Tolerance is over rated

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2010, 11:22 PM

Rainbow Tolerance is over rated
[Image: coexistbumpersticker.jpg]

Slogans are not realistic...

Allen West ~ Does he have a point? (Please, don't look under his hair. It's not a rhetorical question, I swear.)
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2010, 12:23 AM
RE: Tolerance is over rated
(16-10-2010 11:22 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Does he have a point?

How does co-existence give away your country, your freedom and who you are? In my opinion, based on what I saw on the video, he is insensed because the co-exist bumper sticker gives other religions equality to his religion. This is very likely to be why he is insensed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2010, 11:26 AM

(17-10-2010 12:23 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(16-10-2010 11:22 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Does he have a point?

How does co-existence give away your country, your freedom and who you are? In my opinion, based on what I saw on the video, he is insensed because the co-exist bumper sticker gives other religions equality to his religion. This is very likely to be why he is insensed.

I didn't take it that way. I think what he observed is other religions, not just those who's symbols are depicted on the sticker, are not especially tolerant of others. So sloganizing what is very often not possible, according to the tenets of any faith, regarding coexistence is unrealistic. And thus, tolerance for those who would not support coexistence, is self-destructive.

"Radical" Islam, being a contemporary example of this. Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity yet another.
17-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Coexist. What a sweet thought. But how does it work in practice?

The Coexist Foundation’s Objectives are:

* To promote, encourage and support engagement between Jews, Christians and Muslims both individually and through their respective communities through dialogue, education and research.
* To promote and facilitate the education of the public in the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths and belief and in particular to advance the knowledge and understanding of:
o the teachings, traditions and practices of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths;
o the shared history of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths;
o both the common ground shared by the faiths and the theological, philosophical, cultural, political, and economic bases of and differences between the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths and communities.
* To promote for the benefit of the public, religious harmony between Jews, Christians and Muslims by encouraging among them a greater understanding and appreciation of each other’s distinctive faith, beliefs, and practices and their common ground. And to this end also to promote friendship, goodwill and mutual trust among them.

Christians, jews and muslims will become friends? That's good, but what aboot the others? Sad Those logos have other symbols too, so are there other ''coexist'' organization too?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
17-10-2010, 12:41 PM

(17-10-2010 12:13 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Coexist. What a sweet thought. But how does it work in practice?

The Coexist Foundation’s Objectives are:

* To promote, encourage and support engagement between Jews, Christians and Muslims both individually and through their respective communities through dialogue, education and research.
* To promote and facilitate the education of the public in the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths and belief and in particular to advance the knowledge and understanding of:
o the teachings, traditions and practices of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths;
o the shared history of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths;
o both the common ground shared by the faiths and the theological, philosophical, cultural, political, and economic bases of and differences between the Jewish, Christian and Islamic faiths and communities.
* To promote for the benefit of the public, religious harmony between Jews, Christians and Muslims by encouraging among them a greater understanding and appreciation of each other’s distinctive faith, beliefs, and practices and their common ground. And to this end also to promote friendship, goodwill and mutual trust among them.

Christians, jews and muslims will become friends? That's good, but what aboot the others? Sad Those logos have other symbols too, so are there other ''coexist'' organization too?
Very possibly, but none that I am aware of.
Look at this site, as a for instance with regard to coexistence of faiths, as those symbols denote. (Highlight the whole of that sites homepage (where "I AM" appears) with your mouse and you'll see all of the text that appears in small portions through the font of the "I AM" word. Also, on that same homepage, after the button that reads:"The Only God", mouse over that and you'll see a cross appear with the word, "Messiah" printed in it. Click that. So much for Jesus admonition, love thy neighbor as thyself, huh?!)
What are the odds of seeing that bumper sticker on the car of the person responsible for that website? And that's just one person, speaking for the most populist Theist faith in the world.

Consider if the Coexist sticker featured political parties logo's instead. The States know well enough there's a divisive atmosphere between the Democratic and Republican Party. And now the Tea Party is in the mix, as the far right extremist version of the GOP.

Many Americans think that the political platform that runs the whole country is based solely on but two parties. When in truth there are a great many political parties vying for a chance in office, but because they don't have near enough money or donors to make them a viable option to proceed, they remain virtually unknown save for those who are members of them.

So, if political philosophies clash and those are real flesh and blood participants in the secular realm, what are the odds of coexistence occurring amid people dedicated to pie in the sky spiritual philosophies? Dogma's and faiths, creeds, that flesh and blood dedicate their lives to, some literally so as to be martyred to those ideas, that afford a politic of their own for life on the promise all that effort shall either be punished or rewarded, after life.

Atheism is rational self determinism. Is it rational to imagine world peace is possible, which could only occur if everyone agreed as to what peace entailed and then lived up to it. And that would then give rise to coexistence, which would require everyone would respect everyone else, and tolerate everyone else.
Is it all possible, or is it just slogans to get us to strive for the unrealistic, while the reality is the human animal is selfish and always out for themselves.
17-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Tolerance has shown that if you don't happen to be from the country you live in you can be as intolerant as possible but still be protected if the target of intolerance from the natives.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Co-existence is not totally possible, but striving to create as much co-existence in the world as humanly possible is a noble endeavor that can improve the quality of life for large numbers of people. Tolerance between religions is about as close to world peace as we can get without eliminating religion, bearing in mind that eliminating religion doesn't mean we will have world peace, but we will have one less proponent of hatred to deal with, and a huge one at that.
18-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Tolerance, like anything, can be taken to extremes. This guy seems to be down on islam ... so am I, for most of the same reasons I'm down on all the traditional monotheistic religions. But if someone chooses to be a muslim, a christian, or a jew (or whatever), I'm willing to let him/her embrace whatever they want, so long as they don't push their crap on me. My version of tolerance is "live and let live". I won't tolerate the use of violence to serve political or religious ends, I don't tolerate violent homophobia, I don't tolerate rape, I don't tolerate murder, ... etc. There are many, many things I refuse to tolerate. So I'm not an advocate of some sort of stupid, mindless tolerance of everything, no matter how vile. After all, this is the THINKING atheist forum, not the forum of mindless idiot atheists.
18-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't tolerate the intolerant. And if there's a good reason to not tolerate something, I don't, and I think most of the sane think the same way.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Tolerance needs to be a two way street. Tolerance needs to flow both ways equally. If tolerance only flows one way, someone is getting screwed.