Tolerance to Alcohol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 09:17 AM
RE: Tolerance to Alcohol
I have very little tolerance. I go from stone cold sober to drunk soooo quickly with liquor - too fast to be able to gauge when I've had enough, and then my hangovers include nausea, vomiting, headaches, spinning... A pint could possibly land me in te ER. More often than I'd like to admit cocktails have landed me on the floor praying homage to the porcelain throne (I like their presentation and the wide array of flavors, and then I've had too much unintentionally). So I don't drink them anymore - maybe, MAYBE, one dirty martini OR gin and tonic OR bourbon and Coke.

I occasionally have a glass or two of wine or beer with dinner. I'm not driving if I have two - I'm tipsy off of just one. If I'm planning on getting pleasantly drunk I'll have up to three wheat beers at home. Tennessee sucks and you can't buy wine at the grocery store, so I don't have it very often.

As much as I enjoy dark beers, I have to stay away from them now, too. Two porters = hangover.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2016, 09:41 AM
There are loads of factors that seem to alter my tolerance!

When I first started drinking around 13-14 I'd get pissed off 4 or 5 cans or a small 330ml bottle of Vodka and I would be absolutely out of it. Throwing up etc. Now my tolerance is strange although it has improved. I can drink a 70cl bottle of Whiskey sometimes and not feel it too much, just a bit of lethargy (that's my main symptom of drunkenness now rather than when I was younger and would be hyper).

External factors that seem to change how I react include the people I'm with and the environment I'm in. I've found that If I have 1 or 2 pints with a couple of people I've just met then I will really feel the effects of it! Don't have a clue why.

On the subject of tolerance, I was reading Oscar Wilde's Personal Impressions of America last night and at one point he's discussing a trip to "Leadville - the richest city in the world" and after meeting the ruffians there he was invited to supper. After he descended into a mine in a bucket he was given a three course meal; Whiskey, whiskey & whiskey. Imagine that for supper every night, wouldn't be surprised if they grew immune! Jesus.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
13-02-2016, 09:44 AM
(12-02-2016 12:14 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just look at a bottle of wine and I feel drunk. Fortunately I can't stand the taste of alcohol. It all taste like shoe polish. I've had very expensive wine and blah! Yuck. I can't fathom how people drink the stuff.

Hey darlin', you could be my wife. Big Grin My wife loves theatre, and I know you do too, and she hates the taste of alcohol. She also doesn't like anything that might cause her to lose control of her mouth. That is, she always must be in complete control of what she says to other people.

I also do not like the loss of control that comes from drinking alcohol but I love the taste of booze. However, many years ago, when I was a young physics student, several of us went into the physics lab with a few bottles of booze. We were all hard drinkers and thought we had developed a tolerance to alcohol but, in fact, we had slowed reaction times. We measured reaction times before hitting the booze and after a few drinks and the difference was astounding. It occurred to all of us that if our physical reaction times had slowed as much as they did, our mental reaction times must have slowed as much even though we didn't stagger or slur words.

I must admit, as much as I disapprove of drinking, I sometimes, but rarely, take a shot of vodka before going to bed. I like the taste of vodka but more than that, I fight insomnia and it helps me sleep.

The thing is I don't need alcohol to be silly. I've been to parties and gotten so giggly and goofy that people think I'm drunk. They wanna know what I'm drinking (Sprite). It depends on the people and environment but I can laugh myself into mock drunkenness.

What can I say, I'm just drunk on fun.

Ew, "I'm drunk on fun"..that sounded like something a mormon would say. Ick.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Like George Thorogood said "I drink alone!" I did the whole AA thing, but think they need a graduation, instead of celebrating the fact that they are just one day away from falling off the wagon!
13-02-2016, 11:07 AM
(13-02-2016 06:51 AM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  Little over 3 years without any. Tough part is living with a practicing alcoholic.

DJ

Yes, that would be tough. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-02-2016, 11:10 AM
(13-02-2016 09:48 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Like George Thorogood said "I drink alone!" I did the whole AA thing, but think they need a graduation, instead of celebrating the fact that they are just one day away from falling off the wagon!

Well, that would be in total opposition to their understanding of alcoholism. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2016, 11:20 AM
(13-02-2016 06:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I make my own Kaluha using maple syrup.

I made some last year with 190 proof Everclear - making it about 100 proof Kaluha....

You don't have any problems sleeping -- but you'll have some of the fuckweirdest dreams you've ever had.......

I think I want me some of that shit.

#sigh
13-02-2016, 11:28 AM
(13-02-2016 11:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:48 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Like George Thorogood said "I drink alone!" I did the whole AA thing, but think they need a graduation, instead of celebrating the fact that they are just one day away from falling off the wagon!

Well, that would be in total opposition to their understanding of alcoholism. Drinking Beverage

I think their understanding is wrong and extreme. Telling a longtime sober alcoholic that they are one drink away from hell is bullshit.

#sigh
13-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Fuck. I'm seeing two wagons. Which one do I get on?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
13-02-2016, 12:01 PM
(13-02-2016 11:56 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Fuck. I'm seeing two wagons. Which one do I get on?

Put a hand over one eye.... Just like drunk drivers trying to figure out which one is the "real" road......

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post