Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work
I work in a very casual office setting. It's so informal people wear jeans to work everyday and so we don't really have a dress code. However last week I was pulled aside from my supervisor and told I couldn't wear my favorite pair of pants anymore. They are dressy casual pants that are fairly loose fitting, and I was told they give the appearance of sweatpants. I've work these a dozen time before and have never been told that I couldn't wear them. My coworkers frequently wear actual sweatpants and have never been told they could not wear them anymore. I feel like I'm being treated like a child when I was lectured. I'm 23, but my supervisor is only 28 and her tone was pretty condescending. When I stated I did not think they were sweatpants she just said they were. This isn't a big deal, but I needed to vent a bit. Just one of those small things that can get under your skin and bug you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Told I couldn't wear a particular pair of pants at work
I can see how that would bother you--especially if they were work-appropriate. But you do work for others, so unfortunately they can dictate what they feel is work-appropriate for their company/agency/firm etc. They sound like cute pants, and you can still rock them on your off days! Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-08-2015, 02:19 PM
  • Take a picture the next time someone wears sweatpants to work.
  • Wear your favorite slacks the next day.
  • If supervisor objects, display picture.
  • Win.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
15-08-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't see any scenario where making an issue out of this with your boss equals a win for you.
Chas, your mean streak is showing.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
15-08-2015, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 04:17 PM by Anjele.)
I have found that discrepancies in dress code are often based on a person's position.

I see people coming into work in what looks like they would wear it to either do their gardening or perhaps to head to the nearest dive bar. I just shake my head some days.

As the accounting assistant, I would be reprimanded if I dressed like that. I normally wear black pants and I have a variety of shirts, blouses, and sweaters I wear with them. Not super dressy but presentable. I do wear nice sandals, not the flip flops I often see in the call center or the billing department. I stick to pants to cover my tattoos - but then, I wouldn't wear Capri pants even on my day off. My nice skirts gather dust in the closet.

The only time I really break code is when we have ice and snow...then I am in jeans and boots (but a nice sweater) because if I get stuck or in an accident, I am going to be dressed for the weather. A little tidbit I mentioned to the owner when he got on me for wearing boots - he had, a couple days before, slid his car into a ditch and had to walk quite a way in work clothes. He didn't ever mention it again. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Come to work bottomless.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
15-08-2015, 04:13 PM
(15-08-2015 04:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Come to work bottomless.

There you go Big Grin Thumbsup
16-08-2015, 06:02 PM
(15-08-2015 04:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 04:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Come to work bottomless.

There you go Big Grin Thumbsup

We have a lot of old pervs in the office, so they would enjoy it more than I would.
[+] 2 users Like jerseygirlar's post
16-08-2015, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2015 06:54 PM by Banjo.)
The post I just wrote was not worth reading. Sorry to waste your time.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-08-2015, 09:11 PM
If I were you I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously you have an ass that they can't handle, and they can't control themselves so they need you to put it away before inevitable calamity ensues. As a male, I find it to be a reasonable request.

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post