Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work
I work in a very casual office setting. It's so informal people wear jeans to work everyday and so we don't really have a dress code. However last week I was pulled aside from my supervisor and told I couldn't wear my favorite pair of pants anymore. They are dressy casual pants that are fairly loose fitting, and I was told they give the appearance of sweatpants. I've work these a dozen time before and have never been told that I couldn't wear them. My coworkers frequently wear actual sweatpants and have never been told they could not wear them anymore. I feel like I'm being treated like a child when I was lectured. I'm 23, but my supervisor is only 28 and her tone was pretty condescending. When I stated I did not think they were sweatpants she just said they were. This isn't a big deal, but I needed to vent a bit. Just one of those small things that can get under your skin and bug you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work
I can see how that would bother you--especially if they were work-appropriate. But you do work for others, so unfortunately they can dictate what they feel is work-appropriate for their company/agency/firm etc. They sound like cute pants, and you can still rock them on your off days! Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-08-2015, 02:19 PM
  • Take a picture the next time someone wears sweatpants to work.
  • Wear your favorite slacks the next day.
  • If supervisor objects, display picture.
  • Win.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
15-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't see any scenario where making an issue out of this with your boss equals a win for you.
Chas, your mean streak is showing.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
15-08-2015, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 04:17 PM by Anjele.)
I have found that discrepancies in dress code are often based on a person's position.

I see people coming into work in what looks like they would wear it to either do their gardening or perhaps to head to the nearest dive bar. I just shake my head some days.

As the accounting assistant, I would be reprimanded if I dressed like that. I normally wear black pants and I have a variety of shirts, blouses, and sweaters I wear with them. Not super dressy but presentable. I do wear nice sandals, not the flip flops I often see in the call center or the billing department. I stick to pants to cover my tattoos - but then, I wouldn't wear Capri pants even on my day off. My nice skirts gather dust in the closet.

The only time I really break code is when we have ice and snow...then I am in jeans and boots (but a nice sweater) because if I get stuck or in an accident, I am going to be dressed for the weather. A little tidbit I mentioned to the owner when he got on me for wearing boots - he had, a couple days before, slid his car into a ditch and had to walk quite a way in work clothes. He didn't ever mention it again. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Come to work bottomless.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
15-08-2015, 04:13 PM
(15-08-2015 04:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Come to work bottomless.

There you go Big Grin Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
16-08-2015, 06:02 PM
(15-08-2015 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 04:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Come to work bottomless.

There you go Big Grin Thumbsup

We have a lot of old pervs in the office, so they would enjoy it more than I would.
[+] 2 users Like jerseygirlar's post
16-08-2015, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2015 06:54 PM by Banjo.)
The post I just wrote was not worth reading. Sorry to waste your time.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-08-2015, 09:11 PM
If I were you I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously you have an ass that they can't handle, and they can't control themselves so they need you to put it away before inevitable calamity ensues. As a male, I find it to be a reasonable request.

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post