To train up a child

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-11-2013, 03:49 PM
RE: To train up a child
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

The people who WROTE the book are mentally off. One of the most horrifying disgusting books I have ever read!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
19-11-2013, 03:58 PM
My children are now a sophomore in high school and a junior in college. Still obedient (mostly), respectful and etc. There is so much I'd like to share but it continues to sound like a show trial here from 1930's Russia... "Did you do ANY of those things I'm quoting to you? If you did, you have no context and no reason, so you're guilty, guilty, guilty..."

On the other hand, I was recalling earlier today a fellow who approached me after years had gone by when I'd preached to him--he said "These years later, you were right about so many things regarding rearing children and about family outcomes and etc. You were right..."

I did have something I wanted to begin with, regarding training a child under the age of one year, but I'd sure like it if we can set some ground rules and see a little more respect for another's life experience than you've given so far--why not pretend I'm a fellow atheist for now--and then you can only occasionally curse or mock me rather than every time you post?

I'd like to talk about this subject precisely BECAUSE it's sensitive, but y'all need to get over your own issues a bit before we can go forward with mutual respect. I KNOW child rearing is sensitive, I hit these blocks often in public preaching--try to act with mentality, not mob mentality, how about it, folks?
19-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Get over your own issues...fuck you. I wouldn't have those issues were it not for the abuse suffered for a supposedly righteous reason.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-11-2013, 04:01 PM
(19-11-2013 02:26 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I read the Pearl book. There's no way it can be taken to mean in any context to abuse children unto death. The people who harmed their child are mentally off somehow.

Really ? 3 sets of parents have managed to kill their kid after following this senseless violent shit. So you're OK with beating a kid - a practice that is advocated in the book (according to the review, fucked if I'm gonna read it. Since you have, perhaps you can confirm or deny that this is in fact what the book says) ?

You're so full of shit I'm surprised you can even type. These fuckers, friend PJ, are what give Christianity a bad name. If you could bring yourself to condemn them you might salvage some remnant of respectability and maybe, just maybe, people might at least say things like "well, I hate religion in general but ol' PJ really does it like I imagine Jesus would have wanted, he's a wonderful guy".

But your head's so far up your shit-pipe, as soon as anyone anywhere attaches the label *Christian* to their vileness, you feel compelled to defend it. It's pretty fuckin' disgusting to watch.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
19-11-2013, 04:05 PM
(19-11-2013 03:42 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some excerpts:

On p.55 the Pearls say a mother should hit her child if he cries for her:

If a father is attempting to make a child eat his oats, and the child cries for his mother, then the mother should respond by spanking him for whining for her and for not eating his oats. He will then be glad to be dealing only with the father.

On pulling the hair of a breastfeeding baby (p.7).

“One particularly painful experience of nursing mothers is the biting baby. My wife did not waste time finding a cure. When the baby bit, she pulled hair (an alternative has to be sought for bald-headed babies).”

Dozens of more quotes out there. Horrible.

This makes me cry. Nursing your baby is supposed to be a beautiful bonding experience for mother and baby. Not torturing your baby while she's trying to eat.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
19-11-2013, 04:14 PM
(19-11-2013 03:58 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  My children are now a sophomore in high school and a junior in college.

So what? That doesn't change anything about the abuse you heaped on them.

Quote: Still obedient (MOSTLY), respectful and etc.

MOSTLY???? Wasn't obedience the whole point of the abuse you heaped on them?

Quote:There is so much I'd like to share but it continues to sound like a show trial here from 1930's Russia... "Did you do ANY of those things I'm quoting to you? If you did, you have no context and no reason, so you're guilty, guilty, guilty..."

You ALREADY ADMITTED that you did pretty much ALL of the things quoted. You can't stuff the shit back in the goose, idiot.

Quote:On the other hand, I was recalling earlier today a fellow who approached me after years had gone by when I'd preached to him--he said "These years later, you were right about so many things regarding rearing children and about family outcomes and etc. You were right..."

Oh, for crying out loud, and you infect others with your abusing ways. Great.

Quote:I did have something I wanted to begin with, regarding training a child under the age of one year, but I'd sure like it if we can set some ground rules and see a little more respect for another's life experience than you've given so far--why not pretend I'm a fellow atheist for now--and then you can only occasionally curse or mock me rather than every time you post?

You abuse a kid and you don't get ANY respect, pal.

Quote:I'd like to talk about this subject precisely BECAUSE it's sensitive, but y'all need to get over your own issues a bit before we can go forward with mutual respect.

Gaslight much? -- and yes, gaslighting is an identified pattern of abusive behavior.

Outrage over child abuse isn't "our own issues". Respect is EARNED, and I've already seen your little prayer you say before you post here, and how disrespectfully you think of atheists. Cat's out of the bag.

Quote:I KNOW child rearing is sensitive, I hit these blocks often in public preaching--try to act with mentality, not mob mentality, how about it, folks?
Bullshit. You getting soundly reproached by all for abusing your children isn't "mob mentality". It's you gaslighting again.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
19-11-2013, 04:20 PM
(19-11-2013 03:58 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  My children are now a sophomore in high school and a junior in college. Still obedient (mostly), respectful and etc. There is so much I'd like to share but it continues to sound like a show trial here from 1930's Russia... "Did you do ANY of those things I'm quoting to you? If you did, you have no context and no reason, so you're guilty, guilty, guilty..."

On the other hand, I was recalling earlier today a fellow who approached me after years had gone by when I'd preached to him--he said "These years later, you were right about so many things regarding rearing children and about family outcomes and etc. You were right..."

I did have something I wanted to begin with, regarding training a child under the age of one year, but I'd sure like it if we can set some ground rules and see a little more respect for another's life experience than you've given so far--why not pretend I'm a fellow atheist for now--and then you can only occasionally curse or mock me rather than every time you post?

I'd like to talk about this subject precisely BECAUSE it's sensitive, but y'all need to get over your own issues a bit before we can go forward with mutual respect. I KNOW child rearing is sensitive, I hit these blocks often in public preaching--try to act with mentality, not mob mentality, how about it, folks?

I'm sorry, it's not mob mentality. I am a living result of people who practiced beliefs like those of the Pearls. Not only did my dad believe in a lot of the same parenting techniques that the Pearls suggest, but my mother and my ex-husband believed in the same sort of marriage advice that they give. I am living proof that these techniques can be very harmful. I have been in counseling for over 18 months now. I still flinch when people raise their hands near me. I still automatically do things people tell me to. I know that seems like it's not a big deal, but it is. I have a really hard time thinking things through and remembering that I have a right to make my own decisions. So, yea, I have a really hard time having respect for anyone who thinks this shit is ok. The Pearls think you should break the will of your child. You know why I think that is disgusting? 1)I have been through it. 2) I look at my beautiful babies and my heart breaks at the thought of ever hurting them or breaking their will. Children are people too, just like the rest of us. The only difference is that they're smaller and need grown ups to step up and protect them. How can you defend this? How can you possibly think it's okay to hurt a small defenseless child? You have no right to be offended by the reactions after saying you do ALL the things the Pearls did. If you want to go back and try to explain what you actually did and how it could possibly not be abuse then go ahead.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
19-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I think PJ is trolling... for the nth time. Just posting bullshit for reactions. Fuck you're a funny guy PJ. You could have a life you know, you *could* do cool shit, but there you sit, tapping away at your keyboard, contributing zero to the sum of human knowledge, turning serious discussions into posts all about you. Narcissistic fuck.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-11-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 05:33 PM by DLJ.)
(19-11-2013 03:42 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some excerpts:
On pulling the hair of a breastfeeding baby (p.7).

“One particularly painful experience of nursing mothers is the biting baby. My wife did not waste time finding a cure. When the baby bit, she pulled hair (an alternative has to be sought for bald-headed babies).”

Pavlov FTW!

(19-11-2013 03:58 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
There is so much I'd like to share but it continues to sound like a show trial here from 1930's Russia

Yup, I can sympathise.
Coming late to this thread (and reading all responses), many comments did give that impression.

Thing is, no one feels the need to ask you, I suspect, because we know (or think we know) what you are going to say...
"There are good bits and bad bits."

Cherry-picking.

A bit like the bible.

From the link, I went to an article (turned out to be an ad.) about investing 'the biblical way'.
I won't provide a link because it was not worth listening to (except I did listen... to a long snake-oil vid).
Apparently, if you combine these three sets of wisdom:
Paul said "the love of money blah blah"
Solomon expounded "Look into your investments"
Jesus told the parable of the talents...
... you get what we would nowadays refer to as Risk Optiisation.

In other words, the devout author was targeting the sheeple to sell his investment books and magazines by cherry-picking from a 'trusted source' that is really 99% shit.

I'm seriously tempted to rewrite all the stuff I teach (modern day best practices) adding bible references and then marketing it as some biblical hidden code.

And then laugh all the way to the bank (except I do not have a love of money, so I won't).

Yeah and so what if some of my students misinterpret the bit about using penalties and incentives to influence behaviour and end up with a prison sentence?

Not my fault if they cherry-pick the wrong bit.

No

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
19-11-2013, 06:34 PM
(19-11-2013 03:49 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

The people who WROTE the book are mentally off. One of the most horrifying disgusting books I have ever read!!

You actually read it? Like, you bought it, further supporting these despots?

I refuse to buy the book.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson