To what extent do we get offended by secular holiday stuff?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: To what extent do we get offended by secular holiday stuff?
(22-11-2015 12:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 12:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I guess I fail to see why anyone would be offended by a holiday. Drinking Beverage

[Image: is?lDv6BhewMa5QODpLlGH6zjgpar-7sSHOwzFvc...height=225]

I'm offended by your blatant objectificationalism of those hotties.

Angel

And racial discrimination

[Image: 8-sexy-asian-babes-santa-christmas.jpg]

How was I objectifying these young ladies by displaying a picture of them looking festive? It seems much more objectifying to focus you attention on a specific race. Gasp

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 02:22 PM
(22-11-2015 01:24 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I don't want this topic to be too heavy, but I'd love to hear what you all think.

Each year during the Thanksgiving break (er..."Fall break"), we put up a Christmas tree (er..."Holiday tree") in the student center at my school. There is nothing religious up at all. It's just a huge fake tree with glass ornaments and stuff.

I was speaking to some other people on campus. They both said that there should be no holiday decorations at all in the student center, unless we want to decorate and celebrate for every holiday of every religion. They kept going back to the fact that these decorations were for Christmas.

Thing is, my family was not religious at all, and we still had these decorations in our house. They were just a fun way to celebrate the season. Once we realized there was no Santa, Christmas didn't mean much to anyone anymore - just the day mom makes the driest turkey you'll ever eat, and we have to pretend to enjoy it (and then sneak off to Burger King once she is asleep!)

The thing with the decorations...I get it. I really understand how some people could find a fake tree religious, and could be offended. However, we also did lots of decorations for Halloween, which has religious roots. We also do a HUGE thing for Dia de los Muertos, which is basically a very Mexican way of celebrating a traditional Catholic feast day.

The people who are up in arms about this are religious, themselves. I want to make that distinction.

I worry about how loud these two are about the decorations this year. We'll be putting them up this week. I don't want the wider campus to get the idea that people on the liberal side of things (and atheists, because Christmas trees melt our skin) are trying to ruin everyone's fun.

I may also just be seeing things differently - a large part of my extended family were from the USSR, where seasonal trees were put up as part of celebrating the new year.

I just don't get it. Do you find this offensive? Should they be taken down? We are a public university, after all.
Are they also objecting to getting a break from classes?
22-11-2015, 03:30 PM
(22-11-2015 08:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Imo, religious symbols don't belong in public places. That said, a decorated tree is just a decorated tree. If it had crosses all over it, that would be different.

That's exactly what I'm saying. As it was said earlier in the thread, maybe I'm only seeing things they way I am because we celebrated Christmas without any religious meaning at all, so the people who did can't help but connect the two.
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
22-11-2015, 04:48 PM
(22-11-2015 12:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I guess I fail to see why anyone would be offended by a holiday. Drinking Beverage

You've offended my delicate homosexual sensibilities.
22-11-2015, 04:49 PM
To the extent I get pissed off that I gotta pay for all this useless shit.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-11-2015, 05:01 PM
I decorate sometimes, and don't get bothered by any decos outside or religious displays on public land.
22-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't say I'm offended. But I haven't been a huge Christmas fan even when I was a Christian. I just get tired of seeing all the "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" things when Jeebus obviously isn't.
22-11-2015, 06:09 PM
I love the period of time from the end of the summer until new year's eve. I love the change of weather, the leaves coming down, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and when everything gets all decorated for Christmas. One of my favorite things to do in December is head into NYC and walk around and look at the tree and how the city looks all done up for Christmas.

In the neighborhood where I live, everyone puts out luminaries in front of their house. For those who don't know what it is, it's basically a candle in a wax bag. We usually drive around on Christmas Eve to see how the neighborhood looks. We call it "Santa's Runway" because of all the lights on the side of the road. It's simply beautiful. Those are all the things that make this time of year special, at least to me. I'm not the least bit offended by any of it.

What does piss me off, however, is when I have to endure Christians who get pissed off when everyone else wants the same level of privilege they get. The school my wife works at one year put up a "holiday tree" and nothing else. The school has Jewish and Muslim teachers and students and they all felt they should be represented as well. When he was confronted about it, the asshat tried to argue the "holiday tree" wasn't a Christmas Tree and was all inclusive. My wife is not an employee so didn't say anything, but some of the Jewish teachers asked if it was ok to put up a "holiday Menorah" or "holiday Crescent Moon" instead. He said those were clearly identified with religion where as the tree was generic. Uh huh. It's a pretty bullshit argument.

So, I'm not the least bit offended by the decorations. I love them. What I don't love is the sanctimonious white privilege of assholes who have had their way exclusively for a 100 or so years and now cry victim when everyone else says government and public space needs to cater to the minority as well as the majority.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-11-2015, 07:06 PM
To what extent do we get offended by secular holiday stuff?
(22-11-2015 04:48 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  

You've offended my delicate homosexual sensibilities.

I didn't know homosexuals had delicate sensibilities. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-11-2015, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 01:07 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(22-11-2015 01:24 AM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  I just don't get it. Do you find this offensive? Should they be taken down? We are a public university, after all.

No, because it's a mistake to assume that the symbols associated with Christmas in modern western society carry religious meaning for the broader population anymore. The Christmas Tree, mistletoe, yule Logs, and ornaments have no basis in Christian theology and were co-opted from pagan rituals. The secularization of western society has transformed Christmas into a commercialized holiday and detached it from its underlying tangled mess of a framework of pagan symbols cannibalized by Christianity and remolded it into a celebration of Jesus's birth (by retelling an account that isn't even congruent with the Bible, mind you). Now it's a celebration of consumerism first and foremost.

This is also the primary reason why those Christians crying foul of a "War on Christmas" are so misguided: if there was ever a war on Christmas, Christians lost long ago. The broader population is celebrating a different holiday than the evangelicals are since Christianity no longer holds the monolithic iron grip on American culture it once had (albeit their influence is still strongly permeating the framework).

So no, I don't think it would be necessary to remove the Christmas tree or any associated ornaments because none of that is actually paying lip service to Christians (despite what Christians might think). If they were displaying nativity scenes in the campus center, then a greater argument could be made in favor of removal or accommodation of other religious symbols.

[Image: giphy.gif]