To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?
Hmmm. I usually avoid Borg's threads, well because he's a dipshit. I missed this conversation...

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  As to the "strawman," I would kindly ask you to review the comments I received upon my first post, which was to a poster who I believed was a theist.

I would point out that spending a brief amount of time on the boards does not qualify you to judge other posters on their feelings about religion. You're free to do so of course, but you'll likely be wrong.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  That post, by the way, was not directed at anyone else in particular.

Yeah, get used to that. If you want one poster to respond, make it a private conversation. Otherwise, it's fair game.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  I hope that you will appreciate my confusion with the bombardment of replies along with the nitpicking of each sentence. I mean, who does that? Here, I guess. Sentences are supposed to be supportive of the paragraph which is supposed to convey a single thought or idea.

Nitpicking? Well, yes I personally do that here. If you are coming here preaching the glories of god, bring your A game. I would expect nothing less from a messenger from an omnipotent deity.

As far as sentence by sentence, yeah, sometimes you have to do that. Sometimes there are errors in each sentence that need to be addressed. I'm not saying your posts are like that, yet. Time will tell.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Yes, I am aware that many atheists were once theists. I wasn't born yesterday. In fact, many theologians end up being more atheistic.

Then why would you make the statement that you did? There are many posters here that left religion. Some posters have left multiple religions and sorted through multiple belief systems. Additionally, most of us here have studied the topics and have formed our beliefs and opinions over time.

So, allow me to ask you a question:

Why are you here?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-01-2017, 10:51 PM
(15-01-2017 09:40 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What made you believe this way, if you don't mind my asking?

Thought I had mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it.

I dated a woman, and we accidentally bumped the back of our wrists. It was like time stood still: I "saw" several visions of the two of us in what I can only inadequately describe as past lives. We were young, married, had either children or one on the way. Three different lifetimes. And in one lifetime, I was the wife. We were massacred by an invading army or group all three times. And judging from what I remember of the environment, we were Asian and possibly living in the area now known as the Heilungjang Province.

Each of us have experienced deja vu. What if deja vu is more than the scientific explanation of one part of the brain catching up with the other parts of the brain. When I first visited and lived in Korea, I could not help but feel somewhere deep down inside that I have been here before. Many times before.

Mmmmkay. Not sure how to respond to this. This makes two times in one day. Confused

I was getting my toenails done today and I was chatting with the girl doing my nails. She was going on about seeing aliens and I was trying to think of an eloquent and polite way to respond so I didn't make her feel bad, but I also conveyed my skepticism.

You had to realize that on a site that attracts skeptics, people weren't going to buy this. -You did realize this, right?
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
15-01-2017, 11:06 PM
(15-01-2017 10:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:29 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  The point that you believe in only one life differs from mine. Can't prove it, but, unfortunately, I believe I'll be back again.

Based on nothing but wishful thinking. Sad, really. Drinking Beverage

Whatever. Big Grin
15-01-2017, 11:08 PM
(15-01-2017 10:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:40 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Thought I had mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it.

I dated a woman, and we accidentally bumped the back of our wrists. It was like time stood still: I "saw" several visions of the two of us in what I can only inadequately describe as past lives. We were young, married, had either children or one on the way. Three different lifetimes. And in one lifetime, I was the wife. We were massacred by an invading army or group all three times. And judging from what I remember of the environment, we were Asian and possibly living in the area now known as the Heilungjang Province.

Each of us have experienced deja vu. What if deja vu is more than the scientific explanation of one part of the brain catching up with the other parts of the brain. When I first visited and lived in Korea, I could not help but feel somewhere deep down inside that I have been here before. Many times before.

Mmmmkay. Not sure how to respond to this. This makes two times in one day. Confused

I was getting my toenails done today and I was chatting with the girl doing my nails. She was going on about seeing aliens and I was trying to think of an eloquent and polite way to respond so I didn't make her feel bad, but I also conveyed my skepticism.

You had to realize that on a site that attracts skeptics, people weren't going to buy this. -You did realize this, right?

Oh, yes!

Please note that I am not a believer myself. Still, with the experiences, I have to wonder.
15-01-2017, 11:10 PM
(15-01-2017 10:45 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Hmmm. I usually avoid Borg's threads, well because he's a dipshit. I missed this conversation...

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  As to the "strawman," I would kindly ask you to review the comments I received upon my first post, which was to a poster who I believed was a theist.

I would point out that spending a brief amount of time on the boards does not qualify you to judge other posters on their feelings about religion. You're free to do so of course, but you'll likely be wrong.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  That post, by the way, was not directed at anyone else in particular.

Yeah, get used to that. If you want one poster to respond, make it a private conversation. Otherwise, it's fair game.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  I hope that you will appreciate my confusion with the bombardment of replies along with the nitpicking of each sentence. I mean, who does that? Here, I guess. Sentences are supposed to be supportive of the paragraph which is supposed to convey a single thought or idea.

Nitpicking? Well, yes I personally do that here. If you are coming here preaching the glories of god, bring your A game. I would expect nothing less from a messenger from an omnipotent deity.

As far as sentence by sentence, yeah, sometimes you have to do that. Sometimes there are errors in each sentence that need to be addressed. I'm not saying your posts are like that, yet. Time will tell.

(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Yes, I am aware that many atheists were once theists. I wasn't born yesterday. In fact, many theologians end up being more atheistic.

Then why would you make the statement that you did? There are many posters here that left religion. Some posters have left multiple religions and sorted through multiple belief systems. Additionally, most of us here have studied the topics and have formed our beliefs and opinions over time.

So, allow me to ask you a question:

Why are you here?

1) I was invited. 2) I like sharing and learning what other people think and believe (or not believe, as might be the case).
15-01-2017, 11:51 PM
(15-01-2017 09:46 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  Dodgy So you reserve the right to make such a statement but not back it up. Look, I'm not a fan of preachers (ETA: I appreciate that you say you're not here to preach), but if you're gonna tell me I believe in strawmen I'd like to know precisely which. You must have had *some* idea of what you meant when you uttered those words surely?

Allow me to quibble. By statement, I believe you are inferring that I made a declaration. I described my impression. As to the "strawman," I would kindly ask you to review the comments I received upon my first post, which was to a poster who I believed was a theist. That post, by the way, was not directed at anyone else in particular.

Amigo, you said that you had formed the impression that atheists in general on this site believed a lot of strawmen on religion, theism and theologians. When challenged you claim that the problem is with my understanding of your post? I'm not particularly interested in who said what to you, an answer to my question would be as follows:
  • Most atheists on this site seem to believe that religion is an invented fairytale. This is in fact a strawman. Religion has complex roots. Blah blah etc.
  • As evidence for the fact that this is a strawman I can cite the following: Point 1. God said to the Hebrews... etc.

We could then have a discussion.

Quote:I hope that you will appreciate my confusion with the bombardment of replies along with the nitpicking of each sentence. I mean, who does that? Here, I guess. Sentences are supposed to be supportive of the paragraph which is supposed to convey a single thought or idea.

Yes, I am aware that many atheists were once theists. I wasn't born yesterday. In fact, many theologians end up being more atheistic.

Point to include: I wasn't the first poster to use the words "preaching" and "sermonizing." Curious, no?
Well forgive a little flamboyance in language. I just get tired of people rocking up and telling us what's wrong with us is all. I have no idea what your guff about sentences and so forth is supposed to mean.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2017, 02:59 AM
(15-01-2017 09:40 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 09:32 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What made you believe this way, if you don't mind my asking?

Thought I had mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it.

I can make kimchi. Seriously. Although the first time I made it all the Koreans at my dinner party fell about laughing. Weeping

I learned later of course. Smartass

Then I got really into Korean cooking, with the chili spice and chili sauce and sesame oil.... Drooling

The side dishes are interesting. I always like radish. There's virtually anything you want. Even mashed potato's.

I read your story, but I can't see what it has to do with japchae???

Take my advice, buy a house and a car, give her the keys and save yourself 15 years. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
16-01-2017, 06:39 AM
(15-01-2017 11:10 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  
(15-01-2017 10:45 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Why are you here?

1) I was invited. 2) I like sharing and learning what other people think and believe (or not believe, as might be the case).

Thanks! Thumbsup Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-01-2017, 08:58 AM
(15-01-2017 09:40 PM)Wallisddj Wrote:  Thought I had mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it.

Your mind is playing tricks on you. Seriously, think about it. Even if you were to die and come back in another life, what are the chances that you would just so happen to land in the same area as anyone that you knew in the previous life? The world and its population are huge. In fact, for you to see someone you knew, they too would have to come back in the same time period and place as you. If I understood you correctly, you said this not only happened, but it happened 3 times and with the same person. And you were married all 3 times. And, if that's not hard enough to believe, you "saw" all this by a mere accidental touching of backs of hands.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-01-2017, 06:51 PM
(16-01-2017 08:58 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

Your mind is playing tricks on you. Seriously, think about it. Even if you were to die and come back in another life, what are the chances that you would just so happen to land in the same area as anyone that you knew in the previous life? The world and its population are huge. In fact, for you to see someone you knew, they too would have to come back in the same time period and place as you. If I understood you correctly, you said this not only happened, but it happened 3 times and with the same person. And you were married all 3 times. And, if that's not hard enough to believe, you "saw" all this by a mere accidental touching of backs of hands.

Yep! Weird, huh?

In my opinion, beliefs are formed by experiences. Yet, I am not ready to believe that reincarnation is real or has substance. It is something that happened. By the way, the young lady I was with shared with me that she "saw" the same thing.

As my imagination ranges far and wide, I have wondered why I was born an American. Why not some other place? There are theories that espouse that before we come back into a life, we get to "pick and choose" between different possibilities. Another theory is that one comes back in the area where one died. I haven't the foggiest idea.

What can be upsetting to me is the dreaded "hell" of having to learn from scratch all over again. To me, that is wasteful and unproductive.