Today is the beginning of Lent

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 09:55 PM
RE: Today is the beginning of Lent
Well I for one won’t be eating shellfish…
But that’s more to do with puffing up and flopping about until medics arrive than anything else.
But now I know what lent is… The more you know…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 11:26 PM
(22-02-2012 09:55 PM)Karl Wrote:  But now I know what lent is… The more you know…

I was hoping this thread might be educational! Big Grin

Unless you're being sarcastic. It's hard to tell when people online are being sarcatsic sometimes. Dodgy
23-02-2012, 12:14 AM
(22-02-2012 11:26 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 09:55 PM)Karl Wrote:  But now I know what lent is… The more you know…

I was hoping this thread might be educational! Big Grin

Unless you're being sarcastic. It's hard to tell when people online are being sarcatsic sometimes. Dodgy

No, I had no idea what lent was…
I had heard of it but due to apathy I never pursued the meaning behind it.

But sarcasm is one of my many talents…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
23-02-2012, 05:07 PM
(22-02-2012 08:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  You former worshipers of Cathol want to fill in what the smudges are all about? I know they're ashes and they're *supposed* to be in the shape of a cross. I just figured the ashes thing hearkens back to all the times OT kings ripped off their clothes and put on "sackloth and ashes" and left it at that.

It's ashes from burnt palm fronds.

Quote:Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered after the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-02-2012, 11:20 PM
(23-02-2012 05:07 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 08:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  You former worshipers of Cathol want to fill in what the smudges are all about? I know they're ashes and they're *supposed* to be in the shape of a cross. I just figured the ashes thing hearkens back to all the times OT kings ripped off their clothes and put on "sackloth and ashes" and left it at that.

It's ashes from burnt palm fronds.

Quote:Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. The ashes used are typically gathered after the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned

Hah, didn't know about saving the palm fronds for a year. Sounds messy.