To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?
(10-01-2017 01:51 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Respect is NOT earned by denigrating another person.
Then why the ad hominem attacks in place of addressing actual arguments? Why the mischaracterization of our position? Practice what you preach.

All you have done is keep restating your position, you haven't supported it or presented counterfacts to our objections. No wonder people think you're a theist, you use the same tired tactics.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
10-01-2017, 11:50 AM
(07-01-2017 08:59 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Is it reasonable for a theist to sin? Of course. Being human is a "sin," for the single reason that each and everyone of us thinks only of ourselves. Altruism died the moment it left the cranium and was uttered out of some fool's mouth. We live in a "ME-world," live a "ME-existence," and worship a "ME-personal God."

Having read all your posts in this thread now, I've concluded that since you obviously are "ME" oriented yourself, it's difficult for you now to see how others aren't the same and how others sometimes do things out of true altruism. I wonder, do you also consider it a sin to blind yourself to reality with your own arrogance? Consider

Years ago, I left the field of psychology largely because it was full of arrogant people who chose their pet theories, treated them as truth, and snubbed their noses at people believing in opposing theories. You sound very much like them. You have a little knowledge about some mythologies and present yourself as an authority. And you don't even do so politely. You really should try listening to yourself because, to those of us on the outside, you sound rather foolish. I'm not meaning that as an insult - it's just something you should be aware of.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
10-01-2017, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 08:08 PM by Chas.)
The OP doesn't actually make any sense. Reasonable?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-01-2017, 08:07 PM
(10-01-2017 01:53 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  And, I believe that atheism is made-up baloney, too.
(10-01-2017 01:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's one of the stupidest statements you've made. Facepalm

Not really. I made statements before that I am sure are much more stupid.

Interesting that you don't back up your accusation, though. Love to hear it.

Atheism is a lack of belief in theistic claims - it makes no claims, there is nothing to be 'made-up'.
Your statement was and is idiotic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2017, 08:31 PM
(10-01-2017 01:51 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  The responses to me have been hilarious! Really! I believe you all look in the mirror and believe you are talking to me!

Apparently, I AM the only one who can see color in rhetorical discussions. You black-and-white fellahs insisting that words can only be used within a constricted framework either are incapable of thinking outside your tiny boxes or are afraid someone will crack your precious rice bowls.

Respect is NOT earned by denigrating another person. One or two have earned some respect; you others have earned my disrespect through your behavior and tone that I have come to expect from Christians, believe it or not.

But the biggest laugh of all is that you all think I am a theist! Ha-ha-ha! Slap my fanny and pass the jug! That's a good 'un!

Wow, another gnostic agnostic certain only of his own holy uncertainty.

[Image: atheists.png]

Personally, I'd be thrilled if you were here with something new and interesting. Sadly, it's obvious that you are neither new nor interesting. We've done this all before so let's be honest about a few things:

(1) Contrary to any claims you may have made you are here to be argumentative, not to discuss. Your arrogance and dismissiveness are all but designed to shut down conversation. Likewise your swaggering claims of academic credentials that you clearly do not possess. You don't give a fuck what we think and it couldn't be more obvious if it were tattooed on your forehead in blazing neon.

(2) There is a difference between having an open mind and an empty skull. The fact that your notions have been rejected as flawed does not demonstrate closed-mindedness. Quite to the contrary, it shows that your ideas were taken in, examined, found wanting, and rejected. The more you whine about closed-mindedness the more I am convinced that you simply want your ideas accepted without any critical examination whatsoever. The only reason for that behavior is that they are without merit.

(3) There is a difference between a flexible mind and a fluid vocabulary. Being able to wrap your head around a difficult concept is laudable. Rewriting the dictionary to hide flawed reasoning is not. Words have agreed upon definitions to facilitate the exchange of ideas with a minimum of misunderstanding. Using words properly and properly defining your terms before hand is vital to any sort of meaningful discussion. Playing the semantics game simply demonstrates that your argument can't be made without warping words out of recognition. This is an indication that you are not only wrong but dishonest as well.

But feel free to prove me wrong. Post a meaningful argument that makes your point without redefining "faith", "worship" or "sin". Or don't and just keep pretending that you are right and everybody else is wrong so that you can shore up that manifest insecurity with a little more false superiority.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-01-2017, 08:34 PM
(10-01-2017 01:51 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  The responses to me have been hilarious! Really! I believe you all look in the mirror and believe you are talking to me!

A hundred people sit in a room.

One looks around and sees ninety-nine assholes.

Guess what the other ninety-nine see.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-01-2017, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-01-2017 08:59 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  But Jesus knocked the wind out both "grievous" sins by quoting the Torah: Love God and Love your neighbor. The most "grievous" sin, then, according to Jesus is to proclaim a love for God while not loving one's neighbor.

Some dude called Hillel the Elder (think he still owns a house on the University of Maryland campus, adjacent to the business school naturally) was challenged by some young heathen that he would consent to genital mutilation if old Jew could explain the entirety of the Torah to him while standing on one foot. Old Jew thought for a minute about whether it was really worth bringing another idiot into the fold and then remembered that there was genital mutilation involved and someone always brought cake. So standing on one foot conniving old bastard said:

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn." ‚ÄČ- H.P. Lovecraft (Shabbath folio:31a, Babylonian Talmud).

So young heathen found out what it really means to be a worthy of Jewhood or more accurately lack of hood. Grampa was going through a little dementia at the time and was hungry when he spotted a pork rind on the floor. And thus began the delicacy known affectionately today as metzitzah. I'm gonna start asking for it at the Jewish parties my friends host. "Hey schmuck! Where's the fried metzitzah? It's supposed to be next to the calamari."

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-01-2017, 08:39 PM
(10-01-2017 08:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 01:53 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:   And, I believe that atheism is made-up baloney, too.

Not really. I made statements before that I am sure are much more stupid.

Interesting that you don't back up your accusation, though. Love to hear it.

Atheism is a lack of belief in theistic claims - it makes no claims, there is nothing to be 'made-up'.
Your statement was and is idiotic.

Bolding mine. And claims to be an atheist!? Shoo, Wallisddj, like a fly.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
10-01-2017, 08:42 PM
(10-01-2017 02:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 02:21 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Yes, yes. Well, you certainly earned my respect today, didn't you? Ever thought of looking into anger management?

Why should I care about troll respect? Also anger? Your armchair psychology is just as lacking as your debating skills.

Oh noes! Szuchow you have become

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

And you were doing so well with the meetings and the meds and hardly ever eating babies anymore!

---
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-01-2017, 08:49 PM
(08-01-2017 03:28 AM)Wallisddj Wrote:  I will submit that everyone worships something. People don't call it worship, but the form is worship regardless.

Prioritization is not generally equated with worship.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post