Today is a Good Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Today is a Good Day
For the last two or three months, I have had to walk by quite a sight every morning (and some afternoons!).

Anti-abortion protestors.

A flock of old people (clearly with nothing else to do during the day), walking up and down the street in front of the hospital (a hospital which only provides first-trimester abortions at that). Of course, the damn (expensively printed) placards are illustrated with pretty little week-30 fetuses, as opposed to the lumpy little fish-monsters that week-10s actually look like. That and the usual religous drivel - give life, let them know God, whatever.

They clearly aren't totally committed, at that, since they're only out there in decent weather. They took a five month break over the winter...

So anyway. These shits are right along the route I have to take to get from my apartment to the university campus for the day. It seriously ruins my vibe each time (especially when idiots driving past honk for them). So much for living in a progressive country. One of the downsides to living up here in the closest thing this province has to hick country.

BUT! What makes today a good day, you may ask?

Those fuckers are gone! No sign of them. And I had my finest commute in months.

Blink

Smile

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
21-06-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Today is a Good Day
Maybe they were raptured. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
21-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Re: Today is a Good Day
Perhaps someone realized their mistake and expelled them from the human condition?

Aka, aborted them from reality?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
21-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Good they should be run off into the sea.

Ugh this issue drives me mad. It's the forest for the trees. We get so wrapped up in Fundee garbage and the (well warranted) backlash from the women's rights angle that we all forget about all the socio-economic issues that would convince any sane person that women need the right to choose...

Who would enforce restrictions on abortion, determine the legal status of say a rape victim, etc (this is why these tea baggers want to outlaw it outright)? Our backlogged courts are supposed to make these decisions? How would they settle these cases in time? What about the police and penal costs of such a prohibition? Who would pay for it all but the already strapped American people?

What abou the public health crisis that would ensue from unregulated back-ally coat hanger abortions? The healthcare costs of birthing all those unwanted kids?

What about all the people locked in poverty who simply don't make enough to raise unwanted children to be well adjusted adults? What about the vicious cycle of poverty, crime and single motherhood which this creates?

What about our ailing planet, our food and water supply?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
21-06-2013, 10:34 AM
(21-06-2013 10:26 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Good they should be run off into the sea.

Ugh this issue drives me mad. It's the forest for the trees. We get so wrapped up in Fundee garbage and the (well warranted) backlash from the women's rights angle that we all forget about all the socio-economic issues that would convince any sane person that women need the right to choose...

Who would enforce restrictions on abortion, determine the legal status of say a rape victim, etc (this is why these tea baggers want to outlaw it outright)? Our backlogged courts are supposed to make these decisions? How would they settle these cases in time? What about the police and penal costs of such a prohibition? Who would pay for it all but the already strapped American people?

What abou the public health crisis that would ensue from unregulated back-ally coat hanger abortions? The healthcare costs of birthing all those unwanted kids?

What about all the people locked in poverty who simply don't make enough to raise unwanted children to be well adjusted adults? What about the vicious cycle of poverty, crime and single motherhood which this creates?

What about our ailing planet, our food and water supply?

No sea anywhere nearby, but there are a hell of a lot of lakes.

But the Bible clearly says that abortion is evil and that capital punishment is A-OK. It's right there in the original 16th century English. How can anyone argue with that?
21-06-2013, 10:44 AM
(21-06-2013 10:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  No sea anywhere nearby, but there are a hell of a lot of lakes.

But the Bible clearly says that abortion is evil and that capital punishment is A-OK. It's right there in the original 16th century English. How can anyone argue with that?

As long as they are deep enough...I got caught on a lake during a storm in a kayak towing a raft with all of our camping gear once and narrowly obverted disaster...I'm convinced that a good lake could do the job.

I know right..."Ohh look at that they cut the cord, I guess that means you are on your own from here out. See ya on the chain gang!"

Seriously I'm convinced that the right's reasons for being so anti-abortion have little to do with 'the sanctity of life' and rather are supported because unwanted births feed the prison industrial complex, create warm bodies for fighting foreign wars, make huge profits for healthcare, and keep the black man down.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
21-06-2013, 10:48 AM
maybe one of the fundie's honking the car horn accidentally ran them all over. One can only hope.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
21-06-2013, 10:59 AM
(21-06-2013 10:44 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I know right..."Ohh look at that they cut the cord, I guess that means you are on your own from here out. See ya on the chain gang!"

Well yeah.

I mean obviously abortion is utterly evil and an affront to the sanctity of life.

That's why providing public obstetric and pediatric (especially neonatal) services is a Godless communist plot.

All I can say in their favour is that at least the 'pro-lifers' up here probably still support public healthcare (though, maybe not for anyone they don't like the look of).

(21-06-2013 10:48 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  maybe one of the fundie's honking the car horn accidentally ran them all over. One can only hope.

Well, they deserve to be run down by an ambulance carrying a woman suffering from complications due to a back-alley late term abortion. But alas, real life is rarely that apt.
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Welp, it's been one week.

NO turd-filled protesters.

All is well.
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post