Tolerance to Alcohol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: Tolerance to Alcohol
(12-02-2016 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just look at a bottle of wine and I feel drunk. Fortunately I can't stand the taste of alcohol. It all taste like shoe polish. I've had very expensive wine and blah! Yuck. I can't fathom how people drink the stuff.

It has been my experience most expensive wines are dry wines.
Dry = lighter fluid Rainbow Vomit
Laugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 09:55 AM
I like a few drinks on occasion-usually when friends or family are over. I stick to one or two drinks, I get drunk very easily. When I get drunk, I am just happy, silly, and stupid. I am a harmless sort of drunk. I don't get that way in public though. I usually wind up the designated driver when we all go out, and drive them all home instead. I hate beer, it is too fattening and tastes awful to me, ditto for most very strongly flavored drinks. I stick to wine, champagne or vodka mixed with something like seltzer water or juice. I like the riesling and light, slightly sweet wines- the type I was told are not as posh as the dry wines. Perhaps amaretto or kahlua mixed with coffee instead of dessert after dinner.
No monkey on my back, but my father was an alcoholic, so I did see the danger, that is why I have always restricted it- I keep it to something that is harmless. I keep an eye on what I buy, so I do not slide into the way that he was- but a bottle of vodka will last several months for me, so I think I will be ok. I don't go out and buy alcohol very often.
12-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Depends what I'm doing, how I feel, and even time of the month.

Sometimes I have a couple cocktails and I'm asleep. Other times I'm happy...goofy.

I drank 10 margaritas in three hours while we were in Vegas. Then ordered another one during dinner. The next day I literally drank all day. Lol. Just maintained the small buzz..

Once at Disney's California Adventure, I hadn't anticipated drinking anything, totally forgot they even served alcohol. So I'm getting drinks for the kids and husband (a lemonade thing in Cars Land) and they asked if I wanted it "high octane" I was like huh...wait what?!

I got two high octane ones and two regular ones.

Then we went to the mad tea party and ended up with four Long Island Iced teas (husband in one line, me in the other, kids off to the side waiting).

Husband didn't like his...so I had to drink them all. It was a sacrifice I was ready to make.

Before we left we're all at the animation thing and I'm having a serious discussion with Woody. Facepalm

We walked back to the hotel, stopped for pizza on the way which Hubby made sure I ate and I was fine.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
(12-02-2016 06:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But, for me to get drunk -- it takes a fair bit. I can easily drink a pint of whiskey, and most people wouldn't even notice that I'd had a drink.
So - how's it for you??

Same but with vodka. 2 pints and then I'm smashed. And I don't get hangovers. I was curious about that and it seems about 25% don't get hangovers. Weird.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-02-2016, 11:36 AM
(12-02-2016 07:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I have to ask, had you been drinking when you crashed your bike?

Nope.. Stone cold sober every accident I've been in.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2016, 11:38 AM
(12-02-2016 11:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  But, for me to get drunk -- it takes a fair bit. I can easily drink a pint of whiskey, and most people wouldn't even notice that I'd had a drink.
So - how's it for you??

Same but with vodka. 2 pints and then I'm smashed. And I don't get hangovers. I was curious about that and it seems about 25% don't get hangovers. Weird.

I have to overdo it quite a bit to get hung over....

It's been many years since I woke up feeling really bad...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-02-2016, 12:14 PM
(12-02-2016 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just look at a bottle of wine and I feel drunk. Fortunately I can't stand the taste of alcohol. It all taste like shoe polish. I've had very expensive wine and blah! Yuck. I can't fathom how people drink the stuff.

Hey darlin', you could be my wife. Big Grin My wife loves theatre, and I know you do too, and she hates the taste of alcohol. She also doesn't like anything that might cause her to lose control of her mouth. That is, she always must be in complete control of what she says to other people.

I also do not like the loss of control that comes from drinking alcohol but I love the taste of booze. However, many years ago, when I was a young physics student, several of us went into the physics lab with a few bottles of booze. We were all hard drinkers and thought we had developed a tolerance to alcohol but, in fact, we had slowed reaction times. We measured reaction times before hitting the booze and after a few drinks and the difference was astounding. It occurred to all of us that if our physical reaction times had slowed as much as they did, our mental reaction times must have slowed as much even though we didn't stagger or slur words.

I must admit, as much as I disapprove of drinking, I sometimes, but rarely, take a shot of vodka before going to bed. I like the taste of vodka but more than that, I fight insomnia and it helps me sleep.
12-02-2016, 12:20 PM
(12-02-2016 12:14 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  

Hey darlin', you could be my wife. Big Grin My wife loves theatre, and I know you do too, and she hates the taste of alcohol. She also doesn't like anything that might cause her to lose control of her mouth. That is, she always must be in complete control of what she says to other people.

I also do not like the loss of control that comes from drinking alcohol but I love the taste of booze. However, many years ago, when I was a young physics student, several of us went into the physics lab with a few bottles of booze. We were all hard drinkers and thought we had developed a tolerance to alcohol but, in fact, we had slowed reaction times. We measured reaction times before hitting the booze and after a few drinks and the difference was astounding. It occurred to all of us that if our physical reaction times had slowed as much as they did, our mental reaction times must have slowed as much even though we didn't stagger or slur words.

I must admit, as much as I disapprove of drinking, I sometimes, but rarely, take a shot of vodka before going to bed. I like the taste of vodka but more than that, I fight insomnia and it helps me sleep.

It is a depressant.

I've never understood why some guys (it's usually guys) have a six pack of beer, and end up wound up tighter than a 7 day clock.........

You have to wonder if that kind drinks a pot of coffee, do they fall asleep????

12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I had one Mimosa on Christmas morning. I can't recall the last time I consumed alcohol before that but I think it was nearly twenty years.

I drank some in my late teens and early twenties. Alcohol was never my drug of choice. I was often the DD when out with friends. I do like the taste of rum and coke - or at least I did...it's been ages since I had one. I do not like beer or wine, never have.

Personal issues with drinking is not why I stopped. I stopped because too many people around me had issues with alcohol...my family tree is/was loaded with alcoholics and I figured it best to not go there. There are times when I think I would like a single after dinner type drink to sip on but I just don't bother.

After all these years I am sure I would be a real cheap date. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I like beer, wine and Vodka. I have a drink while I fix dinner every night, and a drink with dinner. What I have depends on what I eat.

I enjoy drinking, love all the flavors, but I get bad hangovers and that just isn't worth it. So, I never get drunk. But I enjoy my alcohol.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post