Today I started asking questions...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2015, 12:08 PM
RE: Today I started asking questions...
(13-07-2015 12:03 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Keeping the social connections light will definitely work in your favor, I can say from personal experience with my family and friends that are religious, that they got tired of church and would quit going only to get back into it later.

I found this quite common, attending church is really a pain in the ass, you might have success in highlighting how boring it is and how you'd rather be doing other things on Sunday.

I look at it like this: if i'm not playing in the band it's 1 hour of 168 hours in my week that I'm there. I can deal with that for a while. When I do play, it's about 3-4 hours of practice time plus 5 services on saturday / sunday. That's more like 15 hours a week. Eh. That seems a little more time consuming for "nothing" but my focus is on playing music. I connect to the music not the message.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
13-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Quote: They will probably refer you to a book such as Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions by Ken Ham, or will give you similar types of reasoning.

If he so much as mentions Ken Ham, punch him in the fucking mouth and walk out the door.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
13-07-2015, 02:15 PM
(13-07-2015 12:08 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 12:03 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Keeping the social connections light will definitely work in your favor, I can say from personal experience with my family and friends that are religious, that they got tired of church and would quit going only to get back into it later.

I found this quite common, attending church is really a pain in the ass, you might have success in highlighting how boring it is and how you'd rather be doing other things on Sunday.

I look at it like this: if i'm not playing in the band it's 1 hour of 168 hours in my week that I'm there. I can deal with that for a while. When I do play, it's about 3-4 hours of practice time plus 5 services on saturday / sunday. That's more like 15 hours a week. Eh. That seems a little more time consuming for "nothing" but my focus is on playing music. I connect to the music not the message.

Is it a paid gig, and would losing it make your budget a lot tighter? I play in churches some, but not regularly, so it isn't a big deal for me to keep my irreligious views tamped down. Do you have other places to play music than the church band?
13-07-2015, 03:02 PM
(13-07-2015 02:15 PM)julep Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 12:08 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I look at it like this: if i'm not playing in the band it's 1 hour of 168 hours in my week that I'm there. I can deal with that for a while. When I do play, it's about 3-4 hours of practice time plus 5 services on saturday / sunday. That's more like 15 hours a week. Eh. That seems a little more time consuming for "nothing" but my focus is on playing music. I connect to the music not the message.

Is it a paid gig, and would losing it make your budget a lot tighter? I play in churches some, but not regularly, so it isn't a big deal for me to keep my irreligious views tamped down. Do you have other places to play music than the church band?

At this church it's volunteer work only, for the glory of god, hallelujah! I used to be paid as a part time worship director for another church but left about 5 years ago because the pastor kept having affairs and just last year he and his son were arrested on six felony charges of sexual misconduct with his adopted daughter. Fuck that shit. Anyway, to answer your question I could probably join a small band or something and do gigs around town. Fortunately for me money isn't an issue here, only being able to express myself musically. Smile

**Crickets** -- God
13-07-2015, 04:23 PM
I find it amusing how similar our paths have been? I remember writing a letter to my pastor a few years ago to start the conversation questioning it. I have now realized that they don't care. They will literally just shut down and stop talking to you.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" -Upton Sinclair.

I will tell you however though to be careful with your children. When my daughter said "Dad, isn't it scary that people who don't accept Jesus and believe in God go to hell forever." Was the moment I realized it's important to be proactive. I used to think that it was ok to take them to church, but when I realized she was actually scared for me, I had enough and became an atheist activist. She now realized how crazy the pastor is, however I encourage my children to study everything on their own and go to church if they want to.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 6 users Like microterf's post
13-07-2015, 05:06 PM
(13-07-2015 04:23 PM)microterf Wrote:  I find it amusing how similar our paths have been? I remember writing a letter to my pastor a few years ago to start the conversation questioning it. I have now realized that they don't care. They will literally just shut down and stop talking to you.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" -Upton Sinclair.

I will tell you however though to be careful with your children. When my daughter said "Dad, isn't it scary that people who don't accept Jesus and believe in God go to hell forever." Was the moment I realized it's important to be proactive. I used to think that it was ok to take them to church, but when I realized she was actually scared for me, I had enough and became an atheist activist. She now realized how crazy the pastor is, however I encourage my children to study everything on their own and go to church if they want to.

Hi TC.

I agree with my microterf. Please consider your kids. If you have the time read this

http://www.markfulton.org/churches-and-children/

And this

http://www.markfulton.org/the-psychologi...istianity/

Yes, these posts have been written by an opinionated git, yet they may contain some kernels of truth.

Christianity is dying. In the future, your kids will be happier and healthier if they haven't had their heads filled with nonsense. They will also respect you more for being real and true to yourself, as well as having their true interests at heart.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-07-2015, 05:19 PM
(13-07-2015 04:23 PM)microterf Wrote:  I find it amusing how similar our paths have been? I remember writing a letter to my pastor a few years ago to start the conversation questioning it. I have now realized that they don't care. They will literally just shut down and stop talking to you.

"I have now realized that they don't care. They will literally just shut down and stop talking to you."

This is so true. Allow me an analogy. If you went to a board meeting of the McDonald's Corporation and presented evidence that the chemicals in the hamburgers were toxic, do you imagine that would bother them or make a difference? Of course not. They would still make the same burgers in the cheapest way possible, provided they could get away with it. McDonald's is a corporation and they are in business to make money. Churches are no different. At the end of the day it all boils down to power and money. If there was no money to be made in churches all the buildings would shut down and all the singing, handclapping and the indoctrination of children would stop.

Christianity, in all its various shapes and sizes, is all about power and money. That was after all, why it was invented all those years ago.

As the world slowly but surely gets better educated this will become common knowledge.
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks Mark, I'll take a look at these posts in the morning.

**Crickets** -- God
15-07-2015, 02:32 AM
(13-07-2015 09:18 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Thanks Mark, I'll take a look at these posts in the morning.

Mate (an Australian term of endearment), I just want you to know I think you are a great guy. I was worried you might think I was patronising you. I'm just sharing ideas. You do whatever you think best.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
15-07-2015, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 03:24 AM by Tonechaser77.)
No sir, I don't feel patronized at all. I appreciate different perspectives from others. I am an extremely analytical person who has experienced an exponential amount of growth in knowledge over the the past few years. (And the more I learn, the less I know, how ironic.) Because of this I have and continue to survey the consequential landscape of every single decision that I make in this area. My wife and kids are of utmost importance to me so I take very seriously the implications of indoctrination. However, I must tread very carefully as i traverse this new horizon on coming out with my current views.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post