Today's face palm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Today's face palm
(21-01-2014 09:49 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  If a woman flirts with me, and especially if she's cute, I consider it a compliment. Just because she flirted with me doesn't mean I have to sleep with her - I loves the menfolk - but it isn't hurting me in any way. Jeebus.

Same here, just with the genders swapped. My best friend is gay (stop it, let me finish) and if we ever do go out to drink, it's usually to the local gay bar. I don't mind, the music is kind of terrible, but the drinks are good and cheap; plus I'm there to hang out with my best friend and he really enjoys the place. The understanding (at least at this bar) is that it's a hook-up place for homosexuals, and a place for straight people to hang out without being bothered as such. So the ladies are really nice to talk to and very relaxed because there isn't that expectation, they are simply not interested in dudes gay or straight; which is fine as I have a girlfriend already. A few dudes have made passes at me, although I imagine sitting there and talking with my best friend (who is a regular there) probably dissuades more from coming over. Still I take it in stride and as the compliment for which it was intended. Somebody thought I was attractive enough to come over and say something about it, regardless of their gender, that is still very flattering.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-01-2014, 03:28 AM
Well, in his excuse, he lives in the bible belt. I don't think that, other than me, he knows a single open minded person. I told this story about his wife earlier elsewhere here:

His wife lost a 4 year old kid after a long battle with cancer. Her mother's comment: "you know this is god punishing you for gambling". Well, she's not a gambler per se, she gambled while at a conference in Vegas. I was there too, and we actually played together.

Now, mom belongs to one of those fire and brimstone churches. The entire family is totally dysfunctional, you have religious nuts, drug addicts, people regularly run out of cash and stay at other family member's houses, lots of squabbles and unhappiness but unwavering loyalty as in taking in relatives while moaning and bitching about it. Seems like half of the clan usually has housing and the other half just hangs out there then.

It's like a foreign country, hearing their stories. I can't imagine living like that. And - delusions of all descriptions rule. They seem to be perfectly great at avoiding any type of facts and reality.

So, that guy is drowning in an environment that has got to be suffocating him. He really seems a lot more rational than the rest of the clan.

I feel sorry for him, but I still can barely wrap my head around how these people live.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-01-2014, 05:47 AM
(21-01-2014 05:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, a few years ago I was sitting at the ocean with a friend's husband, just talking and watching the sunset. I forget where my friend had gone, but it's immaterial anyways.

Well, during the conversation, somehow he started telling me about being attracted to other men. He seemed to be quite upset about it, and I found myself reassuring him that it was ok.

Fast forward some 5 years. I am chatting with him online - he is looking for a new job and I was seeing if I could help him along. We end up just shooting the shit and he starts talking about how gays were so in your face today, and how it just wasn't right. And how he had nothing against them but he just didn't want it in his face.

HELLO? DID YOU FORGET OUR CONVERSATION?

Confused

Blink

Sounds like since he was originally upset by the feeling that he's spent the past 5 yrs talking himself out of it........aka........That never happened.
Sad

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
22-01-2014, 07:43 AM
(22-01-2014 05:47 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 05:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, a few years ago I was sitting at the ocean with a friend's husband, just talking and watching the sunset. I forget where my friend had gone, but it's immaterial anyways.

Well, during the conversation, somehow he started telling me about being attracted to other men. He seemed to be quite upset about it, and I found myself reassuring him that it was ok.

Fast forward some 5 years. I am chatting with him online - he is looking for a new job and I was seeing if I could help him along. We end up just shooting the shit and he starts talking about how gays were so in your face today, and how it just wasn't right. And how he had nothing against them but he just didn't want it in his face.

HELLO? DID YOU FORGET OUR CONVERSATION?

Confused

Blink

Sounds like since he was originally upset by the feeling that he's spent the past 5 yrs talking himself out of it........aka........That never happened.
Sad

Yeah it is sad.

I can't imagine what that must be like - to live in that environment. Everyone around him is batshit crazy. When you take his wife out of the environment - she is still batshit crazy. But if you take him out of the environment - he starts looking around and thinking on different lines and I think that's what made him tell me in the first place.

If he could ever get outta there, I think there would be hope for him. Oh well, too sad, really.

And quite scary that there are enclaves of such surreal living conditions.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-01-2014, 03:44 PM
(21-01-2014 10:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 09:49 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  If a woman flirts with me, and especially if she's cute, I consider it a compliment. Just because she flirted with me doesn't mean I have to sleep with her - I loves the menfolk - but it isn't hurting me in any way. Jeebus.

Same here, just with the genders swapped. My best friend is gay (stop it, let me finish) and if we ever do go out to drink, it's usually to the local gay bar. I don't mind, the music is kind of terrible, but the drinks are good and cheap; plus I'm there to hang out with my best friend and he really enjoys the place. The understanding (at least at this bar) is that it's a hook-up place for homosexuals, and a place for straight people to hang out without being bothered as such. So the ladies are really nice to talk to and very relaxed because there isn't that expectation, they are simply not interested in dudes gay or straight; which is fine as I have a girlfriend already. A few dudes have made passes at me, although I imagine sitting there and talking with my best friend (who is a regular there) probably dissuades more from coming over. Still I take it in stride and as the compliment for which it was intended. Somebody thought I was attractive enough to come over and say something about it, regardless of their gender, that is still very flattering.

I love going to gay bars. I have quite a few gay friends and it's usually where we end up hanging out.

I'm always up front about being straight when a guy hits on me, but that seldom stops them from buying me drinks and complimenting me. And who doesn't like free drinks and compliments?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
23-01-2014, 05:00 PM
(23-01-2014 03:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-01-2014 10:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Same here, just with the genders swapped. My best friend is gay (stop it, let me finish) and if we ever do go out to drink, it's usually to the local gay bar. I don't mind, the music is kind of terrible, but the drinks are good and cheap; plus I'm there to hang out with my best friend and he really enjoys the place. The understanding (at least at this bar) is that it's a hook-up place for homosexuals, and a place for straight people to hang out without being bothered as such. So the ladies are really nice to talk to and very relaxed because there isn't that expectation, they are simply not interested in dudes gay or straight; which is fine as I have a girlfriend already. A few dudes have made passes at me, although I imagine sitting there and talking with my best friend (who is a regular there) probably dissuades more from coming over. Still I take it in stride and as the compliment for which it was intended. Somebody thought I was attractive enough to come over and say something about it, regardless of their gender, that is still very flattering.

I love going to gay bars. I have quite a few gay friends and it's usually where we end up hanging out.

I'm always up front about being straight when a guy hits on me, but that seldom stops them from buying me drinks and complimenting me. And who doesn't like free drinks and compliments?

I used to regularly go to a gay bar with a male gay friend of mine when I lived in San Francisco. I eventually quit because I felt I was deceiving the ladies there - they'd get up the courage to come over and ask me and I wasn't interested. I ended up feeling rotten about it.

23-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Dialog with a woman I work with.

Her: "I have to take my Dad to the urologist today."
Me brain farting: "Okay. What's the difference between a proctologist and a urologist again?"
Her: Blink ... Blink ... Unsure ... "Um, one treats assholes and the other treats dicks?" ... Unsure
Me: Blush"I knew that."

Office hilarity ensued.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-01-2014, 08:03 AM
(23-01-2014 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 03:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I love going to gay bars. I have quite a few gay friends and it's usually where we end up hanging out.

I used to regularly go to a gay bar with a male gay friend of mine when I lived in San Francisco. I eventually quit because I felt I was deceiving the ladies there - they'd get up the courage to come over and ask me and I wasn't interested. I ended up feeling rotten about it.

That's why I'm always very up front about my sexuality. However, I've gotten the "You just haven't met the right guy, let me buy you a drink." line more times than I can count. Even when my gay friends tell them I'm straight, some still think I just need a few drinks in me.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
24-01-2014, 02:10 PM
(24-01-2014 08:03 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 05:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  I used to regularly go to a gay bar with a male gay friend of mine when I lived in San Francisco. I eventually quit because I felt I was deceiving the ladies there - they'd get up the courage to come over and ask me and I wasn't interested. I ended up feeling rotten about it.

That's why I'm always very up front about my sexuality. However, I've gotten the "You just haven't met the right guy, let me buy you a drink." line more times than I can count. Even when my gay friends tell them I'm straight, some still think I just need a few drinks in me.

Or you're playing hard to get. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 03:15 PM
(24-01-2014 02:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 08:03 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  That's why I'm always very up front about my sexuality. However, I've gotten the "You just haven't met the right guy, let me buy you a drink." line more times than I can count. Even when my gay friends tell them I'm straight, some still think I just need a few drinks in me.

Or you're playing hard to get. Consider

I'm sure more than one thought that. I used to go to a little place in Arlington, VA called Freddie's to watch drag show karaoke (yes, it's as awesome as it sounds). One of the guys that insisted I just needed one good night with him sang "one way or another" to me. Blonde wig and all. My wife thought it was hilarious.