Today's the day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Today's the day
the 11 year old daughter starts her first job, a paid babysitting job for the neighbor across the street. She is thrilled. Two weeks ago she took the Red Cross babysitting course, came home made flyers passed them around the neighborhood mailboxes, ordered business cards, and has been talking to everyone she can that she is available.

today is also the day that I have a meeting to start back into the working world after an 11 year hiatus of being a stay at home Mom. I still have a few more hoops to jump through, but today I take that step. And I'm feeling guilty that daughter #2 won't have as much 'stay at home mom' time as her sister. Sad The first was ready to fly, the second isnt old enough and I feel like I'm rushing her into growing up.

Thrilled for one child, sad for the other-- nothing in this world like mommy-guilt

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-10-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Today's the day
What time will you be working? 9-to-5?

I don't have children so I might not have the necessary experience to help you, but I hope everything goes well with you!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
24-10-2014, 12:40 PM
(24-10-2014 07:30 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  the 11 year old daughter starts her first job, a paid babysitting job for the neighbor across the street. She is thrilled. Two weeks ago she took the Red Cross babysitting course, came home made flyers passed them around the neighborhood mailboxes, ordered business cards, and has been talking to everyone she can that she is available.

today is also the day that I have a meeting to start back into the working world after an 11 year hiatus of being a stay at home Mom. I still have a few more hoops to jump through, but today I take that step. And I'm feeling guilty that daughter #2 won't have as much 'stay at home mom' time as her sister. Sad The first was ready to fly, the second isnt old enough and I feel like I'm rushing her into growing up.

Thrilled for one child, sad for the other-- nothing in this world like mommy-guilt

I swear, guilt is just part of being a mother. If you stay home you feel guilty because you're not contributing to the household income and when you work you feel guilty that you're not with your kids. Just accept it. You're GUILTY AS CHARGED!

I wish I could have gotten paid for every moment I felt guilty as a mother, I'd be rich now.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-10-2014, 12:44 PM
You are teaching your kids that sometimes we have to do things that are less than ideal to hold the family up. You, my friend, are setting an example. And THAT is the BEST way to parent.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Strange turn of events...

Daughter was supposed to sit for an hour while the Mother ran errands, when the Mother got home she asked my daughter if she wanted to come back later this evening because she was going out with her husband for an anniversary dinner. So she scored a couple more hours of work today. Thumbsup

Me, on the other hand, went to my meeting. An (atheist) friend works for this company, and was telling me how nice it was, etc. I still have a few hoops to jump thru to get my SC license right, but figured I would meet and talk and get a feel for things at that office. One of the first things the gal tells me is the company motto is "god first, then family, then business". Or atleast I think that is what the last two items were because my brain stopped in stunned silence after she threw god on the table. Blink

I got home and mentioned it to my friend, he laughed, said he had voiced the same concern to his wife when he first got there but said he hasnt experienced anything else in the two years he has been there.

ugh.

maybe I will continue the stay at home mom gig a bit longer.

24-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I am fortunate that I have "the choice" to stay home or not. My family doesnt depend on my income. I would be the bonus money-- (vacations, new cars, more stuff) while all that is nice, we are doing ok with me at home.

24-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Don't worry about the younger daughter not having you home as long as the older one. The older one will be off to college and the younger will have you all to herself.

It evens out over time.

You are looking for a job in SC - religion is part of the landscape there. Some places worse than others but I don't think I ever found anywhere that it was completely absent.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Guess what, we loved it when our mother went back to her chosen career after a 20 yr hiatus. We liked getting home and having the house to ourselves. We were respectful and picked up after ourselves. Mom was happier and that reflected on us. She was usually home before dad and I'd usually have a pot of potatoes ready to cook.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
24-10-2014, 07:57 PM
(24-10-2014 07:32 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Guess what, we loved it when our mother went back to her chosen career after a 20 yr hiatus. We liked getting home and having the house to ourselves. We were respectful and picked up after ourselves. Mom was happier and that reflected on us. She was usually home before dad and I'd usually have a pot of potatoes ready to cook.

You know I look back and remember when my mom went "back to work"... I was around ten I guess. I remember being so proud when I earned my parents trust enough to come home alone for lunch. I see now that they used the change to teach me some really valuable lessons. One of them was having a respect for our home that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I carry it with me today, whether my house is a sprawling rancher on 160 acres or a walk-in closet with a cot.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-10-2014, 08:22 PM
For what it's worth, any legitimate research I can find confirms that, when it comes to time spent with kids in regards to their development, quality is way more important than quantity. In other words whether or not you're a good mom is much more significant than whether or not you're a stay at home mom.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post