Tolerance to Alcohol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: Tolerance to Alcohol
I'm pushing the limits of my tolerance tonight. I'm unusually maudlin tonight so I'll stop posting now.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Teetotaler here, but funnily enough, I can drink quite a lot and not get drunk. It's quite bizarre.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
13-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I'm experiencing a low tolerance for alcohol right now.

.... Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
13-02-2016, 11:59 PM
(12-02-2016 06:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My SO and I were talking last night -- and she said something that my mother said once ---- "I can't even really tell if you HAVE been drinking."

I've always liked alcohol. As a kid - (probably 11 or so) I tried beer -- it didn't take me long to develop the taste.

It's been one of those things that was always around.

But it never seemed to be a problem with me. I've never gotten into any trouble with it -- legal, or personal. I just enjoy it.

But, for me to get drunk -- it takes a fair bit. I can easily drink a pint of whiskey, and most people wouldn't even notice that I'd had a drink. If I drink much more than that - I always just fall asleep.

It even seems to be a bit "photoreactive" to me, in that if I have one or two drinks during the day -- I need a nap.....

I might go a month, or even two -- having drinks each night - and then if I don't drink - for a night, a week or even 6 months - it really doesn't bother me. After my last major motorcycle accident, I went 3 years without.

The WORST thing about drinking - especially before going to bed -- is the excess calories.... You can really pork out on it. Second worse is having to piss in the middle of the night -- why I rarely drink beer anymore.

So - how's it for you??

Friend, foe, night time sleep aid, or monkey on your back???

I've recently entered recovery to address my alcoholism. For the last few years I've drank at least a six-pack a night. High-functioning, no DUIs or job loss from it, never drinking before or during work, but my alcoholism has hurt people whom i love and it's past time I stopped it.

My tolerance was never too high, because I never enjoyed getting blotto so I never worked that muscle out. By the end of the second beer I could feel the buzz starting.

Sober since January 1st, with a one-day lapse at the end of that month. Not going back.
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-02-2016, 12:34 AM
(13-02-2016 11:59 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My SO and I were talking last night -- and she said something that my mother said once ---- "I can't even really tell if you HAVE been drinking."

I've always liked alcohol. As a kid - (probably 11 or so) I tried beer -- it didn't take me long to develop the taste.

It's been one of those things that was always around.

But it never seemed to be a problem with me. I've never gotten into any trouble with it -- legal, or personal. I just enjoy it.

But, for me to get drunk -- it takes a fair bit. I can easily drink a pint of whiskey, and most people wouldn't even notice that I'd had a drink. If I drink much more than that - I always just fall asleep.

It even seems to be a bit "photoreactive" to me, in that if I have one or two drinks during the day -- I need a nap.....

I might go a month, or even two -- having drinks each night - and then if I don't drink - for a night, a week or even 6 months - it really doesn't bother me. After my last major motorcycle accident, I went 3 years without.

The WORST thing about drinking - especially before going to bed -- is the excess calories.... You can really pork out on it. Second worse is having to piss in the middle of the night -- why I rarely drink beer anymore.

So - how's it for you??

Friend, foe, night time sleep aid, or monkey on your back???

I've recently entered recovery to address my alcoholism. For the last few years I've drank at least a six-pack a night. High-functioning, no DUIs or job loss from it, never drinking before or during work, but my alcoholism has hurt people whom i love and it's past time I stopped it.

My tolerance was never too high, because I never enjoyed getting blotto so I never worked that muscle out. By the end of the second beer I could feel the buzz starting.

Sober since January 1st, with a one-day lapse at the end of that month. Not going back.

Good on you. Smile

I didn't push my light weightiness much, my buzz has come and gone with one large wine.

I'm glad you're doing what you set out to do and wish you well of it.

Alcoholics run in my family up until my parents. They drank some and even sometimes frequently but were never alcoholics. They had alcoholic behaviors though which was not good.

You're a strong minded person, you've got the guts for it. If you need to talk about it, this place is always open. Be well. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
14-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Heath. I've got a pretty good support network in place. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-02-2016, 07:18 AM
(13-02-2016 11:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 11:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that would be in total opposition to their understanding of alcoholism. Drinking Beverage

I think their understanding is wrong and extreme. Telling a longtime sober alcoholic that they are one drink away from hell is bullshit.

My post was not a judgement of AA's program, merely a statement of fact.

But apropos your comment, that aphorism is primarily directed at the recently sober. But it is also a caution to those with longtime sobriety that complacency is dangerous.
Aphorisms Anonymous has many pithy sayings. Yes

In their literature, they clearly state that if you doubt you are alcoholic then by all means go out and try controlled drinking. It is all about what the individual decides about his or her drinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2016, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 12:24 PM by adey67.)
OB I sympathise with you. As an alcoholic in recovery I have an inbuilt resistance to alcohol and it never truly goes away my advice is to knock it on the head perhaps except for a beer every now and then if you can stand it.
Many folk think of alcohol dependant folks as being hobos incapable of functioning rationally and who sit in the park drinking liquor from a bottle in a paper bag this is false. Being able to drink a pint of whiskey without too much consequence or effect is not normal and I know you are probably gonna hate me for saying this but I think you may possibly have a problem and I desperately want to help you if I can. The fact you felt it necessary to write your original post is to my mind indicative of this as a possibility, although not definite but I'm pretty sure it's causing you some concern, please feel free to pm me any time and anything you say will be in strict confidence. We may not agree on animal issues but you are a human being and I care about you and if I can help you I would love to do so all the best adey
07-03-2016, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 12:22 PM by adey67.)
BTW. I am a secular alcoholic not bound by AA and just want to help a fellow atheist it is not my intention or desire to offend you or give you a label I'm simply responding to what you posted
07-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Just something fun to have from time to time. On the occasions when I have too much I then avoid it for a few months cause eww. But I've never "needed" it or anything.

My sperm donors side of the family is full of raging alcoholics, so thats always been in the back of my mind. Luckily it doesnt seem to have rubbed off.