Tom Magliozzi - Car Talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2014, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 04:51 PM by Full Circle.)
Tom Magliozzi - Car Talk
I am a huge fan of Car Talk. The brothers Ray and Tom have made me laugh hard and often over the last fifteen years, sometimes so hard stuff came out my nose and my sides would hurt.

Tom, the older of the two just died, and I can sincerely say I will miss greatly someone I never met but feel like I know.

The gems from the grease pit were fresh and funny and tomorrow, Saturday the 8th, Ray will eulogize Tom on NPR's Car Talk.

On their Facebook page you can find some of his great quotes.

"How do you know you have a great mechanic? By the size of his boat."

And remember.
Ray: "Don't drive like my brother.."
Tom: "Don't drive like my brother."

http://www.cartalk.com

Sadcryface

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
07-11-2014, 04:54 PM
RE: Tom Magliozzi - Car Talk
Yep, I was sorry to hear that as well. I've been listening pretty regularly for more than 20 years now. Tom showed me that it can be OK to be "unencumbered by the thought process" from time to time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
(07-11-2014 04:54 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Yep, I was sorry to hear that as well. I've been listening pretty regularly for more than 20 years now. Tom showed me that it can be OK to be "unencumbered by the thought process" from time to time.

They do re-runs of old shows every week out here. I think they plan to continue.
I liked their crazy "staff" names at the end.
I couldn't figure out why I was so sad to hear about him ... it was like a family member died.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I loved the Car Guys and I don't give a shit about car engines but they made it so fun and interesting that I actually learned a few things about cars. One thing I learned after his death is that he went to MIT. Who knew.

So I guess they've been airing old reruns for a while. I didn't even know that Tom was so ill. What am I gonna do on Saturday mornings now?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-11-2014, 05:15 PM
(07-11-2014 05:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 04:54 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Yep, I was sorry to hear that as well. I've been listening pretty regularly for more than 20 years now. Tom showed me that it can be OK to be "unencumbered by the thought process" from time to time.

They do re-runs of old shows every week out here. I think they plan to continue.
I couldn't figure out why I was so sad to hear about him ... it was like a family member died.

Like their Russian chauffeur Pickop Dropof

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-11-2014, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 07:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-11-2014 05:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 05:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They do re-runs of old shows every week out here. I think they plan to continue.

Like their Russian chauffeur Pickop Dropof

Pickup Andropoff
Erasmus Beedraggin
OMG : Look at all these http://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
(07-11-2014 05:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

They were like a couple of fun and entertaining uncles. I was very sad to hear this news.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-11-2014, 05:35 PM
They where also educated from MIT! Incredible smart dudes. They will be missed.

I am sad to say I didn't catch their live shows on NPR. I've only heard them recently over the summer on the weekends.
07-11-2014, 05:39 PM
(07-11-2014 05:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 05:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Like their Russian chauffeur Pickop Dropof

Pickup Andropff
Erasmus Bedraggin

Fucking hilarious! I had no idea there were so many.

Airline Seat Tester: Wilma Butfit Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2014, 06:05 PM
(07-11-2014 05:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 05:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Pickup Andropff
Erasmus Bedraggin

Fucking hilarious! I had no idea there were so many.

Airline Seat Tester: Wilma Butfit Laughat

The list isn't complete... statistician Marge Innovera isn't there (I looked because I always thought it might have been better as Margie Novera)

I do like their loan officer, I O Silver, and the corporate spokesperson, Hugh Lyon Sack.

The shows have been repeats for a couple of years now but since they've got more than 35 years of shows it'll take a while to hear them all again. It does seem odd now when so many people are calling in with cars from the mid '70s but the actual car talk was never the best part.

Quote:Posit the question: Do two people who don't know what they are talking about know more or less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about? (Pardon the un-PC masculine pronoun, but I have found this to be, most predominately, a male phenomenon.)

In your recent conversations regarding electric brakes on a cattle carrier, I believe you definitely answered this query and have put our debate to rest. Amazingly enough, you proved that even in a case where one person might know nothing about a subject, it is possible for two people to know even less!

One person will only go so far out on a limb in his construction of deeply hypothetical structures, and will often end with a shrug or a raising of hands to indicate the dismissability of his particular take on a subject. With two people, the intricacies, the gives and takes, the wherefores and why-nots, can become a veritable pas-de-deux of breathtaking speculation, interwoven in such a way that apologies or gestures of doubt are rendered unnecessary.

Rest in peace Tom. (no offense WillHopp!)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post