To keep, or not to keep; that is the question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 12:20 PM
To keep, or not to keep; that is the question
So, this is something that I've been thinking about for a while, and I'm still not entirely certain what to do. I've been noticing more and more recently, that some of the songs in my music collection feature; homophobic, sexist, possibly racist (although none from any of the white artists in my collection that I've noticed) and somewhat religious messages.

The homophobic and sexist words and phrases appear exclusively in the hip hop and rap that I am learning to love (I'm mainly into rap from artists that are not from the US). Some of the tracks, I have deleted, and some I haven't.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I should be deleting these songs. The ones that contain these messages, where I didn't already like the song otherwise, I have already deleted, but some of the other songs I love for the beat, or for the skill that went into making them, I'm torn between keeping them for the parts that I do love, or getting rid of them for the parts that I find objectionable. I really enjoy some of the songs, but when something homophobic or sexist or whatever comes up in the track, it makes me start to feel guilty for liking the track, like I'm oppressing someone by enjoying the track.

On the one hand, I recognize that this is a bit irrational, but at the same time, by purchasing the music, I am helping to support an artist who has views that contribute to keeping people ashamed of who they are, or afraid to speak out.

Have any of you thought about this before, or had any experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 12:25 AM
RE: To keep, or not to keep; that is the question
As long as your music doesn't influence your way of thought, it shouldn't matter. If it has a negative effect, as in steering you towards racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. then you should stop listening to it. If not, keep on rockin'.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost0fBanquo's post
27-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Why does this remind me of "Should I eat at Chick-fil-A?" conversations? Consider
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
27-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Too true. Perhaps I am concern trolling myself. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 10:05 PM
If you feel guilty about buying their music, just don't... get it through "alternative" methods, if you know what I mean Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]