Tolkien Dwarf holds could such things actually work?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Tolkien Dwarf holds could such things actually work?
Tolkien´s Hobbit and LotR have more or less cemented the fact that Dwarfs lives inside huge mountain strongholds carved out inside the mountain.

Now while i love both the books and the movies, i always questioned how realistic such a mountain stronghold as seen in the Hobbit and LotR might actually be.
My main concern is how these mountains was created in the first place, through tectonic upheaval.
And since the tectonic forces haven´t stopped after the mountains where created, i could only imagine that all it would take would be one strong earthquake and the entire stronghold would collapse in on itself.

So would the largest threat to Tolkiens dwarfs not be the forces of nature itself rather then any Balrog or Dragon, or could such a structure as seen in Tolkiens work actually work in real life?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2015, 09:13 AM
RE: Tolkien Dwarf holds could such things actually work?
Dwarf hold.

I thought ... wrestling?

Sorry. Carry on Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Heaven......I'm in heaven....

Sorry sidetracked.

I'm sure it wouldn't be practical or terribly safe in real life, but it makes a damn fine story.
14-02-2015, 09:28 AM
But why single out the dwarves as all beings are most susceptible to the forces of nature? Wouldn't the elves be screwed if a gusty wind happened by Rivendell?

But to answer your query, I find the hollowed-out mountains to be scientifically questionable because of the extent to which they are carved. It's not like it's a modern-day tunnel with reinforced rebarb. But if the fortress is structurely sound and reinforced for just such a catastrophe (after all, Ents can walk and talk so why couldn't dwarves carve out a mountain to withstand the elements?) then I think the Orcs, Balrog and Smaug are their biggest threats, other than their obsession with gold and the Arkenstone (which turns their leaders' brains to mush).

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Maybe with help from Tinkerbelle and The Keebler Elves it could be possible Laugh out load My fantasies while on shrooms aside, scientifcally, probably not legit.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-02-2015, 12:35 AM
(14-02-2015 09:00 AM)Erikjust Wrote:  My main concern is how these mountains was created in the first place, through tectonic upheaval.
What timescale does tectonic upheaval work on?
Decades, Centuries, Millennia or Millions of years?
15-02-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm not really sure Tolkien cared much about the science of it, I mean, almost anything could happen in that world.

Let us not forget that the dwarf-kings had magic rings which could have helped in all that and they were created by a demigod who was the lord of all stones, metals etc on Earth, which, if you ask me, must have been pretty damn helpful.

You can't really go "realistic" with Tolkien, but I'm sure there were earthquakes and I'm sure there was some damage that they fixed now and then. I can only assume that, with the support of magic and even a demigod, the dwarves must have been experts in building steady stuff inside mountains.

Given that there are no dwarves, magic and demigods, I doubt any normal human being would be able to replicate those halls in real life.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post