To what extent do we get offended by secular holiday stuff?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2015, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2015 12:54 PM by Black Eagle.)
RE: To what extent do we get offended by secular holiday stuff?
I love Christmas trees and Christmas decorations. We have a fake tree and it's huge. We hang stockings with pictures of Santa Claus over the fireplace and we spend thousands of dollars on Christmas gifts. I certainly don't get offended by secular Christmas stuff and I don't even get offended by religious Christmas stuff. I enjoy it all.

By the way, sometimes I even say a prayer to the god that nobody in my family believes in before the Christmas dinner. The prayer is always the same and it goes, "God, give us guns and horses." [I learned it from my Russian daughter in law.]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2015, 01:17 PM
There's nothing more offensive than a dry, bland turkey.

You NEED these:

[Image: meat1.jpg]
[Image: meat_thermometer.jpg]
[Image: k2-_761400b8-2d76-48f3-8899-fe3c1258868f.v1.jpg]

Infrared propane cookers are the best way.
25-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Out here in the west, we deep fry "nuts" in those things. Nuts, a/k/a Rocky Mountain oysters, or bull testicles.
25-11-2015, 01:48 PM
I think there are differences between religious holiday and cultural tradition.

Christmas is a cultural tradition, and even if Christians try to steal it, none of their claims stick. It has nothing to do with Christianity. The most notable symbols that go along with Christmas (Tree, branches, logs, stars, mistletoe, tinsel, ornaments, presents) have nothing to do with Christianity.

As such, a public university should feel free to decorate according to a cultural festival/tradition as long as they aren't explicitly putting up nativity scenes, crosses, or other religious symbols (which have nothing to do with Christmas)..

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-11-2015, 02:42 PM
(25-11-2015 01:32 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Out here in the west, we deep fry "nuts" in those things. Nuts, a/k/a Rocky Mountain oysters, or bull testicles.

You deep fry stuff in an infrared cooker that's full of holes and wouldn't hold oil well at all?
17-12-2015, 07:31 PM
(22-11-2015 06:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  One of my favorite things to do in December is head into NYC and walk around and look at the tree and how the city looks all done up for Christmas.

So, was in the NY office yesterday for the last time this year. I met some friends for drinks and cut through Rockefeller Center to see the tree.

[Image: 1216151718a_zpsfolqan12.jpg]

You'd have to be scrooge to not enjoy that.

The one down side - you see all those people? Not a damn one of them would get out of my way. Stupid freaking tourists. Go home.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost