Today's Phone Scammers Encounter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2018, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 12:21 AM by Peebothuhul.)
Today's Phone Scammers Encounter
So... here abouts we have folks (Strangely always with a 'Sub-continent' accent) ringing up and claiming to be variously from:

(A) Micro Soft.

(B) Our Telco provider.

This afternoon was a little bit differant in that it started off with a robot voice informing me of "Broad band server damage. To prevent service termination. Press '1' now.".

Looking at the time, I've got an hour or two spare before I have to toddle off to work, and the thought of "Fek it, lets play" scampered impishly through my head.

Making myself comfortable at desk my land-line Phone lives, I dutifuly press '1'.

A polite Sub-continent voice (With the ubiquitous call centre chatter in the back ground) begins to give me a speel about how there's been damage to a server in my area (Thence provides me with my postal area code) and that they need to verify certain things to get my broad band internet speed back up to snuff.

'Okay' I think to my self. There are already soooo many problema with their statement but what the heck.

I'm then asked if I am near my router and what devices are connected to said router and what is ( Are?) the status light like on my router.

I Cheerfuly inform them that the main conection light is a strong, steady green. Big Grin

There's a slight pause before the "Are you in front of your comupter?"

Now, I am infront of 'A' computer. It's not mine, however... But I still feel like playing so I don't make that distinction. I confirm "Yes."

Before I utter anything more the polite voice asks me to turn said device on.

I agree and do so but then I then, litterally, have to appologise to put the phone down to let the family canine out for thier afternoon romp and piddle in the back yard grass.

Returnig to the operator I make light conversation... all the while awaiting the very old computer before me to boot up.

After some time... (Actual minutes) the screen is on and the desk top is showing.

I'm then asked to look at my keyboard and press the 'Windows' key.

I halt the operator and express my consternation/dismay/etc that... My keyboard... connected to my old computer... Does not actually have such a key. The bottom left of my key board having the 'Ctrl', 'Alt' and thence 'Spacebar'.

There's a few more seconds silence form the operator.

Note, I've expressed how old the computer is. Wasted a good few minutes as said system boots up. Explained the operating system is Windows 7. The operator pretty much does accept that, indeed, the computer equivalent of a stegasaur is sitting on my desk as we speak.

So... undaunted, our intrepid operator asks if I can access the internet via Chrome or Explorer.

I happily inform them I can, and do so.

They then ask me to go to the generic 'Speed tester' free web page and I read back to them the delivered interwebz speed displayed their on. (If our reader thinks 30-Odd mbps is slow, I am whole heartedly in agreement with them... But what can one do living at the arts end of the world?)

I'm then informed that I have to open up 'Team veiwer' aplication so that they can thence help get said interwebz speed back up to 'normal'.

So... now I'm bored. I inform them I know what team viewer is. That I've shared the service with freinds over in Perth (Much fun was had that day) and that why should I be doing this for our operator when they are supposedly the provider of my broad band... Which should have the physical hard ware that has been damaged.... Where in the problem has already been stated as residing WITHIN their distribution problems?

TO which I'm quickly and politely shuffled off to their supervisor so that the details can be made cleaer.

Said suprevisors says hello... And I have to politely explain I have to put the phone down to let the family pet back in.

Needles to say (And to bring the long tale to a quicker close than in real life).... they eventualy gave up on the call, given the glacail speed at which anything was hapening on my end of the conversation.

I am really begining to think that looking up a 'How to' to creat a "Virtual box" on said system... Just to watch them run around inside said cage... might be my next level of entertainment....

Hope that yarn brought some smiles to people's day. Big Grin

Not at work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Peebothuhul's post
13-06-2018, 04:00 AM
RE: Today's Phone Scammers Encounter
Not a phone call, but an email I got yesterday invited me to download the transcript of my IRS call. It had to be legitimate because it was signed by the manager of the Department of Treasure.

I can just picture them sitting around the office in their pirate outfits.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
13-06-2018, 04:19 AM
Old??

My new laptop runs Windows 7. My old laptop runs Windows ME.

Both work just fine.

I liked ME. It was so unpopular nobody ever wrote any malware for it. I ran for years on the internet with no virus protection - and it never crashed.

Tongue

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
13-06-2018, 04:24 AM
Anybody noticed the latest (and quite worrysome) trend of
Quote:Not at work
? Consider

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
13-06-2018, 04:27 AM
In the past month, I’ve had three calls from where I assume is China. Apparently it’s a thing going around: Chinese scammers calling numbers at random to try and get a Chinese immigrant to swindle by pretending to be the Chinese Embassy. One of those calls woke me up too, rat bastard.

(13-06-2018 12:14 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  (If our reader thinks 30-Odd mbps is slow, I am whole heartedly in agreement with them... But what can one do living at the arts end of the world?)”

Can I suggest ‘don’t vote in the Liberal-Nationals to gut and pillage the Labour broadband system to be more expensive and less efficient while also bungling every stage of rollout’?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-06-2018, 04:28 AM
(13-06-2018 04:24 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Anybody noticed the latest (and quite worrysome) trend of
Quote:Not at work
? Consider

That's okay. ........ I'm at work now. Tongue
13-06-2018, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2018 04:49 AM by OakTree500.)
Not so much any more, but I used to get cold calls a fair amount for "an accident I've had in the last 3-5 years", which of course I've never had. I found the best way to deal with those calls were to play along a little. It'd go something like this:

Caller: "Hi I'm calling regarding an accident you've had in the last 3-5 years"
Me:" Accident? I've not had an accident recently.....[add a really serious voice] but then again there was that horrible brain injury I received in that car crash. [Back to regular cheery voice] Sorry, what were talking about?"
Caller, now slightly excited by my admission of an accident: "An accident you've had in the last 3-5 years, did you say you were in a car crash sir?"
Me: "No, I've never been in a car crash....[add a really serious voice] but then again there was that horrible brain injury I received in that car crash. [Back to regular cheery voice] Sorry, what were talking about again?"

And so on. Funnily enough I don't get many of those calls anymore

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
13-06-2018, 04:31 AM
(13-06-2018 04:29 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Not so much any more, but I used to get cold calls a fair amount for "an accident I've had in the last 3-5 years", which of course I've never had. I found the best way to deal with those calls were to play along a little. It'd go something like this:

Caller: "Hi I'm calling regarding an accident you've had in the last 3-5 years"
Me:" Accident? I've not had an accident recently.....but then again there was that horrible brain injury I received in that car crash. Sorry, what were talking about?"
Caller, now slightly excited by my admission of an accident: "An accident you've had in the last 3-5 years, did you say you were in a car crash sir?"
Me: "No, I've never been in a car crash....but then again there was that horrible brain injury I received in that car crash. Sorry, what were talking about again?"

And so on. Funnily enough I don't get many of those calls anymore

"An accident?! I'll have you know I stopped wetting the bed 6 years ago to the day, sir!"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-06-2018, 04:41 AM
(13-06-2018 04:27 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  In the past month, I’ve had three calls from where I assume is China. Apparently it’s a thing going around: Chinese scammers calling numbers at random to try and get a Chinese immigrant to swindle by pretending to be the Chinese Embassy. One of those calls woke me up too, rat bastard.

I've had a couple of those leave messages - thought I'd use Google Translate to find out what was being said. It translated them as:

"The wife proposed to go down one sound inquiry, please press a button whirlwind to serve you"

and

"The moral education goes out on long-term consultation, please click one-click to art all-round"

Isn't technology wonderful? Smile

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
13-06-2018, 04:48 AM
(13-06-2018 12:14 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  So... here abouts we have folks (Strangely always with a 'Sub-continent' accent) ringing up and claiming to be variously from...

... Hope that yarn brought some smiles to people's day. Big Grin

It certainly did!   Big Grin

A few months ago I got a similar call from India, and like you had time to play along.

"Are you sitting in front of your computer sir?"
Not quite; I'm slightly off to one side.
"Oh... um... is your computer turned on sir?"
What do you mean by turned on?
"Is the power light illuminated?"
Where is the power light?
"It's on the front of the case sir".
I'm not travelling, so I don't have a case with me.
".......... oh.........."

After 10 more minutes of this toing and froing, the bloke started to get really angry, and eventually accused me of wasting his time LOL, and that I was a very rude person!

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post