To train up a child

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-11-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: To train up a child
Reading it now, PJ. I'm noting my thoughts on it too.

When I get done, I'll post. Might take a while, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 11:35 AM
(22-11-2013 11:19 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:41 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  If you hit anyone including a child, you've lost the argument. You do not need to argue with your child. You should NEVER, EVER hit them. You may however, spank them.

So you think there is a difference between hitting and spanking?

Lets look at the definition, shall we?

Hit (verb)

bring one's hand or a tool or weapon into contact with (someone or something) quickly and forcefully.
"the woman hit the mugger with her umbrella"
synonyms: strike, slap, smack, spank, cuff, punch, thump, swat; More
accidentally strike (part of one's body) against something, often causing injury.
"she fainted and hit her head on the metal bedstead"
(of a moving object or body) come into contact with (someone or something stationary) quickly and forcefully.
"a car hit the barrier"
synonyms: crash into, run into, smash into, smack into, knock into, bump into, plow into, collide with, meet head-on, impact More
informal
touch or press (part of a machine or other device) in order to work it.
"he picked up the phone and hit several buttons"
cause harm or distress to.
"the area has been badly hit by business closures"
make a strongly worded criticism or attack.
"he hit out at suppliers for hyping their products"
synonyms: retaliate, respond, reply, react, counter, defend oneself More
(of a disaster) occur in and cause damage to (an area) suddenly.
"the country was hit by a major earthquake"
informal
attack and rob or kill.
"if they're cops, maybe it's not a good idea to have them hit"
informal
be affected by (an unfortunate and unexpected circumstance or event).
"the opening of the town center hit a snag"
(of a missile or a person aiming one) strike (a target).
"the sniper fired and hit a third man"
informal
reach (a particular level, point, or figure).
"his career hit rock bottom"
synonyms: reach, touch, arrive at, rise to, climb to More
informal
arrive at or go to (a place).
"we hit a diner for coffee and doughnuts"
be suddenly and vividly realized by.
"it hit her that I wanted to settle down here"
synonyms: occur to, strike, dawn on, come to; More
informal
(of a piece of music, film, or play) be successful.
"actors are promised a pay increase if a show hits"
take effect.
"we sat waiting for the caffeine to hit"
informal
give (someone) a dose of a drug or an alcoholic drink.
informal
(of a product) become available and make an impact on.
"the latest board game to hit the market"
informal
used to express the idea that someone is taking up a pursuit or taking it seriously.
"more and more teenagers are hitting the books"
informal
ask someone for.
"she was waiting for the right moment to hit her mother for some cash"
propel (a ball) with a bat, racket, stick, etc., to score or attempt to score runs or points in a game.
score (runs or points) by hitting a ball with a bat, racket, or stick.
"he had hit 25 home runs"
BASEBALL
(of a batter) make a base hit.
noun
noun: hit; plural noun: hits
an instance of striking or being struck.
"few structures can withstand a hit from a speeding car"
synonyms: blow, thump, punch, knock, bang, cuff, slap, smack, spank, tap, crack, stroke, welt, karate chop; More
a verbal attack.
"he could not resist a hit at his friend's religiosity"
informal
a murder, typically one planned and carried out by a criminal organization.
BASEBALL
short for base hit.
an instance of striking the target aimed at.
"one of the bombers had scored a direct hit"

Spank (verb)

slap with one's open hand or a flat object, esp. on the buttocks as a punishment.
"she was spanked for spilling ink on the carpet"
synonyms: smack, slap, hit, cuff; More
noun
noun: spank; plural noun: spanks
a slap with one's open hand, esp. on the buttocks.

Our children were lightly struck or hit on their soft bottoms with a small piece of plastic. KC used a plastic spoon. Friends have used wooden spoons.

The word "hit" to me is evocative of punching with a fist. If we could use the word spank rather than hit or "beat", I'd personally appreciate your courtesy to me.

Thanks.
22-11-2013, 11:36 AM
[Image: 377424_10150981044700034_563875033_21621...;amp;h=422]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
22-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Stockholm syndrome anyone?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
22-11-2013, 11:39 AM
(22-11-2013 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  And if the child is the RING BEARER? Do we all wait and hold the ceremony, the catering at the reception--pay the band and emcee for overtime, and the honeymoon flight they have two tickets for, for 20 or 30 minutes so that the 300 adults participating can wait on the four-year-old throwing the tantrum?

I don't know if I've ever said this you before, Chas, but I'm sorry, you are 100% wrong in this case. I cannot see your point at all.

A ring bearer isn't necessary, you just carry on.

You can't see my point because you are a brainwashed barbarian.

But the rings are necessary in many cases--but yes, when we're done playing sematic games--let's just say this:

Not only should 300 people not wait for a brat, their two parents or one guardian or whomever should not wait.

They don't pay rent, they don't vote, they don't drink, they don't conscript in the military--and they don't take charge over every aspect of my life and time--and neither should your cat(s).

If I say to you "Grow up, Chas" I'm saying "be an adult" which means "not a child" which means "mature enough not to throw tantrums in public or private without consequences." A fellow threw one at work here this morning and was let go from his employment!

This may not apply to everyone on this forum but I'll share it--what you're calling "abuse" I call "Look, atheists don't want consequences meted for sin, not for themselves, and not for anyone's children."

Grow up, please!
22-11-2013, 11:42 AM
(22-11-2013 11:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  A ring bearer isn't necessary, you just carry on.

You can't see my point because you are a brainwashed barbarian.

But the rings are necessary in many cases--but yes, when we're done playing sematic games--let's just say this:

Not only should 300 people not wait for a brat, their two parents or one guardian or whomever should not wait.

They don't pay rent, they don't vote, they don't drink, they don't conscript in the military--and they don't take charge over every aspect of my life and time--and neither should your cat(s).

If I say to you "Grow up, Chas" I'm saying "be an adult" which means "not a child" which means "mature enough not to throw tantrums in public or private without consequences." A fellow threw one at work here this morning and was let go from his employment!

This may not apply to everyone on this forum but I'll share it--what you're calling "abuse" I call "Look, atheists don't want consequences meted for sin, not for themselves, and not for anyone's children."

Grow up, please!

No, you need to grow up. You are the remnant of humanity's moral childhood. Your ideas are bestial and unenlightened.

You don't own your children, you merely have the responsibility to teach them.
You have no right to bend them to your will.

You disgust me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
(22-11-2013 11:39 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  atheists don't want consequences meted for sin,

What does that mean ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Let's think about this like adults. Maybe I should appear via a group Skype or other conference so we can all talk like adults, and so I can show, physically and verbally, exactly how we spank (an action figure, not a live child).

I think the vast overreaction here is from people genuinely concerned about the welfare of children--Christian or atheist--and also a few mockers with nothing of importance to say.
22-11-2013, 11:44 AM
(22-11-2013 11:31 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Of course, it wasn't the brightest idea to bring a 4-week-old to a wedding, but you probably knew that!
It was a friend's wedding, it was important for us to try. We knew the baby might cry and we knew that meant we might miss some stuff.

But that was our expectations going in. We certainly weren't going to punish our baby for the situation that we put her in, we certainly weren't prepared to hit her in the likely event that she cried.

As parents you realise what is normal child behaviour and try and continue with life as "normally" as you can.
But expecting life to be normal and using violence against children for interrupting your life is unwarranted IMO. If you don't want your life to be interrupted by children then don't reproduce.
I'd rather be childless than a child beater.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
22-11-2013, 11:46 AM
(22-11-2013 10:42 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:32 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Here's some logic for you:
If 99% of a book is acceptable and only the other 1% advocates child abuse, the whole book becomes a complete stinking pile of atrocious dog poop and should not be recommended to anyone. It shouldn't even reach publication, but if it does then it should be banned.

The quotes are enough for me not to have to read the rest of the book or listen to what specific parts you disagree with.

Not even 1% of the book advocates, represents or is palatable with anything resembling child abuse.
You missed the whole point, didn't you...

Any amount of advocating child abuse renders the entire book horrific, I don't care if it's only 0.0000001%.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post