Tom Short

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: Tom Short
(04-12-2014 12:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:13 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm underwhelmed by the recent responses. Please try again.

You get what you pay for. Drinking Beverage

Good one! I mean that. It was funny.

But I do pay a bit of a price to be here. It ain't pretty here, and no one is going even mildly out of their way to make it pretty. Oh, well. My choice.

Still underwhelmed, though. Please either tackle my magnificent argument above or present me with one of your own to chew on. Angel

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
(04-12-2014 03:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Good one! I mean that. It was funny.

But I do pay a bit of a price to be here. It ain't pretty here, and no one is going even mildly out of their way to make it pretty. Oh, well. My choice.

Still underwhelmed, though. Please either tackle my magnificent argument above or present me with one of your own to chew on. Angel

There was also a serious point in there that I'm pretty sure you missed. It was: if you want quality replies, you should give the same. I think sometimes you do, but too often you don't. "Quality" isn't just about quantity or replying to someone else's point. It's also about intellectual honesty, staying on point, leaving out nonsense like "the Q", and actually addressing someone else's point, not just replying to it. I think many of the replies you get are a reaction to the replies you give.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
04-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Returning the 'Jump in and throw a comment' flavor.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Are you unaware that in a world of growing specialization in science, and an ever-widening sheer amount of human knowledge, that many scientists and their work are the very embodiment of esoteric knowledge?

What? Because there's so much information about what all the many, varied, multiple disciplines of science are going on so much then it's become something the poor (Am postulating you'd also add Dumb' into a qualifier of that) then it's all become mystical and 'Faith', just like theology?

Balderdash.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Don't you understand that how we know scientific knowledge is as important as how we know God Himself?

No.. I don't understand that at all.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  We both should defend what we know and believe not with insults and complaints but with our understanding--in this case, of epistemology.

Why should we either have to defend our beliefs?
Why can we not continue to question everything inducing our beliefs?

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What would you like me to do to enhance our dialogue? I'll do it if I can.

That would be nice and I'll be intrigued to see any reply posts (Though I acknowledge that the post I'm replying to was not aimed at m'self, parse.)

Much cheers to all.
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
(04-12-2014 03:49 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:20 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Good one! I mean that. It was funny.

There was also a serious point in there that I'm pretty sure you missed. It was: if you want quality replies, you should give the same. I think sometimes you do, but too often you don't. "Quality" isn't just about quantity or replying to someone else's point. It's also about intellectual honesty, staying on point, leaving out nonsense like "the Q", and actually addressing someone else's point, not just replying to it. I think many of the replies you get are a reaction to the replies you give.

What scorecard do you use? I appreciate your point. However, I sit there and laboriously do a detailed response including multiple points--and receive dozens of mocking, obnoxious, vile responses. I KNOW how intelligent atheists are. Why do they act like cretins on these threads, (mostly) do you think?

Honestly, I think when you write, "I think many of the replies you get are a reaction to the replies you give," that if by many you mean most or even a significant plurality, you are in a dreaming state. A lot of my posts are considerate and thoughtful and met with derision and mocking. Unfortunately or fortunately, it's just more proof positive of some of Jesus's statements about His followers.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
(05-12-2014 12:29 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What scorecard do you use? I appreciate your point. However, I sit there and laboriously do a detailed response including multiple points--and receive dozens of mocking, obnoxious, vile responses. I KNOW how intelligent atheists are. Why do they act like cretins on these threads, (mostly) do you think?

Honestly, I think when you write, "I think many of the replies you get are a reaction to the replies you give," that if by many you mean most or even a significant plurality, you are in a dreaming state. A lot of my posts are considerate and thoughtful and met with derision and mocking. Unfortunately or fortunately, it's just more proof positive of some of Jesus's statements about His followers.

It's not the detail, but the content.

Honesty is the biggest problem I see from you. You seem more interested in winning an argument than examining the facts honestly. I just got through replying to your 4 interpretations of the word "coming" in the other thread. I mean, seriously? Personally I find THE meaning of the word in it's proper context obvious and, it's only when you don't want to admit that Jesus failed to come as he was supposed to, that you start thinking "well, there must be another meaning that fits" instead of "wait, maybe he did fail to come".

Also, I never claimed no one else here is ever guilty of responding to you rudely. But mostly when I see that, it doesn't surprise me because first impressions count a lot. You came here originally doing nothing, but asking questions and sounding all high and arrogant. You have improved on the questions part especially, but people don't forget how it was and that creates a context for how it is. Plus, with the dishonesty factor, it certainly doesn't help.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
05-12-2014, 03:22 PM
(04-12-2014 07:28 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Returning the 'Jump in and throw a comment' flavor.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Are you unaware that in a world of growing specialization in science, and an ever-widening sheer amount of human knowledge, that many scientists and their work are the very embodiment of esoteric knowledge?

What? Because there's so much information about what all the many, varied, multiple disciplines of science are going on so much then it's become something the poor (Am postulating you'd also add Dumb' into a qualifier of that) then it's all become mystical and 'Faith', just like theology?

Balderdash.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Don't you understand that how we know scientific knowledge is as important as how we know God Himself?

No.. I don't understand that at all.

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  We both should defend what we know and believe not with insults and complaints but with our understanding--in this case, of epistemology.

Why should we either have to defend our beliefs?
Why can we not continue to question everything inducing our beliefs?

(04-12-2014 11:22 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What would you like me to do to enhance our dialogue? I'll do it if I can.

That would be nice and I'll be intrigued to see any reply posts (Though I acknowledge that the post I'm replying to was not aimed at m'self, parse.)

Much cheers to all.

No, not mystical... esoteric means "limited people have" this knowledge. I was roundly attacked for mentioning that we need to know how to acquire certain esoteric knowledge, when science is getting a bit specialized.

05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
(05-12-2014 02:10 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 12:29 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What scorecard do you use? I appreciate your point. However, I sit there and laboriously do a detailed response including multiple points--and receive dozens of mocking, obnoxious, vile responses. I KNOW how intelligent atheists are. Why do they act like cretins on these threads, (mostly) do you think?

It's not the detail, but the content.

Honesty is the biggest problem I see from you. You seem more interested in winning an argument than examining the facts honestly. I just got through replying to your 4 interpretations of the word "coming" in the other thread. I mean, seriously? Personally I find THE meaning of the word in it's proper context obvious and, it's only when you don't want to admit that Jesus failed to come as he was supposed to, that you start thinking "well, there must be another meaning that fits" instead of "wait, maybe he did fail to come".

Also, I never claimed no one else here is ever guilty of responding to you rudely. But mostly when I see that, it doesn't surprise me because first impressions count a lot. You came here originally doing nothing, but asking questions and sounding all high and arrogant. You have improved on the questions part especially, but people don't forget how it was and that creates a context for how it is. Plus, with the dishonesty factor, it certainly doesn't help.

The tone of this last post seems sincere from you. I hope my tone sounds sincere also.

I haven't changed my rubric in--oh, as long as I can remember--about contradictions. The only honest way is to accept them at face value and then go through the implications. A sub-part of that is realizing how many issues there are in an English Bible. I went to the Greek. Four of five meanings in the first concordance I looked at gave other senses of the word. Your contradiction was new to me--I can't recall hearing it before. I looked in the Greek and said "oh."

06-12-2014, 03:39 AM
(05-12-2014 03:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No, not mystical... esoteric means "limited people have" this knowledge. I was roundly attacked for mentioning that we need to know how to acquire certain esoteric knowledge, when science is getting a bit specialized.

You were chirped ("roundly attacked" - fuck, *now* you're growing a thin skin?) for implying that there is scientific knowledge which is gained through science and a body of "esoteric knowledge" which either cannot be accessed by or is ignored by science, and which somehow scientists are now more in touch with, possibly because they're spending time navel gazing, which is what you seem to do a lot of.

And now you try to pretend that you were just referring to increasing specialization in science. Bullshit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-12-2014, 10:51 AM
(05-12-2014 03:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I haven't changed my rubric in--oh, as long as I can remember--about contradictions. The only honest way is to accept them at face value and then go through the implications. A sub-part of that is realizing how many issues there are in an English Bible. I went to the Greek. Four of five meanings in the first concordance I looked at gave other senses of the word. Your contradiction was new to me--I can't recall hearing it before. I looked in the Greek and said "oh."

So the Greek one was the one where you said "oh". So then why did you present 4 interpretations to me? Which one was the Greek one? And why was that the one - because it fit your preconceptions?

Like I said, dishonesty is your biggest problem.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-12-2014, 05:50 PM
The good thing about translations is there are are so many to choose from.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post