To train up a child

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
21-11-2013, 10:09 AM
RE: To train up a child
(21-11-2013 09:41 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just stop. This isn't about what you did with your children.
This is about you recommending a torture guide to people.

No, reading books by Dawkins--now that's torture.

That is one of your more idiotic non-responses and attempts at deflection.

Try again.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Wiggle, wiggle; worm. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2013, 10:40 AM
(21-11-2013 09:40 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You believe that a sin is a real thing, then? Is that what you're saying? That dogs and humans commit sins?

No. Not at all what I'm saying. I don't think sin is a real thing. I was using your terms to communicate with you.

My point is that you seem to think that dogs aren't capable of wrongdoing. That's simply not true. Dogs - like humans - are pack animals. Subject to the same social ranking we establish for ourselves. Dogs may not have "morals" in the way that we understand them but do have social cooperation.

Dogs within the pack that cause trouble or are unbalanced are either driven from the pack or collectively disciplined by the pack.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
21-11-2013, 10:45 AM
(21-11-2013 10:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:41 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  No, reading books by Dawkins--now that's torture.

That is one of your more idiotic non-responses and attempts at deflection.

Try again.

No, that was my attempt at humor. Although I do find Dawkins's writing torturous to wade through. I much prefer Hitchens. Now THERE was a great intellect.

200,000 (?) copies have been sold. The book gets passed to even more people as lending copies.

Certainly, I'm grieved to learn that six children have died. Certainly, I give the book out but not to psychos (as far as I know)! I'm sure we can both think of things that millions use safely and others abuse. It's amazing how helpful tools like paint, glue and cough medicine can be used as narcotics, right?

Where do you stand on free speech in general, hate speech and protected speech?
21-11-2013, 10:46 AM
(21-11-2013 10:40 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:40 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You believe that a sin is a real thing, then? Is that what you're saying? That dogs and humans commit sins?

No. Not at all what I'm saying. I don't think sin is a real thing. I was using your terms to communicate with you.

My point is that you seem to think that dogs aren't capable of wrongdoing. That's simply not true. Dogs - like humans - are pack animals. Subject to the same social ranking we establish for ourselves. Dogs may not have "morals" in the way that we understand them but do have social cooperation.

Dogs within the pack that cause trouble or are unbalanced are either driven from the pack or collectively disciplined by the pack.

We have a dog at home now. Of course they are guilty at times of wrongdoing. (The Bible says "all wrongdoing is sin" by the way.)

Dogs may be trained. Humans may be trained. Even infants and toddlers may be trained. Train a child in the way they should go.
21-11-2013, 10:53 AM
That's where we disagree. I think children should be raised. Not trained.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 5 users Like Cathym112's post
21-11-2013, 10:58 AM
(21-11-2013 10:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  That's where we disagree. I think children should be raised. Not trained.

To move to a higher position; elevate: raised the loads with a crane.
To increase in intensity, degree, strength, or pitch: raised his voice.
To improve in rank or dignity; promote: raised her to management level.

We can use raise, teach or train--they are synonyms. We are being proactive as opposed to reactive. How do you stop your children when they are misbehaving? I'm not judging you, I'm asking.

We tried to get the verbal assent first with "Look at mommy. Please stop now." and then there would be discipline. We're talking 95% of the time the verbal was plenty and no need to go to stage 2.

What is your go-to routine here? Thanks.
21-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Why the hell did you give a book that you don't support to others??
I'm not going to criticize your pparrenting method,becouse i do not have no children.

And you seriously need to work on yer communication skills. Because first,you said you suppport the book and used the methods. Then,you say the pearls take it too far.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
21-11-2013, 11:12 AM
PJ - you abuse children - you abuse babies. You use your god to excuse that behavior. Sadder than your treatment of your children is the fact that many others will turn a blind eye because it's claimed to be sanctioned by god.

Making you even worse is that you pass on this 'method' as well as the rationalization to others. Will you smile when you watch your children apply the same abuse to your grandchildren?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-11-2013, 11:12 AM
(21-11-2013 10:58 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 10:53 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  That's where we disagree. I think children should be raised. Not trained.

To move to a higher position; elevate: raised the loads with a crane.
To increase in intensity, degree, strength, or pitch: raised his voice.
To improve in rank or dignity; promote: raised her to management level.

We can use raise, teach or train--they are synonyms. We are being proactive as opposed to reactive. How do you stop your children when they are misbehaving? I'm not judging you, I'm asking.

We tried to get the verbal assent first with "Look at mommy. Please stop now." and then there would be discipline. We're talking 95% of the time the verbal was plenty and no need to go to stage 2.

What is your go-to routine here? Thanks.

I don't have children. Yet. I will be flexible with my parenting as to what works and what doesn't. I will lose my temper, I will make mistakes. I will treat my child as an individual and not as a mini-me. I will respect my child as a person, and I won't pretend to have all the answers because of what someone else told me (read: bible).

I will teach my children, above all, to think for themselves. To question, and NOT to obey simply because someone told them to. Not even mommy and daddy.

The best gift my parents gave me was to respect my inquisitive mind and explained to me why they were asking me to do something. "It's the rule" was never an answer. They explained why it was a rule. And even though they were religious, "because god said so" was never an acceptable answer to them either.

We aren't talking about me, though. We are talking about this horrendous book and you endorsement thereof. Stay on point please.

[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post