To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2017, 06:35 PM
RE: To theists only: is it reasonable for a theist to sin?
(06-01-2017 05:46 PM)Loom Wrote:  That is the most coherent thread title I've seen from this guy.

[Image: 66493720.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
06-01-2017, 07:33 PM
(06-01-2017 02:43 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Seeing as though this is an atheist website.

Here's some scripture you should know!

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

One reason I hate xianity. It has no morals.

Fuck you borgy.
I'm so glad I'm born in these times and not earlier in history. Gasp
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
06-01-2017, 08:41 PM
(06-01-2017 03:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For instance, I'm personally in a state of mortal sin right now and will be going to Confession tomorrow afternoon. As a result, I'm further sinning by continuing to do the act that placed me in mortal sin; however, that act impacts no one but my own body and is not illegal under secular law. This is something else I'll confess to doing, and depending on the priest I get, the riot act will be read at me for doing so.

He's secretly getting quite a charge out of what he hears.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-01-2017, 10:50 PM

[Image: 6af.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
06-01-2017, 11:15 PM
(06-01-2017 05:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 03:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Holy moly Dom, were you my camp counselor at a Baptist summer camp back in the day? Because we were told that due to Once Saved, Always Saved, that we shouldn't desire to sin, but could do so, knowing that it had been forgiven once we had accepted Christ. And to be ready to meet Hitler in Heaven, because he'd been a Christian.

Something else our Borgy friend needs to define beyond what is reasonable, is also what distinction is he making for venial and mortal sins, since Orthodoxy and Catholicism share them in common as an idea*. For instance, I'm personally in a state of mortal sin right now and will be going to Confession tomorrow afternoon. As a result, I'm further sinning by continuing to do the act that placed me in mortal sin; however, that act impacts no one but my own body and is not illegal under secular law. This is something else I'll confess to doing, and depending on the priest I get, the riot act will be read at me for doing so. I have a feeling that while the Borg may think that my initial fall to temptation would be reasonable, my continued actions would be unreasonable. But not sure if that's how he feels, or if he thinks he's perfect and without sin...in which case, he would be, by his own church's definition, a heretic.

*To an extent, they do share mortal, but then there's also "pardonable" and "of omission" I think in Orthodoxy.

Are you saying that masturbation is a mortal sin?

Well I was trying to avoid that particular word for it, but yes. It falls under the same category in the teachings of the Catholic Church as does anal sex, oral sex, "homosexual sex acts", pearl necklaces, etc.; anything semen related that does end in a vagina, or in the words of theologians, "be open to the possibility of life". Interestingly enough though, under John Paul II's Theology of the Body, he scolds men who just finish and stop if their partner doesn't climax, encouraging the guy to do what his wife would want/need to be able to reach release as well.

(06-01-2017 08:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 03:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  For instance, I'm personally in a state of mortal sin right now and will be going to Confession tomorrow afternoon. As a result, I'm further sinning by continuing to do the act that placed me in mortal sin; however, that act impacts no one but my own body and is not illegal under secular law. This is something else I'll confess to doing, and depending on the priest I get, the riot act will be read at me for doing so.

He's secretly getting quite a charge out of what he hears.

I've had one before that I totally believe that.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Dang, looks like we chased Borgy off his thread. Laughat

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
07-01-2017, 06:55 AM
(06-01-2017 11:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  ...anything semen related that does end in a vagina, or in the words of theologians, "be open to the possibility of life".

So if you are "open to the possibility of life" while masturbating you are OK? I mean, they buy virgin births and all sorts of miracles so why can't god make masturbation result in new life? If you're going to disregard science in some cases, why not all?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
07-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Roman Catholicism putting the semen back in seminaryTongue Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
07-01-2017, 08:24 AM
(07-01-2017 07:03 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Roman Catholicism putting the semen back in seminaryTongue Big Grin

Insemination, so to speak... I've always enjoyed that priests go to seminary.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-01-2017, 09:28 AM
(06-01-2017 11:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 05:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Are you saying that masturbation is a mortal sin?

Well I was trying to avoid that particular word for it, but yes. It falls under the same category in the teachings of the Catholic Church as does anal sex, oral sex, "homosexual sex acts", pearl necklaces, etc.; anything semen related that does end in a vagina, or in the words of theologians, "be open to the possibility of life". Interestingly enough though, under John Paul II's Theology of the Body, he scolds men who just finish and stop if their partner doesn't climax, encouraging the guy to do what his wife would want/need to be able to reach release as well.

(06-01-2017 08:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's secretly getting quite a charge out of what he hears.

I've had one before that I totally believe that.

Some of the stuff those crazy Catholics comes up with. Facepalm

And these rules were established by men that are allegedly celibate. Facepalm

And these rules imply that creating life is somehow a priority for this god as they ignore this god's planetary genocide in Genesis. Facepalm

Seriously, I believe that most Catholics don't take these rules seriously, it's just so absurd, from who is making the rules about sex, to their ridiculous assumptions implied by these rues.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post