To train up a child

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-11-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: To train up a child
(19-11-2013 02:38 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's just sad. I can't believe people still listen to the pearls.

I listened, and took notes. They and I have obedient, believing, confident, secure, wise, intelligent, respectful, accomplished children.

The converse is true--many angry and vile people I've known were not disciplined as children just as the Bible predicts--the rod and reproof give wisdom both.

You use that shit on your kids?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-11-2013, 02:43 PM
(19-11-2013 02:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:

Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
"Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
"Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
"Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
Inflicting punishment until a child is "without breath to complain."

Michael Pearl tells one mother on his website, "I could break his anger in two days. He would be too scared to get angry. On the third day he would draw into a quiet shell and obey."

How is this not harming a child, by any stretch of the imagination?

I read the book twice, and if you want to know 1) what it says since these are not straight quotes you have above (going from memory) or 2) what it means in context, ask me.

My children show every evidence of having NOT been abused. I do pretty much everything the Pearls do and did, and my children are not abused.

You can choose to pick on me re: the book or actually ask someone who puts their principles to practice and find out some stuff. You choose.
19-11-2013, 02:44 PM
(19-11-2013 02:38 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  They and I have obedient, believing, confident, secure, wise, intelligent, respectful, accomplished children.

That believe in an invisible guy in the sky and fear being damned to hell.

(19-11-2013 02:38 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The converse is true--many angry and vile people I've known were not disciplined as children just as the Bible predicts--the rod and reproof give wisdom both.

Hmmm..maybe they wore clothes made of two different fabrics. Tsk Tsk.
19-11-2013, 02:50 PM
(19-11-2013 02:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [i]Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:

Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities

(19-11-2013 02:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  My children show every evidence of having NOT been abused. I do pretty much everything the Pearls do and did, and my children are not abused.

Is that because the plastic tubing didn't leave marks?
[+] 5 users Like jaguar3030's post
19-11-2013, 02:53 PM
(19-11-2013 02:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:

Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
"Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
"Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
"Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline

Michael Pearl tells one mother on his website, "I could break his anger in two days. He would be too scared to get angry. On the third day he would draw into a quiet shell and obey."

I read the book twice, and if you want to know 1) what it says since these are not straight quotes you have above (going from memory) or 2) what it means in context, ask me.

Does it say to beat them with a plastic tube, or not? Does it say to do what the blogger quoted, or not? Is the blogger misquoting the book?

Quote:My children show every evidence of having NOT been abused. I do pretty much everything the Pearls do and did, and my children are not abused.

If you beat them with a plastic pipe and withhold food from them and punish them when they have done nothing wrong in order to intimidate them into obedience and inflict punishment until they are "without breath to complain.", pal, then you are abusing them. I ask again: You do that shit to your kids?

Quote:You can choose to pick on me re: the book or actually ask someone who puts their principles to practice and find out some stuff. You choose.

How's that victimhood working for ya? Rolleyes

You don't dictate my choices.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-11-2013, 02:54 PM
(19-11-2013 02:43 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  My children show every evidence of having NOT been abused. I do pretty much everything the Pearls do and did, and my children are not abused.

What do define abuse as then? I would like to hear your definition.

Because some religions would say that female genital mutilation is not abuse.
19-11-2013, 02:55 PM
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

I have the book. I'm sorry when Debi Pearl wrote of hitting infants for crying so they learn self-control...

Once again, you fail to see the issue. This isn't about context...it's about advocating abuse.

Plain and simple abuse. In her other work, she wrote about staying with a husband, even if he abuses.

Finally...does this need saying?

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-11-2013, 02:56 PM
(19-11-2013 02:38 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 02:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's just sad. I can't believe people still listen to the pearls.

I listened, and took notes. They and I have obedient, believing, confident, secure, wise, intelligent, respectful, accomplished children.

The converse is true--many angry and vile people I've known were not disciplined as children just as the Bible predicts--the rod and reproof give wisdom both.

I guess defense of such magnitude all depends upon how deeply entrenched one is in such delusion.

Vyckie Garrison Wrote:I well remember paging through my copy of To Train Up A Child as a dreamy-eyed young mother desperately seeking the very best, most godly way to raise my children.
In his book, Michael Pearl suggests tempting a child with a bite of their favorite food ~ placing a morsel within the child’s reach ~ and when said child instinctively reaches out for the food ~ Switch their hand once and simultaneously say, ‘No.’ Repeat as many times as necessary until the child is trained not to automatically grab for whatever he or she wants ~ but rather, to automatically look to the parent for permission before reaching out to take the desired food.
Even in my Quiverfull-induced stupor ~ I recognized the cruelty of such parenting advice ~ to deliberately tempt your child and then smack them when they take the bait?!! I remember thinking, didn’t Jesus teach us to pray “lead us not into temptation”? If it’s not okay for our Heavenly Father to lead us into temptation ~ how can it be right for earthly parents to do this to their children? I did not bother to finish reading the book.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
19-11-2013, 02:56 PM
(19-11-2013 02:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Some of the discipline techniques the Pearls teach include:

My children show every evidence of having NOT been abused. I do pretty much everything the Pearls do and did, and my children are not abused.

You can choose to pick on me re: the book or actually ask someone who puts their principles to practice and find out some stuff. You choose.
I'm sure Larry and Carri Williams also thought they didn't abuse their child, they were just "training it up", you disgusting piece of shit.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
19-11-2013, 02:59 PM

This speaks volumes of your lack of character. There are other far greater effective ways of disciplining children without resorting to hitting them.

But that requires thought and parenting skills you obviously lack -- to rely on the easy hit em so they behave....

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post