to church, suddenly the story he's a "recovered" atheist goes around and sticks.

While I agree all atheism is, is a disbelief in god, I think it should be a more thoughtful process than just, "duh I dunno."

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Is Strobel the guy that says the argument from the resurrection is one of the arguments that converted him? Literally the worst argument for Christian theism ever.

Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like Skeptical Skeptic's post
04-04-2015, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 01:40 AM by DLJ.)
I saw a really good article on this recently.

I think it was via the Patheos feed. I've seeked but have not found. Still looking.

EDIT: Found it!

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-04-2015, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 02:49 AM by cactus.)
If he was an atheist before, I highly doubt he got to there through skepticism. It was probably just from a lack of caring, the same way that I was a "Christian" before I actually had well-thought-out views of my own.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
05-04-2015, 02:50 AM
I don't know this particular person but on the general topic, yes it's possible.

Believing or not is not a choice of a moment. You don't just decide to believe, or to stop believing. It's the result of being convinced, genuinely convinced by a certain reasoning and arguments. Certainly those can be wrong, making you reach the wrong conclusion (whatever you think to be the wrong one), but it's still a reasoned process.

Even if many believe since they were kids because of education, you still reinforce those beliefs through the years by looking at arguments.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
05-04-2015, 06:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 07:12 AM by DLJ.)
I really think it's mostly a matter of how well read and researched you are as an atheist that determines how well rooted you are in your stance.

There's a lot of us that are lost and in search of answers that make sense to us, which is only natural.

For those that haven't read the bible for what it is or even paid attention to science are going to be more easily swayed by what the apologists have to say.

Before I really started to become more rooted in atheism, one of my best friends and her boyfriend (who I've mentioned before in other forums) took an extreme turn to the Messianic belief and when I started really questioning, they wouldn't hesitate to spew out "science" (from Answers in Genesis, no less) and how everything else that we've been taught is a lie.

I couldn't really come back with anything because I really didn't have the answers and I was still on that fence and finally decided to start researching for myself rather than listen to what others tell me is suppose to be true.

Needless to say, the more I read, the more things finally made sense and I became convinced that the concept of God is nothing more than a man-made entity designed to control the masses.

If only others would be bothered to read more than one book. Rolleyes

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 2 users Like kristenkjordan's post