To whom do you keep returning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 02:33 AM
RE: To whom do you keep returning?
I can't get away from Anthony Burgess - even though I don't like everything of his I've read so far. He's just too near perfect as a writer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 08:24 AM
I'll read anything that the popular atheists/scientists put out. But I consistently return to Poe and Lovecraft. That shit never gets old.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
26-02-2014, 08:31 AM
John le Carrè for me Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
26-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I know this might come as a shock.

Tolkien.

Oh. and Juliet Marillier.
26-02-2014, 02:32 PM
There's a great new series in the UK called The Chronicles Of Hope. Read the first book '2082' and just finished reading the second one '2083'. It's about an atheist revolutionary politician, highly original concept and highly original characters. It's being pushed by dawkins and is creating a bit of a fuss, website here: http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com
26-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Many years ago I read The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. Over the years I've read it many times, and will again. I still get totally engrossed in the book no matter how many times I read it.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
26-02-2014, 11:21 PM
(26-02-2014 02:32 PM)DavidQuinn Wrote:  There's a great new series in the UK called The Chronicles Of Hope. Read the first book '2082' and just finished reading the second one '2083'. It's about an atheist revolutionary politician, highly original concept and highly original characters. It's being pushed by dawkins and is creating a bit of a fuss, website here: http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com

Read the OP please. This is not about great new series. It's about books that are so good that you keep returning to them. Using it as a place for advertisement hacks me off rather badly, don't know about other people.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-02-2014, 01:00 AM
(21-02-2014 10:38 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 08:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Douglas Adams

Don't forget to miss!

Somewhere, in one of these fucking boxes, I hope to hell I still have the hardcopy edition of the Hitchhiker's Guide I bought long, long ago, that was bound *upside down*. You open up the book right-side-up, and you are looking at the last page, upside down.

How fitting, especially for THAT book...

Damn, now imagonna have to go tearin' through boxes again.....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-03-2014, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 09:04 AM by Vera.)
Mom, so did I... until some time ago. (My favourite was Persuasion, though). Read them for the first time in high school (in English), still remember the copies they had in the school library - tiny and very old, with that sweet, old-book smell. Haven't gone back to them in a while, though.

(22-02-2014 12:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  Jared Diamond...

Is Jared Diamond racist?

(Haven't read him, so no opinion. Just sharing. That's what I do Shy )

Quote:I used to reread Tolkien a lot but recently not so much.

Never figured you for a Tolkien fan ;-) I used to read him a LOT (have a course paper on him as well as my thesis paper, of which I am kinda ashamed, at least bits of it, as I was still religious, or rather, in the process of losing my religion and thus - more open and aggressive about it, than I usually was as a religionist. Haven't been able to reread him since, strangely enough...

Of all the ones I used to go back to, I think Astrid Lindgren is the one I still go back to regularly to this day (am actually rereading her right now). Why? Because it's Astrid Lindgren, that's why.

Want to say Max Frisch, because Stiller in particular feels (or felt) as if it were written by me, but I don't go back to him as often as I used to.

(And the audio books of Wodehouse read by Jonathan Cecil - am always listening to them when I'm getting ready to go to bed, even though I've listened to them all quite a few times. Still make me laugh. Jonathan Cecil does an awesome job and I love Wodehouse's turn of phrase. I'm a sucker for words, I guess Rolleyes )

EDIT: And by "aggressive" I mean saying stuff about life in the 20th century being meaningless (without a sky daddy - though I never did put the second part in words). So, more stupid than aggressive, I guess...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Oh, forgot, Tom Holland is another favourite. Reread him any day.

Vera, JD... I dunno. The article you linked to seemed more like a diatribe than anything else. Bloody academics. I've met enough of them that I'm not gonna take some prof's nose being out of joint as anything to worry about. The only book I've read of his is "Guns, Germs and Steel" and I found it incredibly interesting, and did not pick up any racist overtones. Also the comments section of the article you linked to has a lot of stuff along the same lines... Angel

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.