Tom Short

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Tom Short
I'm wondering if members here have encountered Tom Short, perhaps on their college campus:

http://www.tomthepreacher.com/

Thank you.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2014, 09:55 AM
RE: Tom Short
(17-11-2014 09:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm wondering if members here have encountered Tom Short, perhaps on their college campus:

http://www.tomthepreacher.com/

Thank you.

What a sad waste of a life.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
17-11-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm long past college, so no. I've never heard of the guy. But I looked at his website and it only took a minute to come across this:

Quote:Why are there atheists?
A denial of God's existence is rarely the result of genuine intellectual inquiry. It is almost always a matter of the heart and will. A person might offer various justifications for his unbelief, but ultimately simply refusing to honor God is the reason he rejects his Creator.

In one brief statement, he reveals:
a) He has no clue what he is talking about.
b) He'll post things as fact despite never having researched them to ensure accuracy.
c) He only thinks talking about men is relevant (...he rejects his Creator.)
d) He thinks his god cares that he capitalizes the "c" in "creator". Rolleyes

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like Impulse's post
17-11-2014, 10:01 AM
(17-11-2014 09:55 AM)Impulse Wrote:  d) He thinks his god cares that he capitalizes the "c" in "creator". Rolleyes

And he'd probably be right if he existed. Their God is undoubtedly enough of a petty jackass to care about that type of thing.

Personally, what I got from that message is "I'm projecting theists' behavior onto atheists".

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
17-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Quote:Why are there atheists?
A denial of God's existence is rarely the result of genuine intellectual inquiry. It is almost always a matter of the heart and will. A person might offer various justifications for his unbelief, but ultimately simply refusing to honor God is the reason he rejects his Creator.
By "refusing to honor God" does Tom mean to imply that ultimately it is my pride that I reject God? I'm too prideful to accept God?
17-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Re: RE: Tom Short
(17-11-2014 10:08 AM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  By "refusing to honor God" does Tom mean to imply that ultimately it is my pride that I reject God? I'm too prideful to accept God?

Generally speaking, yes. Many theists try to explain us by saying we're angry at God or that we are prideful or we've had some traumatic experience. I also hear it's because we want to sin.
17-11-2014, 11:08 AM
(17-11-2014 11:00 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  Generally speaking, yes. Many theists try to explain us by saying we're angry at God or that we are prideful or we've had some traumatic experience. I also hear it's because we want to sin.

Whatever gets him through the day, I guess.
17-11-2014, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2014 11:36 AM by photon9.)
Why are there theists?

An affirmation of God's existence is never the result of genuine intellectual inquiry. It is always a matter of heart and will. A person will offer various justifications for his belief, but ultimately he is simply too stupid, obstinate, willfully ignorant and afraid of being wrong to try to understand science and logic. This is the reason he defaults to accepting a god creator.

Fixed!
[+] 7 users Like photon9's post
17-11-2014, 11:43 AM
He's willfully denying reality, while claiming we are simply in denial.

I can handle stupidity and fear, but when theists assert that we refuse to believe in their little punk bitch Yahweh, its because despite knowing he's real, we choose to deny him so we can live morally bankrupt lives. I know I only deny him so I can rape virgins and force them to marry me...
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
17-11-2014, 11:45 AM
It's ironic that he preaches on college campuses as the messages in his "banners" are designed to take advantage of ignorance. Each of his points basically says "I can't possibly comprehend how this could happen without god." I stopped reading after the "Need proof of god? Look in the mirror" train wreck.

If I ever run into this guy I'll ask him why his god gave men nipples and belly hair.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?