Today is the beginning of Lent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Today is the beginning of Lent
If you see people walking around with smudges on their foreheads, that's why.

[Image: biden%20ash%20wednesday.jpg]
^-- Yup, that's US VP Joe Biden observing his catholic faith by appearing to have not bathed. (From '09)

People's lists of abstentions for Lent seem about as silly as New Year's resolutions to me, though at least they're time-limited. Folks can get back to their regularly scheduled sins after they celebrate Jesus' zombification in a month and a half. Personally, I'm giving up Lent for Lent.

So how about you people; any Lent stories?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
22-02-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Today is the beginning of Lent
What's the deal with the dirt on the forehead anyways? What is it and what the heck is poor hygene symbolic of?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-02-2012, 07:59 PM
You beat me to it! I have been giving up Lent for Lent for the last 4 or 5 years or so!

As a nun, we fasted for Lent; dry toast for breakfast, and broth with bread for lunch and dinner.

I do not miss being a nun! Or a Catholic either...........
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
22-02-2012, 08:00 PM
We got us a former nun? Sweet! Guess I missed your intro post. Sorry bout that. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Today at my Catholic school I enjoyed being the only one not to rub dirt on my face. Big Grin

I also had a nice ham sandwich for lunch but I left it at home and ended up with the meatless cafeteria food instead. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
22-02-2012, 08:23 PM
You former worshipers of Cathol want to fill in what the smudges are all about? I know they're ashes and they're *supposed* to be in the shape of a cross. I just figured the ashes thing hearkens back to all the times OT kings ripped off their clothes and put on "sackloth and ashes" and left it at that.
22-02-2012, 08:37 PM
(22-02-2012 08:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  You former worshipers of Cathol want to fill in what the smudges are all about? I know they're ashes and they're *supposed* to be in the shape of a cross. I just figured the ashes thing hearkens back to all the times OT kings ripped off their clothes and put on "sackloth and ashes" and left it at that.

That's pretty much it. It's a sign of penance and sorrow for sins, as well as a reminder that life on earth is supposedly temporary.

When they put it on your forehead, they say "Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."
22-02-2012, 08:42 PM
(22-02-2012 08:37 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 08:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  You former worshipers of Cathol want to fill in what the smudges are all about? I know they're ashes and they're *supposed* to be in the shape of a cross. I just figured the ashes thing hearkens back to all the times OT kings ripped off their clothes and put on "sackloth and ashes" and left it at that.

That's pretty much it. It's a sign of penance and sorrow for sins, as well as a reminder that life on earth is supposedly temporary.

When they put it on your forehead, they say "Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."

Right, penance for the sins you commit the day before on Mardi Gras.
22-02-2012, 08:58 PM
*ahem!*. I feel I am farrrr better than any no-meat-eater, Lent-taker-upper, except-of-the-seafood-variety Catholic because not only do I not do this Ash Weds, Holy Thurs and Good Fri, but I do that every day! Bonus points please! Equal to one ticket to heaven! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
22-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I love the caption on the photo of Joe Biden.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr.Beer's post