Today In History.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-01-2018, 10:21 AM
RE: Today In History.
(16-01-2018 10:12 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 10:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Is you not aware that I have a Masters in History? Drinking Beverage

Having one myself I don't find this attempt at playing authority particularly convincing. Drinking Beverage
Just separating myself from the great unwashed. And blowing off the snobbish in the process. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2018, 10:23 AM
(16-01-2018 10:21 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 10:12 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Having one myself I don't find this attempt at playing authority particularly convincing. Drinking Beverage
Just separating myself from the great unwashed. And blowing off the snobbish in the process. Drinking Beverage

That's nice. Drinking Beverage

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Today in history ...

2 guys have a pissing contest.

Apparently, this could be any fucking day in history. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-01-2018, 12:10 PM
During the French Revolution of 1793, it was a cold 16th of January for French King Louis XVI. The National Convention sentenced him to death.
That had to suck. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-01-2018, 12:35 PM
(16-01-2018 12:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Today in history ...

2 guys have a pissing contest.

Apparently, this could be any fucking day in history. Dodgy
Now we only need one more and we can play bridge.
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
16-01-2018, 01:24 PM
January 16,1919
Prohibition takes effect.
The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes,” is ratified on this day in 1919 and becomes the law of the land.

And thus the Speakeasy is born. Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-01-2018, 02:51 PM
(16-01-2018 01:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  January 16,1919
Prohibition takes effect.
The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes,” is ratified on this day in 1919 and becomes the law of the land.

And thus the Speakeasy is born. Smile
The Prohibitionists had been having varying luck getting booze outlawed. One of the quirky things to come of this was a line in an employment contract stating that the prospective employee would not frequence "ice cream parlors". That was a code phrase for unlicensed bars. It actually worked out somewhat well. The kids stayed up front, the adults disappeared into the back.
16-01-2018, 04:40 PM
(16-01-2018 02:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The Prohibitionists had been having varying luck getting booze outlawed. One of the quirky things to come of this was a line in an employment contract stating that the prospective employee would not frequence "ice cream parlors". That was a code phrase for unlicensed bars. It actually worked out somewhat well. The kids stayed up front, the adults disappeared into the back.

I never heard of that. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-01-2018, 04:55 PM
(16-01-2018 04:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 02:51 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The Prohibitionists had been having varying luck getting booze outlawed. One of the quirky things to come of this was a line in an employment contract stating that the prospective employee would not frequence "ice cream parlors". That was a code phrase for unlicensed bars. It actually worked out somewhat well. The kids stayed up front, the adults disappeared into the back.

I never heard of that. Thumbsup
Applications for teacher jobs often had "does not frequent ice cream parlors" in the list of upright morals the successful applicant must show. I saw one that said "does not keep the company of men without proper chaperonage."
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
16-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Thirty-seven years ago today, Apple Inc. went public, raising a little over $100 million by selling its stock for $22 a share (40 cents on a split-adjusted basis).

Today that same share is valued at $176.

$176/0.40 = 440x initial price, a 17.88% compounded annual growth over that time frame. Drooling

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post