Told a friend about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Told a friend about atheism
So over Easter, I had a convo with a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with Lou Gherigs Disease. As we were talking, he began to move towards a religious angle, the power of prayer, and asking me to pray with him. So I was honest and told him I was an atheist. His jaw dropped and he was quiet. The first words out of his mouth were "I've never known any open atheists...I always thought they were evil, despicable people...guess I need to rethink my views".

So we had a friendly chat about it. He talked about the comfort he got in Heaven, seeing friends, family, etc. I explained that the emotional satisfaction and desire for what he thinks Heaven is does nothing to make it real. Honestly we don't know what happens. Chances are you die...and that's it. Maybe not. I don't know. Not knowing doesn't mean it's worse.

Then we talked about morality and the necessity of Christian values and morals in government.

In the end, he said he had never looked at things this way and had a lot to think about. I felt kind of bad at the end...but it was a friendly convo and we're still friends. At least he doesn't think we're all evil, despicable people now.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 18 users Like =jesse='s post
21-04-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: Told a friend about atheism
(21-04-2014 10:47 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  At least he doesn't think we're all evil, despicable people now.

Yay!

That will buy us more time to build the death ray!
[+] 12 users Like Mathilda's post
21-04-2014, 10:55 AM
(21-04-2014 10:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 10:47 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  At least he doesn't think we're all evil, despicable people now.

Yay!

And build up our army for the next war on christmas.
Thank science there were no casualties last year.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
21-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I laughed a little too much at your guy's comments Laugh out load

Back on topic, well at least it was a friendly conversation. I don't think I would have the heart to start a debate on religion in this type of situation though.

Atir aissom atir imon
21-04-2014, 11:03 AM
I think in a lot of cases we suspect people will react the worst, when its not -usually- that bad.

I am very lucky in the regard that my family and small group of close friends couldn't care less if I'm an atheist, wiccan or anything else or, in a new friend, an atheist themselves.

But outside of that I'm always very upfront when I meet someone about what I believe. If they can't like me because of that. I don't want to be their friend.

I'm glad things went so well with your pal!
21-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I think you did the right thing. Of course it depends on the type of person you're speaking with and how rational they are. Some theists can be really emotional and get defensive and thus are not capable of rational discussion. They resort to insulting and lying and saying things louder and more relentlessly, as if it'll make what they're saying true. Originally when speaking to my atheist friends, as a theist I was very reluctant to believe what they were saying.
I later thanked them for making me "see the light" pardon the expression, as I'm now a happy atheist who lives in reality.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
21-04-2014, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 11:17 AM by sporehux.)
Depends on the attitude of the theist and your friendship level with them.
I have a diverse standpoint for each person. Mostly I will drop the A bomb but sometimes I'm a doubting theist sometimes a deist or agnostic.
I never deny being an atheist but it serves no purpose to trumpet a war cry. Better to whittle away at them in stealth.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I did feel kind of like a dick for telling him about my atheism right then, but he's a friend and I didn't want to lie. I also wanted him to be proactive about preparing for his family and making the most of life instead of 'leaving it to God'.

A few parts were a little painful, and he's still a theists, but it was a constructive conversation.

And stop talking about our death ray...it's not a secret if you guys keep posting about it. Jeez.... Facepalm

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 6 users Like =jesse='s post
21-04-2014, 12:27 PM
That must be the best reaction to an atheist coming out ever Cool

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
22-04-2014, 01:07 AM
(21-04-2014 10:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Yay!

.... wait, DEATH RAY????

I thought we were adding chips to cell phones so that they'd emit subliminal mind-control radiation!

Dammit, the stenographer of the Council of Evil screwed up AGAIN!
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post