To train up a child

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-11-2013, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 02:25 PM by Cathym112.)
To train up a child
http://www.examiner.com/article/another-...up-a-child

At least they were found guilty.....if the parents were smart, they would file a civil suit against the pearls.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 02:21 PM
RE: To train up a child
People like this sicken me.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Disgusting.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.
19-11-2013, 02:27 PM
It's just sad. I can't believe people still listen to the pearls.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Sentenced to 30 years

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-11-2013, 02:34 PM
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

But only somehow. .. .. .. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-11-2013, 02:35 PM
(19-11-2013 02:30 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Sentenced to 30 years

So depending on the way the state runs the prison system they could be out in 5-6.

Seems fair.Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
19-11-2013, 02:38 PM
(19-11-2013 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's just sad. I can't believe people still listen to the pearls.

I listened, and took notes. They and I have obedient, believing, confident, secure, wise, intelligent, respectful, accomplished children.

The converse is true--many angry and vile people I've known were not disciplined as children just as the Bible predicts--the rod and reproof give wisdom both.
19-11-2013, 02:40 PM
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:

Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
"Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
"Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
"Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
Inflicting punishment until a child is "without breath to complain."

Michael Pearl tells one mother on his website, "I could break his anger in two days. He would be too scared to get angry. On the third day he would draw into a quiet shell and obey."

How is this not harming a child, by any stretch of the imagination?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 18 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post